"Download this email as a PDF" button

• Idea
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: EOL CLEANUP

I would love to have the option of including a "Download this email as a PDF" button to the emails we send. It's a request we have been receiving from our audience and the current method I have to achieve this is very time-consuming. Basically, I have to send every email to myself, go into the results for that email so I can save the webview as a PDF, and then attach that PDF to a copy of the original email before I send it to our audience. I think this type of feature would be great to include down in the "Select Sharing Options" area in the footer of the email.
Photo of UltraCraft Division

UltraCraft Division

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there!

Thanks so much for this!  I love that idea!   

In order to help you out right now, I would suggest that if you're getting requests for a PDF version, you can suggest to them to opening the webview that's already there in the mailing, and then saving or "printing" it as a PDF from there in their browser.  That way you don't have to do it manually. 

But I will certainly pass this along to our Product Team as a request for a future update, and I'll keep you posted here on any updates we get from them! 

- Grey 
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Also, if anyone else out there would be interested in this feature, make sure to leave feedback below as a comment so I can add you in to the request for this feature! 
Photo of Community Technology Network

Community Technology Network

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I would love having this feature. I struggle with creating a pdf from the webview because I have to remove the bottom portion of the email that goes out each time. I need pdf's of each newsletter to not only send to members but also add as links to our website. Thank you. 
Photo of Hancock Regional Hospital

Hancock Regional Hospital

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
This is a great idea. I work in healthcare, and our associates don't typically have time to sit and read through e-mails (patient care being the priority over musing through e-mails). I am sure they would appreciate the ability to print a PDF to stow in their locker for later reading.
(Edited)
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
I've got you added in here too!  :)  

Have a great day!
Photo of Noah Shunfenthal

Noah Shunfenthal

• 21 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
This is a good idea since we run promotional emails that we send off to third parties for invoices - has to be full screenshots and not the emails themselves. Just cuts down my workflow if I can export a full PDF instead of viewing in browser and screenshotting.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Thanks Noah!  (and thanks for jumping in and adding a lot of feedback on other posts too!) 

FYI, if YOU were needing a PDF version of the mailing, you can grab one from the Response Overview page.  

https://support.e2ma.net/Resource_Center/Account_how-to/Save_your_mailing_and_response_as_a_PDF

If there's a specific mailing that you need folks to have a PDF version of, you can send a copy of the mailing to yourself, then grab the PDF from response, upload it into your documents library, and provide a link in the mailing to download it.  It's a bit of a workaround, but it works if you need it!  

Cheers!

-Grey
Photo of Hannah Kerr

Hannah Kerr

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
is there a better way to do this now? The PDF doesn't save in a very user friendly way.
Photo of Hancock Regional Hospital

Hancock Regional Hospital

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I wish there was!
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
I did learn a trick recently that makes using the PDF generator a little better.  

If your mailing is long, you'll notice that it will squeeze the email onto a single page, making the content section skinny.  

By adjusting a number in the URL, you can actually adjust how wide the mailing is rendering.  

At the end of the URL you'll see a section that says "&cw=3500"  or some such number.  That "w" there is "width".  

So at the end of the URL, change that number to 1000 and see how that looks.  You can try out a few different numbers to dial that in how you'd like before saving the PDF.  

I hope that helps!  

- G
Photo of Hannah Kerr

Hannah Kerr

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
that is helpful! What about the long skinny amount of white dead space? Is there a way to get rid of that?
Photo of Noah Shunfenthal

Noah Shunfenthal

• 21 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Looks like the URL parameter "ch" that is just before "cw" will change the height. The height seems to automatically scale according to the width somehow (haven't had enough coffee yet to figure out exactly). I made the height and width basically a square and my email cut off most of the extra spacing even though my email is way longer than 800px -

&ch=800&cw=800

Play with it and see what works for you!
(Edited)
Photo of Community Technology Network

Community Technology Network

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I would love having this feature. I struggle with creating a pdf from the webview because I have to remove the bottom portion of the email that goes out each time. I need pdf's of each newsletter not only send to members but also to add as links to our website. Thank you.