100% send campaign stuck "in progress" and bounce list is not complete

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Acknowledged
I sent a campaign 21 hours ago but it still is listed "in progress". Also, there are 7 bounces but when I click on the number 7 and go to the bounce list, only 4 of them show up on the list. This happened with my previous campaign as well. Is this the new normal?
Photo of Cynthia

• 122 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Laura Dickerson

Laura Dickerson, Official Rep

• 778 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Cynthia,

The reason that your mailing is still in progress is because you have soft bounce emails that are still trying to be delivered by Emma. This can take up to 30 hours after the original send. I usually tell folks that when looking at your Response data, it is finalized once it kicks over to the Completed tab. Up until then, it is truly still in progress. The 100% sent is incorrect - but it should settle to the right number once completed.

The bounces are set up in two main categories:
  1. Soft bounce (a three-digit response code starting with a 4) – A temporary failure due to an outage, full mailbox or other issue that should resolve itself. Soft bounces are considered temporary, so delivery is reattempted over a 30-hour period before giving up on reaching the receiving server. This can happen for four mailings in a row before we will move the address from Active to Error.
  2. Hard bounce (a three-digit response code starting with a 5) – A permanent obstruction to email delivery, such as a nonexistent email address, a block due to a content or the server is rejecting your email as junk mail. Hard bounces are deemed invalid and moved to Error status. They won't be emailed to again unless you re-activate them.
The information in the Response tab generally updates after a full 24 hours, but those soft bounces can hold the final numbers up a bit. 

I hope that helps!