403 Error with Image Links

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Not a Problem
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

I put together an email for a client and I created URLs with google tracking using Google's URL Builder. Everything seemed to be working fine. I sent a test email no problem. So I sent out the final email to the list. I noticed that I wasn't getting any click throughs on my image links with these tracking code URLs. So I sent an email to myself and noticed that I was getting 403 error with these links. So I went back in and created a new mailing with just the basic URL (no tracking code) and now when I send it to myself again it comes up with the wrong URL. It seems there's something stuck in some server cache somewhere. 

This is not a good situation. 
Photo of Clinical Marketing

Clinical Marketing

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • stressed

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hello there! Which mailing are you working in? I would love to take a look at those links to see if anything jumps out at me. 

Clinical Marketing

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It was my August Mailing.  It really sort of sucked as I had to resend the whole email and my client wasn't very happy about the situation. 

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hello - I compared your August Mailing with the August Mailing - Email Links Simple. I am not seeing a difference in those links. I was able to open links from both tests in my inbox. Are you still getting the 403 error?

Clinical Marketing

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I set-up Google UTM links for the images in the orginal email (August Mailing). Everything tested out ok, but it did something funky (e.g. link didn't work) when it was actually finally sent out. In the Email Links Simple, the UTM links were removed and just the basic links used. 

Clinical Marketing

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is why this threw me for a loop as I thought everything was ok when i tested things, but it fell apart when I did the official send. 

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
I see. After sending myself the mailing (not a test) I also get that 403 error. Digging into this further!! Thanks for hanging in there. 

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey there -- I've gotten to the bottom of this issue. Thank you for your patience!

What you're dealing with here is your links changing after you apply the Google Analytics to the campaign. The reason your test links work and your mailing links don't is due to the fact that applying the GA campaign name actually manipulates the links in your campaign. Because you don't apply the GA campaign name until the Review and Send page, the test emails you sent were not affected by this. We have heard of this from a few other customers, and we are working to see what changes we can make on our end to make the process more foolproof.

You can also make a few tweaks to your workflow to avoid this in the future. First, be sure to inlcude the alt text for the image when linking the image. This helps to keep the link intact after adding the Google Analytics. You can also test your links more accurately by making a copy of your mailing and sending it via "Review & send" to your test group, checking the links. Then you can send your mailing to your intended contacts.

I hope this helps!

Clinical Marketing

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Emily, 

Thanks for the clarification. I do think this is a real problem with the software. I even reviewed Emma's help documents "Adding Google Analytics to Your Campaign" and I don't see anything relating to what you're saying needs to be done to avoid this specific error.  Obviously next time I will send out a final email version before sending to the email list, but that defeats the purpose of sending out a test email. 

Unfortunately I need to pass on a significant discount to my client given that their email newsletter had broken links and the email had to be sent out a second time. I'm hoping that you can help in this regard. 

Thanks, 
Andrew

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Andrew -- I certainly understand your frustration here. I have your email address on file and will reach out!