503 Error when hyperlinks clicked due to wordpress not being able to interpret the tracking link.

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Hi there, Whenever links are clicked on my mailing, a redirect code is added to the end of the link, such as. mywordpresssite.com/2013/1/1/my-page/?thetrackingcodeforemma.
This causes a 503 error. Are there any tips that anyone can provide? Thanks! Luke
Photo of Sous Style

Sous Style

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Sous Style

Sous Style

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have further identified the problem to be part of the utm_content tag. Whenever I remove the utm_content tag, the link successfully works to the site.

The first link works, while the second does not:
http://sousstyle.com/2014/02/05/super-sous-bowl-ladies-who-lunch/?utm_campaign=WKND_0209&utm_med...
http://sousstyle.com/2014/02/05/super-sous-bowl-ladies-who-lunch/?utm_campaign=WKND_0209&utm_med...
Photo of Sous Style

Sous Style

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ok, so i figured out the exact problem. The .htaccess is not allowing the URL because where the image is uploaded, cloudfront.net, is not the sousstyle.com domain. (after utm_source). Does anyone know anyway to edit the htaccess file in order to allow this other domain to go through (or remove it all together). Thanks
Photo of Cassie Berman

Cassie Berman, Alum

• 153 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Have you tried sending a test without Google Analytics? That's where the utm code comes from. Though we haven't heard from customers whose sites couldn't handle click-throughs due to image hosting on the cloudfront, we have heard from folks who opted to add a Google Analytics campaign name on the review and send page, only to find that their websites could not handle utm tracking code.

That utm code is necessary to track page visits using Google Analytics, and is not specific to Emma. You might want to check out this Community conversation where we've discussed the Google Analytics utm issue with other customers.

I just did a quick search online, and found a Wordpress plugin to enable Google Analytics tracking, but I don't know if that would fix your problem or not because I am not Wordpress-savvy. If I were you, I'd dig around a bit on their help pages to learn more about how that works.

I hope this helps!
Photo of Sous Style

Sous Style

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hey Cassie, Thanks so much for the response!
Adding the alt tags to the image totally worked, now the utm_content doesn't include the URL from cloudfront, it includes the data from the alt tag -  which successfully allows the link to pass through.

The reason it wasn't earlier was because the domain of the JPG was being included in the 'referrer' part of the link, and that needs a special htaccess entry, which I have no idea to do.

Thanks again for the help, have a great day!
Photo of Clinical Marketing

Clinical Marketing

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just sent out a newsletter for a client with images that have the Google URL Builder links and I'm getting a 403 error now. The 403 error doesn't come up when I send a test message, but it does when I do the real send. This isn't good. :(
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hello there - I'm sorry experiencing broken links. I just wanted to reach out here and let you know that I responded in your other post. I'll wait for your reply there!