Adjusting varying column widths by percentage

• Idea
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Not Planned
  • (Edited)
Hi,
It would be nice to adjust the size of the columns in an e-mail. For instance we use the 3 column layout for our largest conference of the year to highlight exhibitors and sponsors on the outside columns but have the middle column for our e-mail text. Right now all 3 columns have equal weight which takes away from the text. I would like it if we could adjust the size by percentage. For instance left column 25%, middle column 50%, right column 25%.
Photo of Amber Howell

Amber Howell

• 90 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Great idea, Amber! There are a couple options to achieve uneven columns, but making this a sliding scale percentage adjustment within the application isn't currently on our roadmap.

1) Coding your own HTML: If you have the HTML know-how, you can use the HTML template or pull in an HTML block to code your campaign and its columns, or

2) Design request: Our Design Team could hard-code your template so that there are three columns that are 25%, 50% and 25%. If you decide to go this route, simply submit your request through our form at www.myemma.com/design-form, and the designer you're connected with will give more information.
Photo of AGC of Washington

AGC of Washington

• 91 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Changing column width seems like a very simple thing and it's pretty disappointing that I have the tools to apparently add a column, but can't change the practically useless, very narrow column width of the new R-hand column that appears. What's the point of that??? Maybe I'm missing something, but I sure would like to be able to do this. I'm out of luck for now, huh?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I'm sorry you're frustrated! There are a few default settings in the account right now:

It sounds as though the right column doesn't work for you, but I'm wondering if perhaps there's content in the main body that's making your right column shrink, because I'm not seeing that the right column is very narrow:

Is your column appearing narrower than that? If so, will you please point me to a campaign where this is happening, and I'll take a look?

AGC of Washington

• 91 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Katie, thanks for the quick reply... I’m fairly new here and have been accessing/using MyEmma for almost two months, but can’t seem to log-in under my email address. Anyway it was me, not Jerry, who sent this question in.

Here’s the link to the page I’m working with:

https://app.e2ma.net/app2/campaigns/c...

Does that let you see what I'm working on?

- Sean

AGC of Washington

• 91 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I’m just trying to get that right column to be about 25-30% of the total width, narrowing, of course, the left main column at the same time... And if you know why I can’t directly log-in to the Support area, I’m interested in that too!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Well, that right column is very narrow! There are a couple of funky things happening:
  • First, when I look at the HTML behind the main text box, there are some tags that indicate the text was pasted from Microsoft Word. That isn't the best idea, as the formatting in that print-based program might not be compatible in an email environment. Instead, I suggest using a plaintext editor like editpad.org before pasting into your mailing and then using the formatting toolbar there.
  • Second, when I shorten the horizontal lines that were inserted, the sidebar readjusts -- but it still looks weird:

I've highlighted the righthand column so you can see all that extra space. (You'll notice that I also tried unformatting the text by placing my cursor in that text box and then clicking the toolbar icon that looks like a capital T and an x. I also tried deleting the bottom image, which seemed wide.)
  • Finally, I changed the template from Right Column to One Column, then back to Right Column. That made the column appear correctly:

Oh, and I did all of this in a separate mailing called "Emma copy." :)

With the login trouble you're having, the best way to access Emma Community is by logging into your Emma account, clicking the question mark icon at the top-right and accessing it from there. That ties any posts you make to your Emma account, which makes it loads easier for us to start assisting you!

AGC of Washington

• 91 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thanks very much, Katie. I do recall hearing about Word causing problems like that. I'll work with your new version and that might solve everything. And I thought I did all that log-in stuff, but I'll give that another shot.... Thanks again very much.

Sean
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
It's my pleasure, Sean!
Photo of Heal from Within

Heal from Within

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It actually would be nice to be able to adjust the size of a text box. I'm using a Winter Template. The heading is fine, but the text box below it is too narrow. Will we ever be able to click and drag to adjust text box size or column width. Unfortunately, I don't know html...
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Drag to adjust text box size Please reference the new topic here: Drag to adjust text box size
Photo of CASA for Hunt County

CASA for Hunt County

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
So, is there a way to use varying column widths within a single newsletter?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Are you looking for the type of varying column widths that Amber requests in the original post? If so, that is still not a capability using the drag & drop editor. Yet you can code this, if you’re comfortable with HTML, or have our Design Team code it for you.

If that isn’t the type of varying columns you’re looking for, are you able to share a screenshot of the type of design you’d like?