After editing a contact RETURN goes back to Page 1

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Under Consideration
I am editing a large number of contacts to clean up the names. However whenever I make a change and then Save and then Return, it always takes me back to the first page rather than the page I was working on. 

I would prefer this to remember the page I was on and then return me to THAT page and not to Page 1. I then have to select the page I was working on to continue with the edit.
Photo of The ETHER Initiative

The ETHER Initiative

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • like my time is being wasted

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Laura Dickerson

Laura Dickerson, Official Rep

• 778 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Hi there,

I am adding this request to our feature update queue for you. I also received your other post. I was wondering if the update you are doing could be done through an import, instead of you editing each individual account?

The ETHER Initiative

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Laura,

The names are already in the Emma system, and had been imported over the past few years. I had noticed that some of these (about 20%) have their first names and last names incorrectly recorded such as having their full name in both places and I wanted to fixed this. This has happened through many different people working on this database over the past 3 years and without the right quality control standards being used.

I did consider exporting these, editing them off-line, and then re-importing and replacing them, but I chose to use the on-line editor instead. This is the first time I have used this facility in detail, covering my entire contact list from end to end.

I have found this audience editing inefficient in many ways, with a very slow response, and the problem I noted here of the inability to move back to the page you are on. Another suggestion is to have the pager menu at the top as well as at the bottom. If you are only looking at 5 at a time then this is fine, but then you have the other problem of not being able to jump to a particular page.

I have decided to look at 100 records at a time, which is still not a lot in terms of the data being exchanged, and we commonly provide such systems to our clients with responses of 1-2 seconds to refresh the screen rather than the 10-15 seconds it is taking for each refresh here.

Now I am at page 5 and after this I need to get to edit page 6, but there is a problem since there is no link to page 6 or 7 and the next is to page 8. This means that I will have to first return to page 1, which the system already does, then jump to page 5, and then move forward to page 6, before I can update the first record I need to change, and then repeat this process for each of the 10-15 changes I need to make on that page.

I am going to consider the off-line updating option as an alternative at this time, since this is taking too much time.

Please keep me informed about when this can be fixed.
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey there! I'm stepping in for Laura after chatting about this idea with our Product Team, as we're considering this interaction in the new Audience we're working on. The work isn't mocked up yet, so we aren't too close to it, but it definitely sounds like a pain point we've heard about and experienced ourselves. The new Audience interface won't be paginated and will instead have infinite scrolling, so the functionality is a bit different, and we want to make sure to address this headache. :)

We'll keep you posted as we draw closer to this work's release!

The ETHER Initiative

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Katie,

Thanks for the response. So are you saying that with the infinite scroll, than AFTER editing and saving that I will be taken back to the same place I was in the scrolled page? This is clearly important since otherwise I would have to then scroll down until I get to the same point, which is possibly worse than having to jump to a particular page.

As an alternative, for the editing, why not open this up as a dialog on top of the list? This will then keep the the underlying page position without refreshing.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
That's definitely the hope! Since the new Audience will work differently than the current Audience, with its pagination, we know that we want to address this pain point. That means the editing process will work differently so you don't experience this frustration, but we haven't finalized how it's going to work quite yet.

Again, we don't know yet exactly what the editing process will look like, but we do know we aren't paginating in the future. :)

The ETHER Initiative

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Are you considering AngularJS? This is where our own development is going and I am seeing this as the first glimpse of the next generation of web applications - maximising the in-browser processing and controlling the linkage to the server.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
We're still fairly early in the research and discovery process, so there isn't too much to speak definitively on. But we're keeping all these great ideas in mind!