Are blocked emails considered bounces?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Are emails that are blocked (for spam or for whatever reason) considered hard bounces in Emma? I know some ESPs don't consider mail blocks hard bounces. If they aren't considered bounces, is there a way I can check how many of our recipients are mail blocks?
Photo of Noodle

Noodle

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Hillary Bridges

Hillary Bridges, Employee

• 22 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hello! That's a great question.  Bounces occur when the SMTP transaction between our mail server and your recipient’s mail server fails. Emails that are blocked by the receiving server would be considered a Bounce.

Check out this article that explains this process in more depth!
Photo of Hillary Bridges

• 22 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Official Response
It's also worth noting that for any bounces Emma can determine were due to content or anti-spam ruels, based on the receiving server response, we will treat them as a soft-bounce and not move the contact into an error state.  The thought here is that the content sent in the next email will be different and may not trigger the same rules.
Photo of Noodle

Noodle

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, Hillary. Is there a way to check in the bounced tab to determine the reason an email bounced? I am specifically looking for an easy way to check which of the bounces are spam-related and/or blocked.
(Edited)
Photo of Hillary Bridges

• 22 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You're welcome! We can pull bounce codes for you on our end for a specific mailing. You can email into support@myemma.com with that request!
Photo of Hillary Bridges

• 22 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I can also pull whatever report your client needs and upload it to their document library. Let me know if you would like me to do that!