Audience list imports to Error, email addresses become Null

  • 0
  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: related to resolved bug

Still erroring here

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the Error message when attempting to import a list topic.
Photo of Andy

Andy

  • 21 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

  • 0
  • 1
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

  • 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Andy, will you help me understand what's happening for you? Are you still getting an error that reads "Oops, that wasn't supposed to happen" when attempting to import your contact list?
Photo of Andy

Andy

  • 21 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
No error, just an empty audience list
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

  • 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Andy, in which sub-account are you working? Would you mind adding your spreadsheet to the document library on that account's Campaigns page, and I'll take a closer look?

Also, what's the name of the audience group you imported into?
Photo of Andy

Andy

  • 21 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
The Dealer Toolbox. We are attempting to import into the DTB list. I've added the list to the docs library for you. I've used it as is and as a stripped down CSV. I got it to import once after all the errors, then it was all in error column, then it was moved to active but all with emails as "null". Thanks!
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

  • 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thanks, Andy! This is all really helpful. I grabbed the spreadsheet and focused on the email addresses, since you're seeing them as null. That means that Emma doesn't recognize these are email addresses.

I found that there's an extra space at the end of each email address, and Emma's seeing that as a character that invalidates the email address. Luckily, it's an easy fix. :) Here's what you'll do:

  1. Open the spreadsheet in Excel, and click the A column to highlight the entire column.
  2. Go to Edit, and choose Find.
  3. In the Find What field, enter a space with your spacebar. Click Replace.
  4. In the Replace With field, don't enter anything. Click Replace All.
What you've told Excel to do is to replace all spaces in column A with nothing. That removes those extra 4,455 spaces in one fell swoop.

There's also one address that has another character at the end that looks like a stylized apostrophe. It's in row 5, and you can remove it manually; I searched, and there's only one instance of that.

Save the file, and now when you reimport, Emma will recognize these as real, true email addresses.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Photo of Andy

Andy

  • 21 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Fan. Tastic. You rock! I sent those notes to the client so they can avoid that in the future...
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

  • 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
My pleasure! Now go enjoy your Friday. :)
Photo of Andy

Andy

  • 21 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I will after 5! You do the same.
Photo of Laurie T.

Laurie T.

  • 98 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I am having the same problem. In my case, the extra space was before each email address in my spreadsheet. I removed the extra spaces, then re-imported. Each email address appears in Emma as "null." What to do?
(Edited)
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

  • 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Laurie -- You'll need to delete the addresses from the error tab before reimporting that corrected list. Can you give that a try and let me know how it goes?
Photo of Laurie T.

Laurie T.

  • 98 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Thanks! I did delete them from the error tab, and I reimported. They are now on the active tab -- the names look fine but the email addresses are all "null."
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

  • 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey Laurie -- That is very strange. The email address field for those contacts in your account is empty, which explains the "null" factor. However, if that field was empty in your spreadsheet I would expect Emma to skip that row rather than import the data.

I'll need to see the spreadsheet to diagnose what's causing that. Can you upload your file to the Documents library in your account and let me know when I can download it? Thanks!
Photo of Laurie T.

Laurie T.

  • 98 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
OK -- The file is in the documents library and it's called unsubs_2-3-16. You can see that I imported them to the group named TEMPHOLD-OPT OUTS and the emails came out as null. Thanks.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

  • 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Laurie -- You're all set now. I downloaded your file and found that there were still spaces (or some hidden character) hiding at the end of each email address. I found those by clicking into each cell to see that the cursor wasn't sitting right at the end of the address. After deleting those and reimporting your file (to a group named Emma Test) your addresses came in correctly. 

Feel free to copy those over to the necessary group!
Photo of Laurie T.

Laurie T.

  • 98 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
That's odd -- I was sure I had done that. But thank you very much!