Automate an email when existing customer is added to another segment

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: specific user troubleshooting

Hi Emma! So, here's a scenario for you. I have an extensive email list of customers in Emma. Every once in a while, one of those customers wants to become part of our running club. So, I open that customer's record, scroll through my segments, and tick the box next to "Race Team 2016" to add them to that segment (so I can send them team related updates). Here's what I want to happen: I want my Race Team Welcome email to be automated to go out to them as soon as I add them to that new segment of my overall list. How do we make that happen? FYI, they sign up in our store or on our web store by purchasing an item, so this can't be automated by soliciting sign ups via a form. The only trigger event is me changing their record by ticking the box next to "Race Team 2016." Thank you for your help!
Photo of Ryan Heal

Ryan Heal

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Kyle Gregory | Lipscomb University

Kyle Gregory | Lipscomb University, Champion

• 99 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
Hey @Ryan Heal,

OK, I think this one is easy, but I need to clarify. When you say Segment, are you actually meaning Group? As in, you can't directly add someone to a segment, but you can add someone to a Group. If that's the case, here's what you do. Automation is your tool!

So to break your need down: When anyone in your audience is added to the "Race Team 2016" group, then send them the "Race Team Welcome" email immediately. That's our goal. Let's do this!

Start by heading over to Automation. -> Create a new Workflow. Name it. For part 1: "When These People" choose the first option "Any contact in my Audience." Then for "Take this action" let's choose "All". Notice that "All" allows us to trigger an action even if we are manually adding someone to a group (which is what you're doing). Then for "...Send This" choose your welcome email and choose "Immediately." Active and save it!

You might want to run a test on yourself or a friend to make sure it works the way you want it to.

Hope that helps,
Kyle
Photo of Ryan Heal

Ryan Heal

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, I meant Group. Sorry about that. Your instructions don't work for me, though, as I interpret them. "All" is not an option for me when I click on "Take this action." I have to choose between "Email Sign-Up," "Date-based," "Field Change," "Link click on a specific mailing," or "Link click on any mailing." If you meant to say that I should choose "Email Sign-Up" and then "All," then I foresee a problem. I have two active forms out there in the world that are collecting email addresses for our general audience. I don't want those people to get this automated workflow, only the people who I add to the group "Race Team 2016." Maybe I misunderstood your instructions, however. 
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey Ryan -- I'm not able to locate your account by your email address. Can you point me to the account you're working in? Thanks!
Photo of Ryan Heal

Ryan Heal

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Emily. Our account is Portland Running Company. The email on the account is info@portlandrunningcompany.com. I must have logged in using facebook.
Photo of Kyle Gregory | Lipscomb University

Kyle Gregory | Lipscomb University, Champion

• 99 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
Hey @Ryan Heal,

Sorry I needed to take a moment and retrace my steps. So I tried out your workflow as I understood it and I don't think that's going to be possible with just using the "Add" feature in audience. I don't think Emma can track just adding a member to an additional group. I was reading this resource page.

What you may want to do to accomplish this is create a field on your audience record and then build an automation workflow against that. Or you may be able to create a signup form that is used for your team to add folks to that specific group (see the notes in the last bullet point as well as the chart on the page above).

Sorry, I thought initially we had a good way to get this done, but at least I don't see a direct way to do it via just editing a member and adding them to a group.

Hope that helps,
Kyle

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Kyle, I think we were replying at the same time. I wanted to echo your suggestion to create a signup form for employees to use. That's a great idea! Using that specific form in the workflow (rather than the all option) would allow signups from contacts already in the audience to trigger the workflow - which would address Ryan's scenario here. Well done. :)

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Ryan -- Let's back up a step here. While the "all" option on the signup trigger will capture any new contacts that you've manually added to the audience (in the group indicated in the automated workflow) it will not capture any existing contacts. So, if you're adding an existing contact to the group (by opening their contact record and checking the box next to that group) this will not trigger the workflow that Kyle has outlined above. You can trigger a signup workflow for existing contacts if you specify a signup form (rather than using that all option), but it doesn't sound like that meets your needs here either. There isn't a signup trigger that will capture existing contacts added manually to a new group -- that action falls right in between the options available here.

What you can do is set this up as a field change trigger (as Kyle mentioned above) with a new mulit-option field that you can populate in the contact records. So, in addition to adding them to that group (so they'll receive all future updates sent to that group) you'll also populate that field to trigger your workflow. The multi-option fields allow you to setup a field change trigger using "is empty" as the "from" option, while text/numeric fields don't. You can read more about that here!

As long as you are ​individually making these updates to the contact records, a field change trigger should make this possible. It won’t work on updates that are made via imports, though.
(Edited)