Automation not triggering for existing users

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
We just went live with an Automation workflow, and it is not triggering for everyone as it should.

An email is set to be triggered when anyone signs up using the specified form. In this case, triggered through the API via the Signup ID.

However, the trigger is not happening for anyone who's already signed up. In the workflow, I set it to be triggered by any contact in our audience. So why isn't it firing? We're live with this thing and it's not working at all how it should.

Please help!
Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
  • anxious

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
From the API documentation. We're using POST /#account_id/members/add in addition to the group_id and:
  • signup_form_id (integer) – Optional. Indicate that this member used a particular signup form. This is important if you have custom mailings for a particular signup form and so that signup-based triggers will be fired.
(Edited)
Photo of Frederick Oliver

Frederick Oliver

• 14 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hi Matt,

I think the issue may be that the trigger for the automation is looking for new sign-ups. What I do is set the automation to trigger on a change to a contact field. This could be any value you submit in a custom field to indicate a sign-up from a particular form. This way previously signed-up contacts will trigger and receive your email confirmation.

Hope this helps,

Fred
Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Thanks Fred, that's a helpful workaround.

That behavior confuses me though, since they're all new to this group. The way the Automation setup is worded makes it sound as if this will be triggered, regardless of current Group or Segment membership.

And how is this a sustainable solution? Add a new profile field every time we need to trigger emails for a specific campaign/promo? Hoping someone from Emma chimes in here on how this product is supposed to work.
(Edited)
Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
So the field trigger isn't working either. It's not triggering an email, period.
Photo of Paul Zimmerman-Clayton

Paul Zimmerman-Clayton, Official Rep

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hey Matt, I noticed that you mentioned you're using the add call with a signup_form_id, but the signup_form_id is a parameter for the POST /#account_id/members/signup call. If you're using an add call, change it to a signup call, and that should clear things up. 

The product is designed so that there are two API calls that can trigger signup automation, the add call, and the signup call. There are a few differences between the two:

If you're using the Add call, you can trigger automation in a signup trigger event, but only if the source is set to All. Additionally, the Add call won't allow you to signup a second time; current members can't trigger a new automation workflow by signing up. 

If you're using the Signup call, you'll need to include the optional signup_form_id that corresponds with a classic signup form, and you'll need to select that classic signup form as a source. This method allows users to sign up a second time and trigger the automation, even if they are already in the audience. 

As far as the field change trigger goes, that trigger will only work if the member is already in your audience, and a field value changes from something to something else. It won't work if the member is added, unless they are added, then the value changes. 

Hopefully this clears things up! If not, please give us any information on your API calls as you can, and we'll check to see if there's anything fishy on our end. I'll keep a close eye on this conversation, since you're live and need to get this pinned down. Let me know what happens!
(Edited)
Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Thanks Paul. We were using the signup call, but it triggers a confirmation email in addition to the automated email, even if the confirmation is unchecked in the form config.

If that's our only option, then we'll have to work with that.

To confirm, we go back to the Signup call, then set the Automation Audience to any, and the Trigger Event/Source to the specific form we're calling?
Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
OK, and why can't I at least edit the confirmation email that's triggered??? No matter how I configure it in the form, it still comes through with default text. This is insane.

I have this entered:

Thanks for signing up!
To ensure proper delivery of your Early Access Pass, please take a moment
to add [rsvp_email] to your address book, trusted sender list, or company whitelist.

If you do not wish to receive any future emails from us, or this email has reached you
in error, please use this link to remove yourself from our list:
[opt_out]

Thanks!

But what I receive is:

Thanks for joining the [name] email list!

To confirm your subscription, please click this link or paste
it into your browser:

[link]

To ensure proper delivery of our future emails, take a moment now
and add our email address - [email] - to your address book,
trusted sender list, or company white list.

If you do not wish to receive our emails, or this email has
reached you in error, please click or copy and paste this link
in your browser window to remove yourself from our list:
[link]

Thanks, and welcome!
(Edited)

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hey Matt, I can confirm that you'll use: 

Api: Signup call with signup_form_id (and group_ids)
Audience: Any
Trigger event source: specific form called from API

I'm checking in on the confirmation email, I'll let you know as soon as I find out. 

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
It looks like you can suppress that plaintext confirmation email. You'll use the following: 

• opt_in_confirmation (boolean) – Optional. Sends the default plaintext confirmation email when set to true. NOTE: Confirmation email will be sent by default if this parameter is left out.
If you set that to false, you should be able to suppress the plaintext confirmation email. Let me know if that works!
(Edited)
Photo of Frederick Oliver

Frederick Oliver

• 14 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hi Paul,

Your signup_form_id (and group_ids) solution is clearly the smarter approach. I'll have to give this a try.

Thanks!

Fred
Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Paul, thank you, that seemed to do it.

For what it's worth, when I had the confirmation email issue in the past, the response from support was completely different: https://community.myemma.com/emma/topics/confirmation_email_wont_stop -- This is what led us to using the Members Add call.

Everything you have responded to in this thread regarding the limitations and specifics of these calls is helpful, but it's not all in the API documentation. It REALLY needs to be.

We've been scrambling to correct these issues since yesterday afternoon. If it had simply been detailed in the documentation we probably wouldn't have even had this issue to begin with, or could have at least fixed it much sooner.

Thank you again for your help and I hope the support team will consider adding more info to the API docs!
(Edited)

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hey Matt, I'm glad that got fixed!

You're absolutely right about our documentation, and it's clear from this thread that we could add that information to our api documentation and save users some headache in the future. We'll be updating that old, out of date thread, and making it clear that the opt in confirmation can be suppressed. 

We'll also clearly outline the details of the different calls, their specific uses as they relate to automation, and whether or not they allow users to sign up a second time. 

I'm sorry about the scramble and confusion, and I really appreciate the feedback. If there were any other points of confusion, please let me know so we can revisit our resources and see how we can clean things up.

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey all, in case you've been following along or have questions about the specifics of the different API calls and how they interact with signup triggers, we've updated our resource center page here with a handy chart that shows the specifics of the two calls, and the differences between them. Hope that helps! As always, feel free to ask any questions!
Photo of ADS Security

ADS Security

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Wow... Please add the trigger explanation linked above to the API page where it belongs! We've fought with this exact issue for several days now and the API documentation is, quite honestly, confusing and incomplete. This is documentation that we needed from the beginning working with the API, and it is buried down here in posts and comments.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi ADS Security -- Thank you for the feedback here. We will definitely work to make this information more readily available for you in the API documentation.