Black List Problem

  • 0
  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Hello, I had 149 soft bounce responses, after scheduling a campaign yesterday. All were employees of our company, IT found that the domain is on a blacklist. Fixed it on our end to accept the emails. Just wanted to share that it was out there if you want to correct it. It was the first time it had ever happened. Happy Emailing going forward!
Photo of Parkview Medical Center Spirit of Women

Posted 3 years ago

  • 0
  • 1
Photo of Art Quanstrom

Art Quanstrom, Deliverability and Compliance Lead

  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for the heads up! I just wanted to chime in and let you know that we're regularly checking for blacklists of any kind, both for our sending domain ( and the IPs associated with that domain. We're aware of two blacklist issues with, SEM URI/URIRED and No Solicitado, and have contacted both operators multiple times without response. We do our best, through customer education, monitoring, and adherence to clear anti-spam policies, to keep clear of these blacklists, but we do rely on two way conversation between us and the operator to resolve the listing and take action to improve our network's health. We're just not getting that in these two cases.

I see that the two blacklists have affected only a few thousand messages in total since June 1. This is out of the Millions (MILLIONS, even!) of emails we've sent for customers in that time and is a fraction of a fraction of a percent. I don't say that to minimize your negative experience, but it's good contextual information for the blacklists we're dealing with here. These are pretty minor issues overall, but we will continue to look for cooperation and a resolution. 
Photo of Gordon Food Service

Gordon Food Service

  • 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
My IT guy just sent me this when I asked him why my test emails were going to Spam. He said Google blacklisted you. Is there a way around this?

Photo of Art Quanstrom

Art Quanstrom

  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi there!

The above screenshot doesn't indicated that Google has blacklisted Emma's servers, but rather that SpamEatingMonkey has included our domain on their blacklist. My explanation (above) is still relevant and the most diplomatic way I can address our inclusion on that particular blacklist (SEM URI/SEM URIRED).
Message filtering in Google relies on user interaction with similar messages (from the same sender, or with similar content), so when you're testing messages to a gmail address or Google-hosted domain, make sure you're interacting with that message -- opening, clicking, archiving -- in a way that resembles a real recipient. If the messages are already going to spam, try dragging them over to your inbox. Google will see that as user feedback and should change how they treat future test messages. Adding your "from" address to your Google contacts can also help.

While you're at it, double check your campaign to make sure that your subject line and content align with best practices. Check out these resources for more best practice info:

10 steps to a great subject line
5 tips for reaching the inbox

I'm confident that the above steps will help you test your campaigns effectively!