Images are blurry on retina displays and standard displays.

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I usually use png images and they always end up blurry when they're sent. They look fine in the editor and the preview but are blurry in the actual email. I've tried different image sizes, sharpening the image, etc. Nothing works. How can I ensure that my emails have clear, sharp images?
Photo of Doyle & Doyle

Doyle & Doyle

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Benton Cummings

Benton Cummings, Senior Manager, Customer Support

• 491 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Hi there,
Are you able to provide some screenshots of a comparison between what you're seeing in the Editor vs. what shows up in your inbox? Please also let me know what email client you're receiving and opening your emails on.

I'd also love to do some testing in your account- please let me know the name of a mailing that recently displayed that issue for you so we can jump in and take a look. That should help us get a good grasp of what might be at play.

Thanks so much!
Photo of Doyle & Doyle

Doyle & Doyle

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the response. I'm currently working on this campaign: bbernstein book launch oct15 and I'm using gmail on chrome to see my emails.

Screenshots are below, L is in the editor, R is from my test email.

Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 123 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I have the same issue with jpgs. They look great until the final email, then they are fuzzy.
Photo of Doyle & Doyle

Doyle & Doyle

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm guessing it has something to do with how Emma compresses the images for mailing. Benton, can you tell us how to keep our images sharp, even with compression? 
Photo of Benton Cummings

• 491 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Hi again,

I've done some testing with the mailing, and I'm seeing the same thing as you in my inboxes. I'm going to loop in some colleagues here to find out a bit more about how images are handled at send off, and I'll let you know any details I can get.

Thanks!
Photo of Benton Cummings

• 491 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Hi all,

I wanted to check back in and let you know that, after some testing, we found that replacing the png file with a jpg actually improved the resolution. 

We're still doing research on our end, but I did want to pass along that bit of info that may be helpful if you run into this again- definitely try saving as jpeg images and let me know if you notice any improvement on your end.

Thanks!
Photo of Doyle & Doyle

Doyle & Doyle

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for looking. I tried using jpgs as you suggest. There's still blurriness and now the colors are also off. 

Screencaps below (sorry of they're huge): jpg then png to compare. You can also see there's weird compression going on with the jpg.

Photo of Benton Cummings

• 491 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Thanks for the feedback on this- we're looking into this, and I'll follow up with any details I can get for you.
Photo of Event Leadership Institute

Event Leadership Institute

• 13 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I also have tried both png and jpg files and it still is blurry.  Here is a sample of what I see in the editor:

And here is a sample of what comes out in email format via test:

Photo of Benton Cummings

• 491 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
I'd like to get one of the jpeg images from you- prior to even uploading to Emma- so we can do some further testing on this. Would one of you be willing to email an image that you've seen the issue with to support@myemma.com with the subject line "Attn: Benton"?

Thanks!

• 13 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
thanks for the quick response. I just emailed over a copy of one of the jpeg's

• 13 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Also, I would be happy to use the button function that you provide, but you can only stack them and not place two side by side... 
Hi I am also having this issue with the Jpg being blurry.  Can you loop me in if you get a final answer on how to save/upload them to make them crisp?  Thanks
Photo of Indiana Association of REALTORS

Indiana Association of REALTORS

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Any update on this? I too am having this issue with blurry sent images and would like to know how to get our images, whether png or jpg as clear as it shows in the editor. I'm in trial mode, so I'd like to get this resolved while I am still able. Thank you!
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi friends -- Sorry for the delay here. Benton is out of the office today, but I'm happy to help. Are you by chance working on a retina display? This would explain the discrepancy between image resolution you're seeing in the editor and your inbox. 

I checked in with our product team to learn a bit more about how our editor handles images and how that relates to retina displays. Let's call the image you upload to your library File A. When working in the editor, you're seeing File A (which is a maximum of 1280 x 640). When you send your mailing, we make a copy of that image to size it to your mailing. We'll call this copy File B. Retina displays essentially stretch your image across twice as many pixels. You're seeing this stretching in the inbox and not in the editor because the editor displays that original, larger File A, and the inbox displays File B. 

We hope to support retina displays in the future, and I'll be sure to communicate any updates I have on that topic here!
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 123 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
No retina display here. Just a plain old desktop monitor and PhotoShop CS5.
Photo of Spark Freedom

Spark Freedom

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Having the same problems as the above. Both jpeg and png are blurry (through jpeg is better, it's still off).
Photo of Benton Cummings

• 491 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Hi again,

I'd like to know, when comparing the jpeg and png images in your email clients- are there any differences in the file sizes of the png vs. jpeg you're using for comparison? 

We still haven't pinned down anything regarding png vs jpeg, as they aren't handled differently by our editor, so we'd like to get a bit more data behind that.

Cynthia and Spark Freedom, please let me know the mailing names where you've encountered the issue, and if you're noticing that the image is blurry only in certain environments. 

Thanks so much!
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 123 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Hi Benton. I noticed that as of late, regular images are clear. However, images that I create and manipulate in PhotoShop look fuzzy regardless if they are jpeg or png. Check out two previous campaigns: Orlando updates (sent Dec. 3, 2015) and June Orlando Seminars (sent Apr. 6, 2015). The image in the former is a jpeg at 16KB and in the latter is a png at 98.7KB. I view them in MS Outlook.
Photo of PCC

PCC

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Benton, Any further progress with Retina images?  We recently moved to Emma and as an organization that values design, it is a big bummer that our images are blurry on retina displays.  Any ETA on help with this?

We have found in our previous software, we just export an image at 2x the size we need it (so if it will display at 400x400 px we export at 800x800 px and don't resize it, and it looks great.  However emma it does not seem will allow us to specify the exact file and the exact display dimensions without resizing it.  Please help!!
Photo of PCC

PCC

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Benton, Any further progress with Retina images?  We recently moved to Emma and as an organization that values design, it is a big bummer that our images are blurry on retina displays.  Any ETA on help with this?

We have found in our previous software, we just export an image at 2x the size we need it (so if it will display at 400x400 px we export at 800x800 px and don't resize it, and it looks great.  However emma it does not seem will allow us to specify the exact file and the exact display dimensions without resizing it.  Please help!!
Photo of Benton Cummings

• 491 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Hi PCC,

I don't have any sort of ETA or specific details for work being done in that area- but I'll certainly pass your suggestions over to our product staff to let them know you'd like to see some additional flexibility around image sizing in the editor. Just so I can pass along some specifics around the comment, can you let me know exactly how you'd like to see image editing work within Emma?
Photo of PCC

PCC

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The main thing to make this work is that images are embedded at half their size.  so, if an image file is 800x800px, it should be embedded at 400x400px.  This way, when the retina displays show "double the resolution" there is enough resolution there to make the image clear.  Otherwise, this shows up blurry on retina displays.  This works fine on non-retina displays as well, because they simply load a slightly larger file than required and there is no difference to the user.
Photo of Benton Cummings

• 491 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Thanks PCC - I'll definitely pass those comments along to our product staff. Very helpful!
Photo of Doyle & Doyle

Doyle & Doyle

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Several months later and we're still having the same issue with blurriness on regular displays, not just retina. I've tried using larger images at a higher resolution, but they're not sharp. It's very frustrating and I feel it makes our emails look unprofessional. Please advise.
Thank you.
Photo of Doyle & Doyle

Doyle & Doyle

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Here are samples from our current campaign:

from the editor

from the test email
Photo of Cale Mooth

Cale Mooth, Product Owner

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Hi everyone!
I wanted to let you know we've been working on a retina/high-density display feature and have just enabled your accounts with this new capability. Our test group has had good success and we'll be turning this on for all accounts very soon.

In the meantime, send a few test emails and see what kind of results you get. I'd love to hear any feedback. 

Here's a quick overview of how the feature works:

To take advantage of Emma’s high-density display support, you’ll need to ensure that your images are uploaded at 1280 pixels wide or larger. This is double the size of the largest photo you would need for a mailing, since a photo stretching the full width of a template would be a maximum of 640 pixels. At the time of send,  we’ll do the math for you, downsizing your photo to no less than double the size of the image placeholder you’ve designated. Retina displays take advantage of the extra pixels and display a sharper image as a result, ensuring that all your images will look sharp on high-density displays.

If you’re not able to upload high-res images, that’s okay. Your email will still render fine on all clients, but images may look somewhat “blurry” on high-density displays.

If you're testing with an existing mailing, you may need to upload larger images as explained above. 

Looking forward to hearing your results. 

Thanks!
Cale
Photo of Doyle & Doyle

Doyle & Doyle

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Dear Cale,

Thank you for this update and for addressing this issue for retina displays. What about for traditional monitors? 
Photo of Cale Mooth

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Yes, I'm very curious about the screenshots you're posting. Here's a screenshot I took on my non-retina monitor using the banner example you posted above. This shows the Editor and the Gmail inbox side by side, but I'm not seeing the same compression. Banner and button text is crisp and you can see the detail in the pink fabric in the image below.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/f.cl.ly/items/0s0U31450x273J2x411L/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-25%20at%209.03.5...

Do you think you can post a similar screenshot showing the Editor and your inbox side by side? We're both seeing such drastically dissimilar results, I'd really like to find out what's different between our two experiences. I think a screenshot showing more context would be helpful. 

Thanks,
Cale
Photo of Children's Corner Store

Children's Corner Store

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
We are having the same issue with regular displays. The only work around we have found is to host our images on an external site and link them using html in our template - which is a big pain since we are not computer programmers. Please let us know when we can expect to have this issue resolved. I concur with the others that we went with Emma because of its focus on design, yet our emails look unprofessional because we have blurry pictures. 
Photo of Cale Mooth

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thanks for replying. Can you give me the title of one of the mailings where you're experiencing the blurry images? I'd like to take a look and see if we can't get to the root of the issue. 

Children's Corner Store

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
You can see it in: Cyber Monday fabric sale
Photo of Cale Mooth

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thank you! Taking a look. 
Photo of Cale Mooth

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thanks for the added details. Moving forward, especially in the case of the image you're referencing in the sale mailing, building your images at 1280 pixels wide should alleviate the blurriness in the inbox.

I'd encourage you to test that out and see if things improve. I've posted more detail around the issue at the bottom of this thread if you're interested in reading more about it. 

Children's Corner Store

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
we will try this out! Thank you for looking into. 

Children's Corner Store

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
The resizing worked. I went back and tried the same graphics with the new dimensions and they were not blurry. We use canva to develop our graphics. Thank you for the fix, but it would be great to not have to create a custom dimension. Thank you for being so responsive! 
Photo of Cale Mooth

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Absolutely. I agree. We'll look into our side of things and see what we can do to alleviate the need for the workaround. 

Glad to hear the 1280 workaround is fixing things for now. 
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 123 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Some of my images are good and some are blurry - and it so happens to be our logo that is blurry. Not good. It looks fine when I'm designing in Emma, but is blurry in Outlook. Check out any of my recent emails.
Photo of Cale Mooth

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thanks, Cynthia! I'm taking a look this morning. 
Photo of Cale Mooth

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Hi Cynthia! In the case of your logo, if you have the ability to reupload that logo at a larger pixel width, (1280 pixels wide is ideal) that should take care of the blurriness. 

You can take a look at my reply to this thread overall for a more detailed description of what's going on.
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 123 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thanks, Cale. I've reuploaded our logo at the 1280 px width and am testing to see what it does.
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 123 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
It seems to be working well now. Thanks for being a super sleuth and getting to the bottom of this!
Photo of Cale Mooth

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Glad to hear it, Cynthia!
Photo of Cale Mooth

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey everyone!
The recent comments have been very helpful and we've been able to consistently reproduce fuzzy images in certain situations. (Thank you for being very specific about which mailings and images have been affected!)

Without getting into a lot of technical detail at this point, here's the solution I'd like to see you try: Going forward, and this is especially true with large images that contain text, build your images so they are 1280 pixels wide or larger when uploaded to Emma. 

This should ensure that images are crisp on both retina and non retina displays. The fuzziness comes into play when uploaded images aren't quite big enough to qualify for retina screens and that's currently causing our system to output the issue you're seeing. 

I'll take this back to our team and see what the solution might be on our end. In the meantime, the 1280 rule mentioned above should take care of fuzziness should you see it arise. It consistently clears up the issue in our testing.

Thanks for being patient while we've searched for the root cause. I greatly appreciate it. 

Photo of On Paper

On Paper

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
We had a similar problem with our email images. We design our emails in house (with words and text) and import it as a large image.  We've been using a template of 625 x 800 but when we increased it to 1280 x 1638 that really helped.  Is there a place on the resources page where you can make this retina information available? I had trouble finding it and I'm sure others will too. Thank you!
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there!  Thanks for mentioning that.  We do have it listed in this article in the Resource Center, but it's just a small section of a larger article.  I'll pass this along to the Resource Center team to see if we can't create a more comprehensive article.  

Cheers!
Photo of Dennis Manugal

Dennis Manugal

• 33 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I definitely have this same issue.  Why is this not an official bug? Seems like a big issue especially for those who may have an audience who is older or may not have the latest computer or phone with retina display.  Instead these customers are getting a blurry experience and are being penalized for a technology they dont have.

On our side as the content creator, i understand that you are asking us to provide a larger image but it feels like a its being forced upon us when it doesn't have too.  For example if i have one ad that that we use for multiple websites and im happy with, i now have to recreate the ad for specifically MyEmma because they are forcing a resolution that the ad doesnt support on displays that dont support the high resolutions to begin with. Seems a little unfair.

Im just trying to understand or justify going back to each client that provided a correct size image and now saying to them we need a larger resolution image because our vendor (MyEmma) has an issue displaying on non retina displays.

Is there an update on this issue?
(Edited)