Broken words in my newsletter headlines -- AARGH

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Didn't hear back from community member

Attached is an image of today's newsletter headline that looks fine in my view but looks very embarrassing in another recipients' view, with the last letter of a word orphaned to the next line. Both screenshots were taken from actually sent/received emails, too, so it's very likely that many others see this headline the "bad" way. Is there something I'm doing to cause this? If so, it isn't at all apparent in my previews and test emails. And if not, this is really unacceptable; I have to be able to have confidence that my newsletter isn't going to embarrass me and my organization with things like this. Thank you.

Photo of AGC of Washington

AGC of Washington

• 91 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- Thanks for including that screenshot!

I'm not able to replicate that broken word or adjusted line spacing in my testing on multiple email clients (Outlook, Gmail, Apple Mail, etc.). It looks to me like the entire template is enlarged. This is something we see when the email client is zoomed in, and if that's the case, it's not something that we can control because it's email client and even user specific.

Do you happen to know if the user who took that screenshot is using Outook and if they're inbox zoom is set to anything other than 100%? That will help me to dig in further here! 

I can tell you that this isn't something across the board your contacts are seeing, because I can't replicate it in any of those email clients.

AGC of Washington

• 91 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thanks, Emily -- I just watched him use the little slider setting at the bottom R corner of the Outlook window and the headline didn't change at all, regardless of where he positioned the slider -- if that's the setting you're talking about...
- Sean

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Sean -- Yes, that's the correct setting. Can you have him click the "view this email online" from within his inbox to see if that heading changes when viewed in a browser? That will help to narrow down if it is something in just his inbox. Thanks!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Just checking in here -- let me know what you found in the online view!

AGC of Washington

• 91 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thanks for following-up, Emily, but he's in and out of the office irregularly and I
'm not sure when I'll get a chance to check-in with him again on this.. I'll try though!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
No worries! If you can't reach him, just keep an eye out for this and let us know if it happens again!