Bug in editing automated workflows whose first email has time delay

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

If you try to create an Automated email to go out 7 days after a customers signs up for your email list, the Automation reverts to send "Immediately".  There is no way at this time to build an Automation that will send an email x number of days or hours in the future.

This is really frustrating, given the Trigger disaster that Emma gave us a year ago.

I launched a new product last year (two years in the making) and I'm giving away an iPad every week to entice people into using the Free Trial.  How do these people enter the Free Trial giveaway?  By getting my weekly emails... that I can't schedule due to a bug in Emma's application.

I NEED AN ANSWER AS TO WHEN THIS WILL BE FIXED AND I NEED IT TODAY, PLEASE.

Thanks,
Cliff
Photo of Cliff Batson

Cliff Batson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • very frustrated.

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Cody De Vos

Cody De Vos, Official Rep

• 106 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Hi Cliff, 

This is Cody with Emma's Product team. I'm looking into your issue, but I want to make sure I'm looking at the right workflow. Is this the workflow "PC Free Trial Week 1" in the account "Free Trial?" And are you attempting to change the timing of the email currently in the workflow ("PC Free Trial Week 1") or to add the second email to the workflow ("PC Free Trial Week 2")? If you can confirm what you're attempting to do, I'll try to make those changes myself and see if my results are the same as yours.

Cheers,
Cody
(Edited)
Photo of Cliff Batson

Cliff Batson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
When someone enters Week 2 of the Free Trial, I need to send them the PC Free Trial Week 2 email. This should go out 7 days after they sign up.  When I create that workflow, upon saving, the screen shows that it will be sent immediately.

You should be able to replicate this with your own account.  If you try to modify my Week 2 automation and it starts sending my Week 2 email to people who join Week 1, that will be a bad thing.
Photo of Cody De Vos

• 106 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Cliff, 

I'm very sorry for the confusion here. This workflow is actually scheduled to send "1 week after signup," and the Response view displays the correct time offset (see attached). However, there appears to be a bug in the "Edit" view display for active workflows whose first email contains a time delay. I'll work to get this resolved quickly with our developers and follow up when that work is done. Meanwhile, the *Response* view of your workflow will display accurate delay times once activated.

One other thing: the new workflow builder enables you to build entire email series within one workflow. Is this email intended to reach all users who signed up and received the "Week 1" email immediately? If so, you may find it easier to manage a single workflow with 2 emails in the sequence than to manage separate workflows for each email in the sequence (and the delay time display bug doesn't appear to affect additional emails added to a series after the first one). You may have had other reasons to build these workflows separately, but I wanted to be sure you knew that was an option.

Photo of Cliff Batson

Cliff Batson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, Cody.  Just to verify that I understand... you're saying that behind-the-scenes the mailing is set up correctly and that I can trust it... and that it's just a UI issue after the worflow is save AND when you go to edit it?

Cliff
Photo of Cody De Vos

• 106 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
That's correct, Cliff - this workflow has the correct time delay in our system, but that delay isn't being displayed properly in the "Edit" section after it's saved into place.
Photo of Cliff Batson

Cliff Batson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
More grateful than you know...

thanks!
Cliff
Photo of Cliff Batson

Cliff Batson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Cody - or other Emma Emplyee,

I enabled my PC Free Trial Week 2 automation yesterday after you confirmed that it was set up to send emails to those who subscribed 7 days ago... but no emails have been sent.  Can you tell me why?

We're having a weekly drawing for an iPad and those who signed up a week ago didn't receive the email to register for this week's drawing.

Please help...
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Cliff -- Your sign-up based workflow will only catch *new signups* who arrive after the workflow is activated. It's not retroactive, so it has no way of pulling contacts into the workflow that signed up before it was activated.

The best way to reach any contacts that signed up before this workflow was activated would be to build segments by signup 
date. You could also export your audience, batch the list by signup date, then re-add them into their own Audience groups for re-targeting).

You can then send your email to those segments at the proper time. I know this sounds a little bit tedious, but you should only have to do this a few times to get back on track now that your automated workflow is activated.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Cliff -- I'm reaching out here to let you know that the bug causing your workflow delay to display incorrectly is fixed! You should no longer see that issue in your account. Let me know if you have any questions!