Campaign URL syntax breaking link

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

We sent out an email today with a link to our rewards program. The link is a 301 redirect. However, once the Emma campaign syntax was added, the URL no longer works. Unfortunately, now we're going to have to send an apology email with an updated link. However, I don't want to do that until I'm sure a link will work properly. Here's the link in question:

http://www.firehousesubs.com/rewards?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Sign...

Why is this link not working and how do we fix it?
Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Well, I fixed it somewhat but using a different redirect code to include a wildcard for the syntax.
<rule name="Rewards Redirect" enabled="true" stopProcessing="true">
   <match url="^Rewards?$" />
   <conditions logicalGrouping="MatchAll" trackAllCaptures="false" />
   <action type="Redirect" url="new URL" />
</rule>
Still need to send an "oops" email and figure out why this happened in the first place...
(Edited)
Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Hey Matt! So I jumped in making a copy of that original mailing while sending myself the mailing via review & send and the link(s) definitely worked here. I have conversed with a few of my colleagues and I have to be honest I'm not familiar with a 301 redirect. The code you mentioned in the second post, can you please provide some details of the process you're going through? I'm hoping this will help shed some light, so we can better assist!

Thanks!
Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply Tyler. After some further digging, this might have been just an issue with our redirect code that wasn't redirecting properly when URL parameters are added (like the Emma campaign tracking syntax).

The code above was what I added (we're on a .NET server) to our website config to make the redirect work.
(Edited)
Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Ah, got it! Thanks for the explanation and I'm glad to hear you were able to get things worked out. 

Happy Friday!