Can I save the recipients of a mailing as a group?

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not a Problem
  • (Edited)
I sent a mailing to a segment of people who signed up for our emails in 2010 and have not opted in.  I excluded known clients from 2014, 15 and 16. (We have them identified in groups so I excluded certain groups from the segment)

Can I save this recipient list as a group,  So I can move anyone in the group who doesn't opt-in to opt-out status?

Or tell me if there is a better way to clean out old contacts?
Photo of Edge of the Woods

Edge of the Woods

• 40 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 3 years ago

Edge of the Woods

• 40 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
..now my dilemma has gotten even more complicated.

I sent out the mailing to a segment of people who signed up six years ago, and excluded  certain groups that I know to be active clients.  

The email asked recipients to opt-in so I'd know they wanted to continue getting emails.

My goal was to opt-out anyone who didn't opt-in

I am seeing some people managing their preferences, but not opting in.  So I know they want to continue getting emails.

how can I take the results of this mailing and usefully opt-out old contacts who don't want to hear from us?

Edge of the Woods

• 40 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
sooo, i  see I am getting no answers... is it because I accidentally categorized this as a 'problem' and not a 'question'?  How can I go back and make it clear it is a 'question'?  How often do emma reps take a look at this??
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey there, 

Sorry it's taken us a bit to get back to you.  One of my teammates was checking out your questions yesterday, but I'll go ahead and jump in for him.  

A. Yes, you can.  If you open the response data for that mailing and click on the "Received" number, it will bring up a list of all of the people that received your mailing.  At the top of that list is a button that says "Save this tab as a segment".  Clicking that will create a Segment of everyone who received that mailing. From that segment, you can copy those contacts into a Group if you're wanting them in Group form or if you're looking to segment FROM that group.  

B. What Ross was working on yesterday and just hadn't gotten typed out to you yet was a Segment that he called "Test".  We pulled the segment based on people who received your "send to 2010 people who did not opt in" mailing who also have "Managed their preferences in the last week".  This is what that looks like:

I think that's going to be the best way to find what you're looking for.  

After that, if you're looking to clean out anyone who did not Manage their preferences from that particular group, these are the steps I would take:

1. Open the group that you sent to (or the segment of everyone who received the mailing)
2. Move all of those contacts to Error status
3. Open up the segment of people who DID manage their preferences (which will now be in Error Status)
4. Move those contacts to Active status
5. Open the original group of folks sent to and delete all of the Error contacts, leaving the Active contacts, being the ones from the segment. 

Let me know if you have any questions around this.  

Cheers!

- G

Edge of the Woods

• 40 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
thank you so much.  I managed to do this, but in a clunkier way.  I did not find the 'save this tab as a segment, but i found if I downloaded the response I got a spread sheet of recipients, and I re-uploaded them and added them to a group.

Then I intuited that if I could take that group and segment out people who have managed their preferences, I would be on my way.

But If I could not find the right way to make the segment you are describing as the final step.  If I make a segment, based on audience group, I select contacts that are in the group i have called 'received the mailing' (or something like that).

How do I then add the selecftion of people who have managed their preferences in the segment builder?  

I ended up searching for people who managed their preferences in the last seven days and assigned them to a group called 'managed pereferneces between 6/15 and 6/22'.  and was going to exclude this smaller group from the larger group in my segment.  But will need to re-run that search and make a new group for people who managed their preferences between 6/17 and 6/24.

So if you can tell me exactly what I need to choose in the segment builder to get to the result you ahve pictured above, that would be VERY helpful.

thanks so much

Edge of the Woods

• 40 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I can't find where to do this "If you open the response data for that mailing and click on the "Received" number, it will bring up a list of all of the people that received your mailing.  At the top of that list is a button that says "Save this tab as a segment"."

in the response screen i see text that says "Sent to 626 recipients on Jun 20, 2016 11:26 pm" but it is not clickable

I have stared at the screen for a while and it is eluding me.

the opt out, open and click tabs all have an easily spotted 'save this tab as a segment' I am not seeing it on the overview tab, or anywhere where it is listing the received number
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Ah, I used the wrong word.  You want to click on "Delivered" .  It would help if I said the right thing.

1. Go ahead and create the segment of folks that you sent to, using the method i described above in A.  Then copy all of those contacts to a new GROUP.

2. At that point, you'll have the 2 pieces you need, a group that you sent to and a group that managed their preferences.  

3. Now create a segment that first finds people IN the "Delivered" group, AND NOT IN the "Managed Preferences" group. 

That will give you the segment that you want to Delete.  

Edge of the Woods

• 40 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
thank you very much!

Edge of the Woods

• 40 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I have found that people have opted in from the mailing, but their opt-in did not show up as a click in anyway.

also, people who have managed their preferences does not seem to include people who have opted in.

I learned this by poring one by one through the records of individuals.

Is that the way it is supposed to be?  Opting in does not count as managing preferences?

I had to add a third criteria to the list before changing people's status, or I would have moved about 35 people who had opted in to error status, thinking they had not responded to this mailing.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I actually would have expected for "confirm opt in" to count as a status change.  

I'm going to point this out to my developers to see if that was intentional or if that's an adjustment they need to make.  

Edge of the Woods

• 40 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
thank you, and also... why didn't the opt-ins show up as clicks?  I think about 30 people  opted in from my mailing, i find it hard to believe they did it in some other way than clicking the big green button i gave them?   the response says I only got 3 clicks.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there, 

Sorry, this slipped under my radar!   Those clicks are actually untrackable, as they are considered a PURL.  Each link that was sent out was personalized for each person, and as they are all different links, they aren't able to be tracked by our system.  

Let me know if you have any more questions about that!