Can I view/edit templates directly without creating a new email?

• Idea
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Not Planned
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: EOL CLEANUP

Why do I have to "Create a New Email" in "Campaigns" in order to view my template gallery?  Why can't I just have the option to go to my template gallery then create a new mailing from there?  Viewing my templates via the "Create a New Email" option is irritating b/c now I have this Untitled Mailing sitting in a queue, with a new one created every time I want to view/edit a template.  Wouldn't it be a great idea to have a "View/Edit Templates" option somewhere under "Campaigns"?  

(using Chrome 41 64-bit and Firefox 37)
Photo of MBH&H

MBH&H

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
  • not amused.

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi there! You also posted in this conversation, and I'm putting together some information for you there. :)
Photo of MBH&H

MBH&H

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks Katie -

Would appreciate specifically addressing the option to view templates directly, since the other convo is really about viewing specific mailings, not templates.

Best,

Kelly
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Sure! Thanks for adding that distinction in the other thread.

Here, are you wanting to see from your main Campaigns page which template was used for each mailing? Or are you wanting to view the entire template gallery without first clicking to open a current mailing or create a new mailing?

Just want to make sure I'm understanding whether your ultimate goal is in seeing the template's name for a mailing or in seeing the gallery to decide which template you want to use.
Photo of MBH&H

MBH&H

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Katie - no, here we're just wanting to view/edit the templates in the gallery without having to create a new or edit a current mailing. The ultimate goal is seeing the gallery of template in order to choose one to edit or use to create a mailing.  (The previous convo's solution would be helpful if it included the option to view the template's name as well.)

Thanks!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thanks, Kelly! So it sounds like you're wanting to be taken right to this page

without first clicking to create a new mailing. Once you're on this page, you want to select a template you've tailored in the past and make further changes to it itself, not to a mailing using that template. Is that right?

We are talking here about editing templates using the Save as Template tool, so I think there are a couple things here: First, you'd like to see the entire template gallery without creating a mailing; and second, you want to edit a template you created using Save as Template, without that saving a new version of that template (i.e. you want to save overtop of that template).

I know this sounds nit-picky, but I want to make sure to call out both pieces because if we did create them, they'd be created separately. I'm going to go ahead and loop in our Product Team for this specific idea, accessing the template gallery from the Campaigns page, and do you think the other conversation I link to in the paragraph above addresses your desire to edit a template you've created in the past?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Me again. :) I knew we'd talked about this in Emma Community before, but I couldn't find the thread earlier, and I just found it here.

I'm still checking with our Product Team to see if our intentions have changed. As of last year, we weren't pursuing this. I'll keep you posted!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Good morning! I spoke with our Product Team, and we aren't planning to add the ability to view templates without first clicking to create a new mailing.

Thank you for sharing this idea!
Photo of MBH&H

MBH&H

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Katie -

Thanks for the reply.  I can understand the thought process behind the "Save as Template" process discussed here and that's honestly not an issue (it's simple enough deleting the previous template to keep things neat, the issue is getting to the template gallery in the first place).

In response to your first paragraph, yes - we want to be taken directly to the "My Templates" gallery w/o having to create a new mailing.  We want to access the gallery directly in order to make changes to a particular template, not a mailing that used that template.  We do not need to save over that newly-edited template; using the "Save as Template" to create a new template is fine (it preserves the 'lineage' so to speak - and we can delete the older stuff as needed).

Where the next frustration lies is that, currently, if we open a template, edit it, and "Save as Template," an untitled mailing is created.  I think if we were able to work directly in the Template Gallery - without linking to Campaigns at all - it would solve that problem.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Kelly! I think a clarification that might help is this: When you select a template, make changes to the template and use Save as Template, what you're actually doing is saving the mailing you just created as a reusable template. That's why an untitled mailing is created, because in truth you were creating a mailing and then decided to make it a template to be able to work from in the future; that mailing's code is what's saved as template code.

You aren't able to edit within the template gallery itself because those templates are in essence frozen with their coded design elements. Once you select one (for use in a mailing or with the intention of creating a reusable template), you're working outside of the template gallery so that the template gallery isn't adversely affected by any inadvertent changes.

I'm sorry to hear that it causes frustration to select a template and use Save as Template with an untitled mailing being created. It sounds like you're creating reusable templates before you're ready to create the mailing using that template, and it's interesting to think about that workflow! We aren't planning to change how editing a template works, yet I'll keep you posted if we do.
Photo of Loh

Loh

• 28 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I'm a new user here and what the OP is suggesting makes total sense.  I just created a template and saved it.  Then I edited it slightly (for use with a different group) and saved it as a new name.  Then I wanted to go back and edit the first template, but I found that I couldn't save a template with the same name. Why ever not?  Why can't I write over a template? Further, I don't see any way to delete templates so if I mistakenly save a template or decide to make later changes, I keep having to create NEW templates and my template library gets larger and larger, when I really only need 3 templates!

I'd love to be able to go directly to my templates and edit them (save over top of one already created, or delete one already created.) instead of having to go through a campaign.

So yes, I'm bringing up 2 problems here.  1. Easy access to templates, 2. Ability to over write templates.
(Edited)
Photo of PBD

PBD

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I completely agree with the feature being suggested. The template area is a pain when you want to change something. I just created a new template and got four 'untitled' emails just from creating this one template. It's a little bit overkill. The ability to just change templates without actually having to create an email would be preferred. It would also make it easier to know exactly what we're doing. The whole template system is flawed. I can't even get the 'Save as Template' dropdown after I chose to create a new template so there seems to be some work needed in the entire area. Having to create an entire new template when only one part needs to be changed is time-consuming and not user-friendly. My clients are getting pretty frustrated and struggle with creating emails altogether.
Photo of Professional Training Institute

Professional Training Institute

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I completely agree!   Why cant I ONLY edit my templates WITHOUT creating a new campaign?  There should be a "My Templates" tab on the Home page.
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey folks!   I wanted to reach out and let you know that I'm going to add you guys in to the request for this.  

Thanks for your feedback, it seriously is very valuable for us! 
Photo of Mobile Growth Fellowship

Mobile Growth Fellowship

• 10 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I would like to add to the request for this feature. It seems downright silly to not allow us to edit a template. Especially one we created. This is basic UI/UX 101. If I create a template and realize I made a mistake...or...realized that if I just put "X" in there I can increase open rate or CTR, then WHY wouldn't you allow us access to make that adjustment? Seems like a no brainer to me...and others, obviously. 10 months later....you still haven't added it.
Photo of Mile High Young Professionals

Mile High Young Professionals

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
+1 for this request. Currently, to edit a template, I have to create a campaign, make the update, save it as a different template, then delete the old one and rename the new one. Seems like about 4 more steps than needed. Thanks!
Photo of St. John Associates

St. John Associates

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I agree with everyone else about this. This would be a very helpful change.
Photo of Bertschi School

Bertschi School

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same problem here! Following.
Photo of Papapietro Perry

Papapietro Perry

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I need to just go to the Template Gallery, select the template i'd like to use, then click on duplicate to make my new email campaign. Why is that so hard?
Photo of Audubon Society of Rhode Island

Audubon Society of Rhode Island

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
+1 for this capability
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
+1 for this.  The current method is ridiculous.
Photo of Kat Mullens

Kat Mullens

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
How do I even edit a template? I'm not even able to find how to do this :/
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
hey Kat, it looks like Caroline sent you an email the other day with some info on that.  Let me know if you have any additional questions!
Photo of Kat Mullens

Kat Mullens

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I don't have a response. Could you please resend it? Thanks
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hmm.. it seems like she sent it to the right address (same as your username?)  ... 

I went ahead and forwarded as well.  You may need to add myemma.com to your safe-sender list. I do see it's a government address, so perhaps the security is a bit more strict on your server.  

Either way, Caroline basically explained that for changes to an existing template, there are 2 options:

1. If it's JUST a link or text change (not formatting, just the text itself), we can handle those requests here in Support.  
2. If the changes you're looking for include images or any text formatting, you would want to head to our design revisions form at www.myemma.com/design-revisions 
Photo of Water Street Design

Water Street Design

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello,

I am trying to edit a preexisting template by adding in a couple links. Could someone help me with this? Thanks.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
 Hey there Water Street Design,  

To reiterate what I mentioned above:

1. If it's JUST a link or text change (not formatting, just the text itself), we can handle those requests here in Support.  
2. If the changes you're looking for include images or any text formatting, you would want to head to our design revisions form at www.myemma.com/design-revisions 

You're welcome to reach out to the support team here via phone or email with the specifics of what you need edited.  OR, if you are needing to add in links that do not currently exist on the template, reach out to the design revisions form.  

Cheers!

- G