Can we disable the feature that auto-suggests which mailing lists to send to?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Just got this question from a colleague who designs our email campaigns:

When I send a test email in Emma, it looks like I could potentially send it to one of the mailing groups (e.g., when I type in the letter “T” Emma may suggest both [our colleague whose name begins with T] and the “Touchpoints newsletter” group [our main mailing list of 13,000 people]. Is there any way to disable this feature? 

Other than telling her to just be really careful, is there anything we can do to minimize the potential for a really embarrassing human error?
Photo of Laurie T.

Laurie T.

• 98 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Phillip M

Phillip M, Official Rep

• 247 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hi,

Phillip from Emma Support here! It sounds as if this could be an issue with cache and cookies in the web browser since Emma doesn't store that type of information. Keeping your cache and cookies cleared is paramount as it can cause issues from login difficulties to mailing rendering problems. To see how to easily clear clear those cache and cookies on your browser, just click hereIf that doesn't remedy the problem or if you have any additional questions, just let us know. We are definitely here to help!
Photo of Laurie T.

Laurie T.

• 98 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Thanks, Phillip. It doesn't seem to be a cache issue. Please see screenshot, attached. 
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Laurie -- Stepping in for Philip while he's out of the office. Now that we know it's not a cache and cookies issue, I did a bit more research on this. I believe the the recommendations there in the recipient box are alphabetical by group. The first three groups listed are all preceded by a number, which is likely pushing them to the top. I suggest removing the number on the Touchpoints group to see if that moves it out of the number one spot. 

Let me know if that does the trick!
Photo of Laurie T.

Laurie T.

• 98 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hi, Emily --

Thanks for your help on this. The problem is not that Touchpoints is in the number one spot. The problem is that it is very easy to inadvertently send a test email to a real audience group, in this case, any audience group that happens to have a T anywhere in its name. Removing the numbers wouldn't solve this, and in any case we need the numbers because it's the only way we can determine the order the groups appear in on our sign up forms, since Emma puts them in alphabetical order.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there any way to only be able to send test emails to test groups?

Thanks again for your help.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Ah, I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding there! There isn't currently a way to filter out audience groups on the send test panel. This really boils down to the fact that test groups aren't necessary anymore. The test group originated with our classic editor as the way to send a mailing to a specific group and not be charged for it. Now that you can specify your sends based on which send panel you use (test vs. review & send), the test group becomes obsolete. You can still use them of course, but they're no longer necessary for sending a test. The advantage here is that you can send tests to groups larger than 10 when using the test panel to send to a normal audience group. 

I hope that context helps a bit! Let me know if you have any other questions. You may try an approach of naming your test groups clearly so you can simply search for "test" and have the first results be all groups that include "test" in the name. Just brainstorming here. :)
Photo of Laurie T.

Laurie T.

• 98 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

Thanks!  I like the idea of giving the test groups a standardized name format -- that may help cut the risk.

Could you tell me the difference between sending a test through "Send test" vs. sending only to select recipients through "Review and Send"? Are we charged for one but not the other?  Looks like we may be using both interchangeably. Any other differences to be aware of? It looks like "send test" has certain names preloaded, and that also may help us cut the risk of accidentally sending to the wrong group.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Great questions, Laurie! You are actually billed based on the number of active contacts in your account, so in your case your method of send has no impact on your billing. 

I always recommend using the send test feature for any sends prior to your final send to a single contact or group. One advantage here is that you can add notes, like "Hey, take a look at this and check my work!". Additionally, test mailings are listed in a separate tab from mailings on the Response page. So you can quickly scan your sends without having to navigate through test sends or non-final versions of your mailings. Finally, sending a test does not move your campaign to the Sent tab on the Campaigns page. So, it's easier to locate and continue editing before sending that final version. Beyond those points, I'd say your send method would come down to personal preference. :)