Can we see a full list of Templates (made both in the template editor and Assets) in one centralized location?

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Not Planned
  • (Edited)
This is more of a question and if not currently implemented, then a feature request.

Is there a way to see ALL of our templates, made in the Template Builder AND the Drag and Drop editor using the "Save As Template" feature, in one centralized list?  

Right now we have to go to individual accounts to see, delete, use or rename the templates.  It is a bit of a disjointed process.  

If we had one master list of where all of the templates that belong to our main account, as well as, the sub accounts, it would make working and editing the templates MUCH easier. 
I see in the Assets area using the Template builder we can see what templates are shared or tied to the different accounts but for the ones in using the Drag and Drop, we can't see what templates are tied to what account.  

If we could then also make the edit the templates in the central area, then the changes would take affect to the template to be used by those sub accounts.

It is confusing that we can't make changes to an existing template (made using the Drag and Drop) and name it the same name, we have to name it something different.
Photo of Carlos

Carlos

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Carlos! You're right that there is not one, central place to view a list of all template names for templates created in Template Builder and using Save as Template across all sub-accounts. I'm checking in with our Product Team to see if we've any plans to create that.

A few questions for you right off:
  1. Where in your account would you want to view this list?
  2. It sounds like your use case is you want to view all of the templates so you can manage them -- deleting or renaming them, or selecting them to work from; is that right? If so, how likely is it that one of your sub-accounts would have created a template in their account using Save as Template, you make an edit to it at the master level from your list of templates and they want to undo that change? I'm trying to get a feel for what the collaboration's like between you and your sub-accounts in terms of who creates/manages the templates.
  3. How often are you finding that a template's been created using Save as Template and you or your sub-account wants to make a change to that template and save over top of it without creating a new template?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I want to add that for #3 above, this conversation should help!
Photo of Carlos

Carlos

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Katie,

Thanks for the response.  

1.If it would be an area to view them all, it would probably be under where the current "Assets" area is.  Which should probably be called "Templates" since that is only what resides in that area currently anyways.

2. Yes, you are correct, we would want one central location.   It is highly unlikely a sub-account user would make a template using the Save as Template.  We typically would create a template for the account users and they would just fill in content in the designated content areas.  This is a benefit of having all the templates in a centralized location.  Typically the content layout is the same throughout.

However, IF a user were to save a template, we would like it to show up in the "Assets/Templates" area and then we could see what account it is tied to, much like the 'Share' tab does now in the "Assets" area.  Then we would have the option to share that template across accounts if we see fit.

This would be beneficial for a system of tiered viewing of the Assets/Templates section.  Let's say a Manager of one of the accounts only has access to the 'Marketing' section for campaigns, they would ALSO only have access to the templates that are 'Shared' or made for Marketing.

3.  This case happens once a month or so.  
The main case I ran into is that we have a "Base" template that was made in "Assets".  The footer content needed to change, so I changed it in the "Base" template in Assets, HOWEVER, we had multiple templates that were made from the "Base" template using the Save As Template option.  

I made change to the Base Template, thinking that all of the templates made FROM the "Base" template would get the changes. This is not the case at all.  The "Save As Template" templates now have the old footer content and the footer content can NOT be edited within the Drag and Drop editor, and I don't have access to them in the Assets areas, so now I must recreate about 20 templates that were modified in the Drag and Drop editor that used the "Base" template.

There is no way to edit the footer content for those templates edited in the Drag and Drop editor and used the "Save as Template" feature, because the footer content was made in the "Base" template.  Does that make sense?
(Edited)
Photo of Carlos

Carlos

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Edited and added a pic for #3. But yes similar conversation as that one. 
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thanks for all this great info, Carlos! I'll go in order of your responses:

Assets is labeled this because some accounts have other sharing abilities here, like image sharing. I've switched this on for your account now so you can upload images here and select which accounts should have access to them. It makes sense to me that Assets is where you'd want the template list, too.

It helps to understand that your users aren't using Save as Template. Many accounts set up like yours do have their sub-account users using Save as Template. We can turn off the Save as Template option for all of your sub-accounts -- Would that help with this?

I think I'm following what you ran into where you edited a template's footer, and any templates created from the original didn't carry over the master's changes. That's what we're talking about in this conversation (I've added you to the accounts who'd like that feature, too).

For this thread here, I'll focus on the idea of having a central list to access all templates, no matter how/where they were created. I'll let you know what I find out from our Product Team!
Photo of Carlos

Carlos

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Kind of like that conversation and your answer to that conversation.  
I would have to make the point that if the new template gets a new template ID, I get, BUT I still need access to edit the parts of the template that were created from the "Base" template.  So even if the "Save As Template" template is actually a brand new template, I still need access to edit the HTML of the WHOLE template so I can change things like the footer or header for that particular template.  I don't mind if the template is a different template, that part I get, but if I could go in a edit the template's HTML so I can change the parts I need to, like in my case above. Right now I have not way of doing this, so now I much create a whole new template using a new template base just for a simple text change to the footer.  Really cumbersome.
Photo of Carlos

Carlos

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Let's now turn off the Save As Template feature quite yet, I will get back to you on that. I have a meeting set up with our Marketing Department today and I will bring this issue up.  I may just have to create a whole slew of new templates in the Assets area for our accounts to use, then have them all switch over to using the new templates. 

Thanks for the responses.  
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi again, Carlos! I spoke with our Product Team, and this idea came up in conversation a week or so ago. It isn't on our roadmap yet, so I'm setting the status as Not Planned, and I'll keep you updated about any progress here.

Thank you for sharing!
Photo of Jason Buzzell

Jason Buzzell

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
We have an agency account and can share templates down toe subaccounts. But it doesn't seem like if they make edits and save a template, we can see the template in our view and make edits OR share. This would be a nice feature. I think this is tied to this conversation.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Thanks, Jason! I've added your use case to this feature request.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey Jason! I'd love to learn a bit more about what you're looking for here, so I can relay that to our Product Team. Are you looking to have access to your user's saved templates from the agency level, maybe in Assets, so that you can implement changes there rather than in each sub-account? 

I'm curious if you've explored the new Campaign Builder feature of the Drag & Drop Template Builder. You can now create template at the parent level, using templates you've built or Emma templates, add content and share those campaigns with your sub-accounts. This could eliminate the need for your subs to save their own versions of your shared templates. 
Photo of Jason Buzzell

Jason Buzzell

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I can look into that. It just seems odd if we let the save template option at the subaccount, we can't see that from the parent account. If say for example we like what someone has done at a subaccount within the header and footer, we'd love to take that and use that as a starting point for others without having to create one from scratch ourselves at the top-level.