Can you check my SPF record syntax please?

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Not a Problem

Here's what my current entry looks like but I don't think the syntax is correct because I'm getting an error from http://www.kitterman.com/spf/validate.html for the domain erdmananthony.com

v=spf1 a mx include:e2ma.net -all 
v=spf2.0/pra a mx include:e2ma.net -all 
v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all

I've attached an image of what the entries look like in our DNS.

Photo of Erdman Anthony

Erdman Anthony

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • Confused

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- I'm circling up with our delivery team to see what I can find out about this!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Official Response
Ok -- You don't need two entries for the same SPF version. Having two could actually caus issues, so you'll need to edit your "v=spf1" records from this: 

erdmananthony.com descriptive text "v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all" 
erdmananthony.com descriptive text "v=spf1 a mx include:e2ma.net -all" 

TO this: 

erdmananthony.com descriptive text "v=spf1 a mx include:e2ma.net include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all" 

Let me know if that doesn't do the trick!
Photo of Erdman Anthony

Erdman Anthony

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks! I will try this out and see how it goes. We were concerned about the differences in the two entries. The one has "a mx" and the other doesn't. We don't want to break the interaction to our company email. Do these variables just need to be before the "include:" and only adjust the entry they preceded?

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
You can copy and paste this into your TXT record: 

v=spf1 a mx include:e2ma.net include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all" 

The "a mx" part is usually before the "include" statements, but I don't know for certain that it matters where they are. You do need separate "include" statements for each mail server that might send mail on behalf of his domain.

Let me know if you run into any other hiccups here!