Can I create a trigger based on the WordPress Emma Emarketing plugin?

• Idea
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Implemented
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Implemented!

I recently installed the Emma Emarketing plugin for WordPress, which routes new email leads directly into an Emma group. But can I create a trigger based on someone joining this group? Since the sign-up form was not created directly through Emma, I don't see any way to do this.
Photo of Oregon Entrepreneurs Network

Oregon Entrepreneurs Network

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Brittany Fowler

Brittany Fowler, Champion

• 169 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Hi there,

Triggers are handy devices for reaching your email marketing audience, and Emma offers some nifty ways of creating triggers for your campaigns. Our newest creation is a trigger that will go to people who have signed up to receive your emails from our new iPad app, Guestbook. Here is a picture of our current trigger creation screen:

There is not a way to send out a trigger email when you add someone to your audience, both for Emma and integrations we've paired with, but as we develop our Emma integrations further, the option to send to those who sign up for your emails from a supported integration is in the cards.
Photo of D'nelle

D'nelle

• 16 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi there -

I have this exact problem. I have not yet found a way to create a trigger based on sign-ups through the Emma Emarketing plug-in for WordPress. It's disappointing, because MailChimp integrates SO SEAMLESSLY with WordPress.

The developers of that plug-in are here in Nashville, and I've contacted them directly about this. Ultimately, the problem is that the plug-in does not "permit the addition of a signup ID, which is what would be required to trigger a message from signup via that integration" - something that the developers, because they maintain that plug-in for free, aren't planning to do any time soon.

I would love to see Emma take a WordPress plug-in more seriously, as I work exclusively in WordPress, and I choose Emma as an ESP whenever I have the option - but some people really need that seamless trigger HTML email sent when someone signs up from the site (like MailChimp does).

You *do* have the option of embedding the Emma iframe in your WordPress site, although it is VERY clunky looking.

When I can get away with it (when I've got a client who isn't super picky), I simply do a once-a-day or once-a-week manual campaign to a search that I create for the list that you are sending all of your plug-in addresses to.

That plug-in will send a confirmation email, but it's text only and not very pretty.

Hope that all of this helps! Let me know if you have further questions - having gone through this same thing, I might be of use :)
Photo of Austin Lloyd

Austin Lloyd

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes, please add a way to seamlessly integrate with WordPress. I LOVE Emma, but my entire ecommerce site is on WordPress and I can't change it at this point. 
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Austin! I want to pop in here real quick to ask: Are you looking for an RSS-to-email tool? If so, we’ve decided not to pursue that, and I have some details in this conversation as to why. Give that a read, and let us know if you have any other questions!
Photo of Austin Lloyd

Austin Lloyd

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Katie,

Actually, no. I have my customers register on my site before they can make a purchase. I was looking to find a way for them to automatically be added to a list on Emma when they register and to receive a welcome email (trigger).
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thanks for those details! If your customers are registering through a form you didn’t create using Emma, you might consider connecting that form to your Emma account using our API. That way, your customers are entered into your account’s audience and you can trigger a welcome mailing to send to them.

We don’t provide support for the API, so you’ll want to make sure you’re comfortable with the documentation linked above, but give me a shout with any questions about this idea!
Photo of Austin Lloyd

Austin Lloyd

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have a developer helping me with this, so this is perfect. Thank you!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Great! So glad to hear it. :)
Photo of D'nelle

D'nelle

• 16 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hey Austin - if your developer creates a plug-in that will activate a trigger email (as opposed to the existant free plug-in that's out in the WordPress repository), I would love to buy a copy for several of my ecommerce client sites! My email is hello@berry-interesting.com - if you are willing, I'd really appreciate you putting me in touch with your dev!
Photo of Austin Lloyd

Austin Lloyd

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi D'nelle. It turns out that this is not solving the issue and I am having the same problem as you. My new customers are added to a group I created, but I am unable to create a trigger event if I have not used the MyEmma sign-up form. I'm bummed. :(
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I totally hear you both. I’ve been doing some research into how possible this would be, but it’s a bit above my head. :) So I’m going to loop in our Integrations Team to learn a bit more and keep you posted.
Photo of Mums on Top

Mums on Top

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
We are really keen to get this trigger working too if possible. We manage 6900 people and over 30 groups so it would come in very handy! 
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Really glad to have everyone's feedback! Our Integrations Team said that in order to make this possible, we would need to build our own WordPress plugin. (It may already be clear, but the plugin that's currently offered in our integrations directory was built by a third-party developer, who isn't maintaining the integration anymore.)

It isn't planned right now because of the other efforts we have on deck, but that could change with enough demand. I've passed along the number of folks who've commented here and voted up at the top, so please keep those votes coming if you're interested!
Photo of Jordana Paige

Jordana Paige

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I would really like this as well.
Photo of JWillScott

JWillScott

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I've spent so much time creating a welcome series to not be able to use it now. Disappointing 
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I’m sorry to hear you’re disappointed, Will.
Photo of D'nelle

D'nelle

• 16 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi guys!
I thought I'd chime in, because I've been looking into ways to accomplish this. It appears that there may be a way to do it, but I haven't actually successfully executed a change in the code to make it happen. 

I know it's some cold comfort, but there may be a way to make this happen. I'm working on it in my spare time (and with some help from the folks at Emma) but if I figure anything out, I will let you all know. 

From the exploring I've done so far, it doesn't look like it's too far off from being possible to have triggers executed from within emma through people signing up using the plug-in form (rather than having to use that ugly confirmation email option that the plugin has now).

That said, I myself am NOT qualified to maintain a wordpress plugin, so any changes that I made would end up being a use-at-your-own-risk kind of thing.
(Edited)
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi all! Just want to let you know that our WordPress integration is now live. You can view our help doc here in the Resource Center and the plugin page on WordPress's website.