Can I embed a video clip in my email?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: EOL Clean up

I want to embed a video clip into the body of my email so that the video starts playing within the email. Doable?
Photo of FAQ

FAQ

• 44 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Not doable, I'm afraid: There is not a way to embed video directly into an email. There are a couple of reasons we wouldn't recommend embedding something like this in your campaign. First, it can make a campaign a little heavy for the recipient, and second, some servers will block these types of files from coming through. That can negatively affect your delivery rate, which we never want to happen.

What we often recommend is that you take a screenshot of your video, put that screenshot in an image box in your campaign and link that image to your video. Video files can be stored in the document library on your Campaigns page.

The movie formats that can be stored in the document library are:
swf - Macromedia Flash Movie
flv - Flash Streaming Video
ppt - Microsoft Powerpoint
mpg - MPEG Video
mpeg - MPEG Video
wmv - Windows Media Video
mov - QuickTime Video

You can also host the video directly on your site or on another website.

Oh, and the added bonus of linking to your video -- either in your document library or on a website -- is being able to track which recipients clicked to view it. That way, you can target those very active members further, if you'd like!
Photo of Ramon Ramon

Ramon Ramon

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Katie, now there are same tools that automates the process of embedding video into an email. One of them is http://www.viwomail.com that create more than 20 formats, the GIF and an alternative image to show the best option the the recipients, depending on their email client, device or resolution. Everything is automated, and you have statistics of views in your private area. Regards!
Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
There are some potential workarounds, none of which are 100% foolproof:

HTML5 won't be supported in all clients, but it is an option and can be coded so you have a fallback. See this link for some ideas: http://www.pinpointe.com/blog/how-to-...

Animated gifs. This is my favorite option. Animated gifs are supported in all email clients except Outlook I believe. Here's how I do it:

+ Take a short clip from your video and convert to an animated gif.
+ In Photoshop, add a play button to the very first frame
+ Upload and insert the gif into your email, linking it to where the video lives (e.g. YouTube)

For most email clients, the animated clip will play and loop and you'll have a really neat feature that engages users and gets more clicks. For clients that don't support the animation, they'll just show the first frame, which has a play button on it, enticing the click through to the video page!

Here's an example we did for a recent video contest promo (YouTube link isn't valid anymore): http://e2.ma/webview/0m5t4/0d077674ae...
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
These are great alternatives, Matt! To note for those following along, Outlook 2007 is the version that doesn't support animated gifs. We have a bit more about Outlook's quirks on this page.
Photo of Kati Hyer

Kati Hyer

• 47 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Aww the link doesn't work. 
Photo of Rachel Rogers

Rachel Rogers, Communications Strategist

• 89 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Sorry about that! Katie is out of the office for the holidays, but my guess is she was trying to link to this support article that talks about some of things that can pop up when working with Outlook.
Photo of Imaginary Forces

Imaginary Forces

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Vimeo Embedded link.

Is it possible to add the embedded video link from Vimeo into a message? I keep trying to edit the HTML with this link but it doesn't seem to save.

Imaginary Forces

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
For the record, I don't want to put a video in the email, but the embed link from Vimeo.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
It sounds like Vimeo offers an embed code like YouTube does. Here’s a screenshot from one of our YouTube videos:

If the goal is to add code like that to your mailing so that the video will play directly in the mailing when someone clicks on it, that won’t work in an email environment.

But, if you have a regular URL link, like this — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvlFXCUWwNk — you can link text or an image in your mailing to that URL so your recipients can click it and be taken outside the mailing to watch it.

Imaginary Forces

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I made got it to work.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Glad to hear it!
Photo of Matthew Ferrara & Co

Matthew Ferrara & Co

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I think embedding YouTube video code is something MyEmma should really work on. It's VERY common for me to receive email newsletters with embedded videos in them (not the file, but the code then plays). And considering that Facebook now plays video right off the timeline, Vine is all about video inside Twitter, and video drives great engagement, I'd love to see MyEmma move to the forefront on this issue.....
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hello! I actually don’t believe I’ve received an email with an embedded video that works. Would you be up for sharing one with me at katie@myemma.com that you’ve received? I’d like to see the experience.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I want to mention that not all files that can be stored in the document library will work on every device; for example, Androids can’t handle .mov files. You’ll want to send a test of your mailing to a few different devices before your main send to your audience to see how those devices handle your work.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Update: You can use our new video block to feature your YouTube and Vimeo videos. Read more about the video block here, in the Resource Center.
Photo of tapper1591

tapper1591

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm interested to know if this will include any tracking data like you would get the image/link click solution. 
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there!  Yes, the video block tracks clicks just like a normal image/link click.  It will show on the heat map and be a part of exported link clicks.  

Cheers!

- G
Photo of Kristine Noren

Kristine Noren

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I would love to see Emma address this issue. Embedding video would be a big value-add to the system.