Can I include CAPTCHA in my Emma signup form?

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Under Consideration
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Is there a way for me to add a CAPTCHA field in the signup form I created in my account?
Photo of Katie

Katie

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Great question! CAPTCHA isn't an option if you've created your signup form at the bottom of your Audience page. However, my team and I brainstormed some workarounds:

1) One workaround here would be to highly encourage your subscribers to click on the confirmation email that's sent to those who sign up. That way, you can create a segment on your Audience page and only send to those who have confirmed, thus excluding the bad addresses submitted by bots.

2) Another idea involves a bit more involvement from your development team, but maybe this is an option for you. Spambots will fill out every field on the page, so you can create a form on your website and add a "hidden" field which humans would ignore but spam bots would fill out. You would then use JavaScript to only submit the forms that have nothing in that hidden field. Then, you can use Emma's API to connect your signup form to your Emma audience.
(Edited)
Photo of Take Your Talent To The Bank

Take Your Talent To The Bank

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
How can we prevent spambots from adding email addresses to our lists?.

Someone suggested adding a captcha. Is there a way to do this?
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
An update here: If you're using our Gravity Forms integration with WordPress, you might opt for their No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA option.
Photo of Steve Palmquist

Steve Palmquist

• 29 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
It seems like it's time for Emma to integrate some form of CAPTCHA or "prove you're a human" type of security question to the sign-up process. Most of us work pretty hard to keep our audience lists clean--having some help against spam bots would be a nice assist in that effort.

I see that MailChimp offers this (http://kb.mailchimp.com/lists/signup-forms/create-signup-forms-and-response-emails) as well as Constant Contact (http://support2.constantcontact.com/articles/SupportFAQ/2583?q=CAPTCHA&l=en_US&fs=Search&...).

Is there any chance this request could be put on the enhancement list? As I try to sell the Emma service through my agency account, I'm finding that my clients are now becoming sophisticated enough to ask about sign-up list security and protection against things like spam bots.

Thanks,
Steve
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Steve -- Thanks for your input here. I'm changing this post to an Idea and running this by our Product Team to see if they have any plans to upgrade the classic signup forms with this kind of functionality. I'll update the status here when I know more!
Photo of Ashley

Ashley

• 68 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
I agree Steve, one of our clients had to be pushed to MailChimp instead of MyEmma for this very reason.
Photo of Steve Palmquist

Steve Palmquist

• 29 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thanks, Ashley. I'll be curious to hear if the Product Team has this on their radar. And, thank you to Katie for checking on this.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
I've marked this Idea as Under consideration in hopes that we can gain more traction here and move this request up the priority list for future iterations of signup forms!
Photo of GC_EMMA

GC_EMMA

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Emily- just want to add my voice that we are having trouble with spam signups as well. We've been Emma clients for the past 2-3 years and never had a problem until the past week or so, and now the vast majority of my signups are spam. I'm deleting them in Emma and not loading them into our CRM (via ROI Solutions), but it's a real pain staying on top of them -- especially this time of year, our busiest season! It does seem like there should be some kind of spam protection in the signup. Thank you!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Thanks for sharing this use case! I'll put this feature request in for your account. Happy holidays!
Photo of GC_EMMA

GC_EMMA

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you! You too!
Photo of GC_EMMA

GC_EMMA

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Emily, has there been any follow up on this idea? Spam signups are getting out of control for us -- like 25+ per day that all have to be deleted. It seems like this should be a priority given how many spam bots are out there. Please give us an update!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi GC_Emma -- I don't have any news to report here. We know this would be valuable work, but we don't have any sign-up form work planned right now. We're looking into solutions for this that can be implemented when we do turn our attention to sign-up forms.
Photo of Edge of the Woods

Edge of the Woods

• 40 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
HI, this seems like a basic service that should be part of the Emma sign up form that you offer us.  As a small business owner,  I do my own website, my own email marketing, and also the work of my business.  I rely on my providers to be top-notch and all encompassing in what they provide.  Please advocate for a captcha option on the WordPress integrated signup form!
Photo of GC_EMMA

GC_EMMA

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Or any kind of SPAM protection function such as preventing multiple signups from the same IP address -- I have to admit that we are looking for a new email platform now, largely because of this issue. It's become a major problem for us.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi again -- I understand this is a very important feature for you. I'll circle back with the Product Team to see if I can get an updated timeline on when this work may be implemented. 

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
We're not planning to revisit our signup form feature set in the first half of 2016, but may be able to make some improvements in the second half of the year. We'll consider adding CAPTCHA at that time, but it's not currently among the features in high demand. Votes on this idea may change that, though! So if this is something you're struggling with, please make sure to vote it up so that we can account for your needs in our product planning. I will make sure that request is logged on your behalf. :)
Photo of Family Missions Company

Family Missions Company

• 13 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
We want this feature!