Can I search for specific criteria in a specific column of imported data?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

I have a big list of contacts that are students in various phases of the enrollment funnel. My excel sheet is set up so that one column is named Status. In the status column there are several audience segments. I filter them by Alumni, Current,  DNE (Did Not Enroll), etc. Below is a stripped down screen shot of what my file looks like. I deleted actual email address just for security. 

The entire list has almost 1,000 contacts.

Can I create a search or segment that will find only "Alumni" within the Status column?

A contact who currently lives as a "Current" student in the status col. may next week be in "Alumni" status and shouldn't get an email meant for the a current student. My contacts move through the funnel quickly. 

As a temporary solution:

I tried to open this group which is labeled "GIS Mega Master" and then copy all the "Alumni" to a new group called "GIS Alumni" and it looks like they copied but the "Active" tab says 0 even though there are email addresses shown. Furthermore, I'd like them in segments or as searches as opposed to groups because they are dynamic and fast moving.  

Bottom Line: Copying over to groups isn't working it appears. Even if it did, clicking each of those boxes individually is going to get old fast. But I can't "Select All" either. 

A dynamic search based on the column "Status" that filters the appropriate data within the field is what I need. Is that possible now? If not, how should I segment this list? Please don't say import 12 new lists into 12 new groups because that would ruin my day and a lot of hard work it took to get this list compiled into what it is now. 

Thank  you for for all your help and quick feedback. I feel like I am here a lot. Working in higher ed with all these scenarios is challenging. 
Photo of Kelly

Kelly

• 84 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
  • stumped.

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Rachel Rogers

Rachel Rogers, Communications Strategist

• 89 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi there, Kelly!

You can definitely create a dynamic search using your "Status" field. I created a test segment for you that you can see in your account called "Emma Test - Status DNF."

The only thing that made this tricky was the fact that due to some pretty long names on some of your fields, the "Add" button isn't clearly visible after you select what bit of contact information you're filtering using. Once you select the Status field, hit "Tab" on your keyboard, and that will jump you over to the "Add" button so that you can continue building your segment.

Thanks so much for reaching out! We're always happy to help! Please let me know if there's anything else I can do. :)

Photo of Kelly

Kelly

• 84 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Ah ha! That's why I was having an issue. I couldn't see that button. Thank you!
Photo of Kelly

Kelly

• 84 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
It doesn't look like I can edit a shortcut name within the "manage fields" editor? Is that correct?

Photo of Rachel Rogers

Rachel Rogers, Communications Strategist

• 89 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
That's right! Shortcut names will basically be un-editable after the field has initially been created. The shortcut names are internal, though, and won't effect the width of your drop down list when creating those segments. You should be able to edit the name of the field without any difficulty. Hope this helps!
Photo of Kelly

Kelly

• 84 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Okay. I just wanted to edit the short cut name to match the display because I have multiples, not for the width aspect. I guess as long as the display name is editable that will work. Thanks.