How do I send to everyone in Group A who isn’t in Group B?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I am trying to segment my lists. Is there a way to send to all members of a group except those also in another group.

For example, Group B is a subset of group A. Can I send to all of Group A except those also in Group B?

Thanks!
Erin
Photo of NY Writers Coalition

NY Writers Coalition

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
You sure can! Here’s how:

1. On your Audience page, click on the Searches tab next to Groups.
  2. Click the Create a new search button.
  3. Choose 'Audience groups' from the dropdown menu, and click Add.
  4. Search for people who are in Group A, and click Add.
  5. Search for people who are not in Group B, and click Add.
  6. Select to match all of the above, and click Done.
  7. Name and save the search.

You can send to a search just like you can send to an audience group on your mailing’s Review & Send page.

To check out other searches you can create, head to the Resource Center. I hope this helps!
Photo of Mike Whitla

Mike Whitla

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I was trying to do this and could not see a searches tab next tor groups as described in step one. I see only a segments tab. 
I'm also wanting to send to members of group A while excluding members of group B.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Mike! That Segments tab is the one you need. We’ve made a few language tweaks in the app — like changing Searches to Segments — since my January reply.
Photo of Mike Whitla

Mike Whitla

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Katie,

I got this to work though it was not exactly the same as the method described above.
After step 4. you need to hit done to add another search criteria which was not so intuitive.

I have a question about people that opt out or bounce from a mailing sent to a segment. Will those people who opt out or bounce from a mailing to a segment also be opted out from the group that the segment comes from?

Thanks,
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Mike! You don’t need to click the Done button after that step. I’ve created a quick screencast showing how to make those selections.

When you send to a segment, you’re still sending to regular ol’ contacts who have one status in your audience. If they click to opt out, that changes their status in your account, no matter if you’re looking at a group or a segment.
Photo of Mike Whitla

Mike Whitla

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Wow you are fast. OK now I get it!

So if a contact is in two different groups and opts out of one group they are automatically opted out of both groups?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
:)

Yep, clicking to opt out changes a contact's status in the entire account. The logical next question is, What if they only want to opt out of a specific topic and not all emails from me? Check out this conversation for some pointers!
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey guys! Thanks for all of your input here. We're excited to announce the launch of a new beta feature, the ability to exclude a segment from receiving your mailing. We've posted details on that release here, and are excited to get it in front of you to see how it will meet your needs! We've turned it on for several of you already, so if you don't see this in your account just give us a shout here. We'll get it flipped on for you.