Campaign won't load within editor using new Lenovo system

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Not a Problem
  • (Edited)
I have been trying to send an email for almost a week now, and the page will not load. I have tried several different web browsers and none of them work. I have tried Google Chrome, Firefox and IE and none of them work. I click on a campaign to edit it and it just shows the html code. I have tried to start a new mailing, make a copy, etc. and nothing has worked.
Photo of NY155 - Cicero North Syracuse

NY155 - Cicero North Syracuse

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of School of Rock Huntington Beach

School of Rock Huntington Beach

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm having the same problem. I tried it on two different browsers and the same result. I tried it on another laptop and it was fine so it may be a computer issue. Please post if you find a solution.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Looking into it! Thanks.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- I'm sorry for the trouble you're having!

I hopped into your account and am able to open existing campaigns as well as create new campaigns without any trouble. Have you tried clearing the cache & cookies in any of your browsers before logging in? You'll want to completely close your browser and start a new session after clearing the cache & cookies. Please let me know if that does the trick!

If you could also try on another computer or possibly network connection, that will help me to rule out the possibilities here. Is this affecting all of your templates or just a specific template? Thanks!
(Edited)

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I tried the cache and cookies thing over the weekend and it didnt help.  I have tried two different computers and I have no problem with the template on those, but I see that as a temporary solution since neither are my computer.  Is it possible this has to do with an update to Windows 8 or something like that?  I'm just guessing. 

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
I think you might be on the right track here. Are you working on a new computer as well, or is the update to Windows 8 the most recent change? What operating system are you running on the laptop where you've been able to edit campaigns as normal?

Thanks for the additional information! We're eager to get to the bottom of this!

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm using a computer that is new as of November, but I have used it with no issues on previous EMMA campaigns.  It has Windows 8 and there may have been a new update installed in the last 30 days. 

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Ok - thanks so much! I'm not replicating this on Windows 8.1. What type of computer are you using? Have you tried clicking the "X" in the top right corner of the page...I noticed it in the screenshot included above.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi NY155 -- Can you tell me as well if you're working on a new computer or if you've recently updated your operating system? I'm looping in our Tier Two tech support team to dig into this further. Thanks!
Photo of NY155 - Cicero North Syracuse

NY155 - Cicero North Syracuse

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Emily, I am working on a new computer that has Windows 8. I tried on a different computer, with Windows 7 and it worked- but unfortunately, that's not my computer.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Thanks for that information! What type of device is your new computer? Have you tried multiple browsers on that device? Please give Firefox a try and let me know what you see.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey guys -- We're still digging into what might be causing this. I noticed there's an x in the upper right corner on the screenshot. Have either of you clicked that x? If so, what happens? Thanks!
Photo of Jessenia

Jessenia

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have clicked the X and nothing happens.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Thanks so much for your patience while we looked into this for you. 

Our developers determined that this wasn't actually related to any glitches within Emma. We also ruled out any possible issues with Windows 8- we've done plenty of testing to confirm that isn't the issue. 

SInce this is happening on one computer and not the other, it's most likely due to some sort of setting or feature on that particular computer. We'll only be able to make suggestions of things to check for, but here goes!

Here are some recommendations from our developers: 
- is java enabled in your web browser? It needs to be for Emma to work properly. (download here)
- is javascript up to date? 
- do you have any IT folks that could take a look at your machine? They'd likely be able to spot it right away. 

Thanks again for your continued patience while we looked into this puzzler- I certainly hope one of those tips helps you use Emma on your new computer! 

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
It would be super helpful as well to know what type of machine you're using. The browsers on some of the newer 2-in-1 tablet type devices can vary quite a bit from the computer version. Are you using any kind of split-screen feature as well? Thanks!

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm using a new Lenovo laptop.  It is not a 2 in 1 tablet device.  No split screen features.  I'll try the java update thing and see if that works.  

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have now tried updating Java and it is not fixing the problem.

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
And when I click on that x nothing happens

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Thank you for taking the time to follow up on all of my suggestions! I know this is frustrating, and we're doing our best to isolate the issue. 

Can you tell me, on your Lenovo laptop, if you're accessing your browser from the start screen or the desktop? I know that accessing the browser from the start screen is a new feature with Windows 8. 

Also, can you tell me the specific model of your Lenovo laptop? Thanks so much!
Photo of Jessenia

Jessenia

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm accessing my browser from my desktop and I'm using a Lenovo Y50-70 Touch.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Jessenia -- Thanks for letting us know what type of device you're using when seeing this issue. Can you tell me what browser you're using? Some customers have had success accessig their Emma account from Firefox on the Lenovo devices. If that does work for you, please let me know if the browser already existed on your device or if it was a fresh download. Thanks!

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm accessing my browser from the desktop. I am using a Lenovo Ultrabook idea pad

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Any other ideas? Really at my wits end on this thing. I've done everything I can think of, and I've had an IT professional look at my computer and he is also struggling for an answer here. Almost seems like the template pages do not launch all the way or the Java is not being allowed to run. We've checked the settings on my antivirus software and have even shut it off and tried to run the page and it still doesnt work.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- I know this is frustrating, thanks for hanging in there with us. 

Can you work with your IT professional to install a mozilla app called firebug and open up that page in Firefox? Then can you share a screenshot here of what you see in the console there? Thanks!

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I installed Firefox and the Firebug add on and the page appears as it is supposed to. So what does that mean as far as other browsers? I usually use Chrome.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Well, that's progress! I'm glad we've at least gotten you into your account on your new device.

Can you please try clicking on the Firebug add on in one your Chrome browser? It should bring up a list of "debugger" type stuff on the page that you can grab and post here for us. Using the add on in the "broken" editor may help us to identify what's not working.

Thanks so much! 

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I dont know if this is what you need. There seems to be alot of stuff I could open in this Firebug program. Please let me know.
Photo of Jessenia

Jessenia

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I also tried to install Firebug but I did not get the same outcome. Myemma still is not appearing as it usually does.
Photo of The Luxe Group, LLC

The Luxe Group, LLC

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm having the same issue using a Mac Book Pro running Safari and Chrome - we're on OS 10.10.1 - I'll work thru this chain to see if any of these suggestions work for me.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Luxe Group -- just checking in here to see if you've had any luck resolving this issue based on our suggestions. As far as we've seen, this issue on a Mac Book Pro would be unrelated.

If you're still running into trouble in your account, could you please include a screenshot here of what you're seeing as well as the details on your supportdetails.com site. That will help us to dig in further to see if this issue is indeed related! 
Photo of Laura Dickerson

Laura Dickerson, Official Rep

• 778 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Hi Luxe Group!

Definitely let us know your experience once you try the ideas posted in this thread. We want to make sure we get to the bottom of this as quickly as possible.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi All -- If you were using Chrome when running into this issue, can we have you try uninstalling and doing a fresh install of Chrome? This will be really helpful in isolating the issue. If you reinstall Chrome and have success using Emma there, please let us know! 
Photo of THP

THP

• 9 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Hello, I am using a Lenovo Yoga 2. Also new, and experiencing the same issue in Chrome. I uninstalled and reinstalled. There is no difference in accessing the editor.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi THP -- Thanks for chiming in here!

Let's dig in specifically to what might be going on here. The Firebug results for Chrome and Firefox are going to vary quite a bit, could you try accessing your account in Firefox and letting us know what you see there? We've had several reports that this problem doesn't exist when using Firefox.

If you sign in using Firefox and still have trouble, can you include a screenshot here of your Firebug details in Firefox? I'll also need to know if Firefox already existed on your Lenovo or if it was a fresh download. Thanks!!
Photo of THP

THP

• 9 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I have a slightly different issue in Firefox - I do not have the option to open any of my previous or existing campaigns. The individual mailings do not appear on the menu. Here is a screenshot of the Campaign home page.
Photo of THP

THP

• 9 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Oh, and it was a fresh download. Thanks!
Photo of Katie Watts

Katie Watts, Support Team Manager

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes

Good morning, THP.

Thanks for sending along this information -- it's exactly what we were looking for! I've heard from our development team that the issue you're encountering in your Firefox screenshot likely isn't related to the campaign editing issue you ran in to in Chrome. Just to be sure I'm fully understanding, with the issue in Chrome, you could see the list of mailings but when you clicked to open one, the editor page didn't load as it should, correct? In Firefox, I know the items in the Campaigns grid aren't loading. Are the grids on the Audience and Response pages also not loading?

I also wanted to check in specifically on your javascript settings. I know it was discussed earlier in this Community thread with other users, but I don't believe we've chatted on it with you yet. When you're accessing Emma using Firefox, can you please confirm that javascript is enabled and up to date? For me, I can toggle my javascript settings in Firefox under the tools menu, but I have a web developer extension installed in my browser, so I'm not sure if it'd be in exactly the same place for you.

Finally, can you please send along another screenshot of the Firebug portal while you're in Firefox, but send a view of the "console" tab rather than the "html" tab? We'd love to have a view of the data on the tab setup like this:

We're still doing our best to get to the bottom of what should be toggled on the new Lenovos to allow the pages to fully and correctly load, and I appreciate all of the data you've sent our way to assist on this!

Big thanks,
Katie

Photo of Katie Watts

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
One other thing we'd like to check that I omitted from my original reply, THP!

Lenovo has its own security settings, outside of other security/filtering programs you may have on your computer. Can you please try disabling the Lenovo security suite and attempting to access Emma within Firefox once that's been done? I'm not positive if this information will match the version you're using, but I found this article which gives guidance on disabling the Lenovo client security.

Will watch for your reply on whether or not you have success with this test too!
Photo of THP

THP

• 9 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Thanks for getting back, Katie. That is correct - In Chrome I could see the grid, but the editor would not load properly when I clicked on a mailing. Javascript is enabled in Chrome. I seem to be using version 1.7. I have attached the image in with firebug on the console tab.

In Firefox the links to the mailings do not appear in the menu, nor does the grid appear in the audience and response tabs. I could not find the javascript settings in my Firefox. I went this site: http://www.javatester.org/javascript.... which indicated that javascript is enabled and that I'm using version 1.5. Sounds like I should update that. Also attached to this post is the console tab in Firefox.

I've scoured my computer, down to the control panel level, and I don't see ThinkVantage (what the link you sent suggests would be the name of the security suite. There is a "Lenovo Browser Guard" and "Maxthon Cloud Browser." Could either of these be the issue?
Photo of Katie Watts

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Thanks for the super detailed information, THP!

I'm going to route this data back through our dev gurus to see if it gives any clue to what might need to be toggled on your Lenovo system. I'll be in touch on this thread as soon as I know more.

You rock!!
Photo of THP

THP

• 9 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Hi Katie,

Any word from your team?? We are a very small organization and this is causing serious issues.

Appreciate any help you can give.

Peace,

THP
Photo of Katie Watts

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Hi there, THP.

I've got an update for you as of this morning, so your follow-up was perfectly timed! We sent one of our dev gurus out to Best Buy to test this on a demo Lenovo machine since we don't have access to any Lenovo brand computers here at Emma Headquarters. He was able to replicate the trouble from the demo Lenovo, but giving the limitations of what we can do troubleshooting-wise on a demo machine at a retail store, we haven't pinpointed the exact cause of the issue.

The great news is that after replicating on the demo machine, we have some additional questions that may help get to the bottom of it! Please let me know on this thread what apps you have running on your computer. Also, do you have a browser toolbar running or other plug-ins within your browser?

Another avenue that we'd like to explore is that it could possibly be related to this article that our systems teams dug up. That link doesn't allow you to read the complete context without a subscription to their service, so I've included links for screenshots of the full question and answer. If you have access to IT folks, they may be able to take some cues from that question/answer to toggle your installed apps/software to fully allow the javascript to process.

I'll watch for your reply here. Appreciate all your patience and assistance in getting to the bottom of the Lenovo setting causing the havoc! If you have mailings to create and send in the mean time, we don't anticipate that you'd run into this trouble working within your Emma account on any non-Lenovo machine.

Best,
Katie
Photo of linkus

linkus

• 5 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
any new developments on this problem. I have exactly the same issue with my new Lenovo. I have uninstalled as may lenovo apps as i dare but sadly i am still having the same problem. 
Photo of THP

THP

• 9 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Success!!! I finally handed it over to an IT-savvy friend who uninstalled almost all the Lenovo PROGRAMS as well as the APPLICATIONS. I'm afraid he wasn't able to check along the way, so I can't say which one finally did the trick.

Thanks so much, Emma support!!
Photo of THP

THP

• 9 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I can say that it wasn't the Lenovo Browser Guard or the Maxthon. Or at least not just those programs. I uninstalled those and continued to have issues. I suspect it was actually one of the APPLICATIONS.
Photo of linkus

linkus

• 5 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hi THP, great to hear you have solved the problem. I know it is asking a lot but is there any chance you could post a screen shot of your apps page so i can check what i still have running that is still causing me the problem. Sadly i dont have a IT Buddy. Many thanks. 
Photo of THP

THP

• 9 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Sure thing. The attached shows the remaining applications on my computer that were installed before my purchase date.
Photo of linkus

linkus

• 5 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
THP -- thank you so very much. Wow you really trimmed things back. Is that all you have running?? 
Photo of THP

THP

• 9 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Ha - no I added Chrome, skype, dropbox, etc after I purchased it. They are visible when I swipe over. This is just what's left of what was pre-installed (they are sorted by date of install).
Photo of linkus

linkus

• 5 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
You know in the world of what goes around comes around you have a truck load of good coming your way. Thank you so much.
Photo of Katie Watts

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Happy Thursday, THP!

Thank you so much for circling back with this fantastic news! Appreciate all of your patience and assistance in helping us get to the bottom of the Lenovo trouble some customers were reporting. I'm hopeful that the information you've provided helps the other Emma users who've weighed in on this thread get rolling smoothly with Emma on their Lenovo systems.

For users reading this also experiencing the issue, please share the above information in THP's latest two updates with your IT folks, to help guide their troubleshooting on your system! If any of our users are able to pin down exactly which program/application is blocking the page within Emma from fully loading on the newer Lenovo systems, we'd love for you to chime in on this thread. We'd love to gang up on this one alongside you guys!

Again, big thanks, THP. You rock!
Photo of Caroline Lyle

Caroline Lyle

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am on an Lenovo Y40 - also new.  I have tried every single thing everyone above has done -no result.  Different browsers, Firefox with Firebug plugin, clearing cache, etc.   Nothing.  Still having to use someone else's computer to do this and cannot keep doing so.  Not getting rid of my brand new computer!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Caroline! Thanks for hanging in here with us as we worked to investigate this issue!

We've been able to determine that there is something about the new Lenovo system that blocks some web pages from fully loading. There is nothing about the Emma application that's causing the problem. 

As you can see above in this thread, we were able to resolve the issue with THP by removing most of the programs and applications that came pre-installed on the Lenovo device. Do you have an IT person that can help to uninstall those programs?

We might be able to help narrow it down if you can upload a screenshot here of any applications that are on your Lenovo that were there when you purchased it!
Photo of Caroline Lyle

Caroline Lyle

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I do not have an IT person. I
Photo of linkus

linkus

• 5 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Ok I think i have cracked it. Remove the superfish visual discovery app. You will need to go to the control panel as it does not show up on the apps page. Yipppeeeeee! after 5 days of trying and great help from THP I am on my way. good luck. Death to all bloatware!!!!
Photo of Team RWB

Team RWB

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I was having the same problem on a Lenovo Yoga 2, and just removed the superfish app in Control Panel. The editor is working fine now. Thanks THP an Linkus!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Official Response
I came across a great article that not only gives some background on the Superfish software but also has a super valuable section on how to remove that software from your Lenovo. Wanted to share that on this thread in case anyone needs some further guidance!
Photo of Caroline Lyle

Caroline Lyle

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

I have removed Superfish, Virtual Discovery and double-checked that they are gone.  When pulling up a template, I still get the html version - not the visual version.  The problem is - I manage email for 4 different companies and Lenovo is my new computer.  After exhausting these options - what other options are there????

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Caroline! By HTML view, do you mean you're seeing something like what NY155 - Cicero North Syracuse posted at the very top of this thread? Can you include a screenshot here of what you see when you open your mailing?

To circle back to what you've already tried, have you cleared your browser's cache and cookies and restarted the browser *since* you deleted those apps from your Lenovo? I'd also love to know what browser and version you're using. You can find that information by visiting supportdetails.com in your browser.
Photo of Katie Watts

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Official Response
Lenovo has published some detailed information on the Superfish vulnerability, and they're recommending that all of their impacted customers follow their instructions to remove SuperFish and related files from their PCs. The documentation put out by Lenovo on this states that "published reports have recently identified vulnerabilities in the software, which include installation of a self-signed root certificate in the local trusted CA store."

For a summary on the issue, a list of affected Lenovo products and instructions to completely remove the SuperFish software, please check out this Lenovo security advisory.