Cannot save as template

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: bug resolved

Cannot save an email as an email template. This happened last week too, I assumed it was a short-term glitch but it persists today. "We'll reload the page with your saved template and content. INTERNAL SERVER ERROR". Am using Chrome v. 40.0.2214.111 m
Photo of CAEP

CAEP

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Wellmont

Wellmont

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, CAEP, I can't help. I'm having the same problem, though, and wanted to join the discussion to see what response/s you receive.

(Using Firefox 35.0.1)
(Edited)
Photo of Benton Cummings

Benton Cummings, Senior Manager, Customer Support

• 491 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Hey there,

I'm so sorry to hear of the issue. Please let me know the name of mailing you are attempting to save as a template, and I'll jump into your account to take a look and let you know what we find out!
Photo of CAEP

CAEP

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
The copy I'd like saved as 'newsletter template' is labeled "CAEP Updates_Jan15 - COPY 2015-02-11 10:54 AM"

While I have you here, I've also run into a pretty major problem with Emma this week and last. I'm in Emma working in the editor, the top of the screen actively says "saving" or "saved" but when I return, my work has not been saved. Last week this cost me about 6 hours of work (since it happened 3 times). Today, it cost me another 30 minutes of work. Today's experience was different as well - my browser (Chrome) said that the screen timed out so it would bring me back to the login screen. I CANNOT have this continue to happen...it's too frustrating and time consuming, and after redoing the same work over and over I know mistakes are happening.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi CAEP -- Emily here, stepping in for Benton while he's out of the office.

It looks like the error you're getting when attempting to save that mailing as a template is related to a known bug in the application. You can read more about that bug over here and click to follow along for updates. Basically, it boils down to formatted text in a hard-coded text block, like this one:

To work around this bug, you could delete the text in that hard-coded text block and drag in one from the drag and drop content blocks instead! You should then be able to save this as a template.

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been losing work as well! Let's get some more details here so we can dig in. 
  • Do you always use Chrome, and if not, have you seen this issue in other browsers as well?
  • What version of Chrome are you using?
  • Have you cleared cache & cookies in Chrome recenlty?
Thanks in advance!
Photo of CAEP

CAEP

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
always using Chrome v. 40.0.2214.111 m

have not cleared cache/cookies

I'll try to create a template the way you described.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Thanks for following up here! If you could try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, then completely shutting down your browser and starting a new session before you log in again, I think it could resolve a lot of these issues. You'd be surprised how bogged down your broswer can get. 

If you still have issues saving your work after that, please let me know here!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi again -- Just making sure you saw my update over here that this save as template bug is fixed!
Photo of Damian Gatta

Damian Gatta, Official Rep

• 342 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Hey Wellmont, 

I just responded to your email regarding your save as template.  You can reply to that email and I will be happy to jump in and take a look.
Photo of United Way of the Capital Region

United Way of the Capital Region

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having the same problem as this person. I have tried doing the suggestions above (clearing cookies/cache, closing and reopening browser) and I still get the same "Internal Server Error" issue. I am on Google Chrome Version 40.0.2214.111 m. Did you come up with a solution for the issue? Please advise.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- Just to make sure I'm tracking with you here, are you getting that error when trying to save a template or is the content in your mailing not saving (as CAEP mentioned above). Let me know what mailing you're working in as well, and I"ll take a look!

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I cannot save the template itself.

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The mailing I was trying to save as a template is called Birthday Card. While we do have a birthday card template. i wanted to create a new one because the old one has some issues (namely, for some reason the old template now shows two image boxes instead of just one in the preview and when you send it. However, in the editor itself, you only see one image).

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Thanks for that additional information! From what I can tell, you should be able to save that Postcard template if you delete the text in this box or simply leave it unformatted:

BUT I'm not able to get it to save. I'll take a closer look at the template code and escalate this to our tier two team if needed!

I did take a look at your Happy Birthday from United Way email (using your existing Birthday Card template). I'm seeing the same number of image blocks in the editor, preview mode and in my inbox. Could you include some screenshots here of where you're seeing those discrepancies? Thanks!

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Here is what it looks like in the preview mode on my screen/browser. Note the two image blocks when there should only be one.

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Here is what it looks like when I send myself a test email. Note there are now THREE image blocks. (?!)

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Alrighty -- I found a few things in the template code related to your custom share tag that I was able to fix. You should now be able to save this mailing as a template! Let me know if you run into any more issues there.

Let me do some more testing on that mystery image block that seems to be popping up. I'll let you know what I find!

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just tried saving it as a template and I am still getting the "internal server" error. I even created a brand new mailing starting with the "postcard" template as a starting point. Dropped in all new text and image and same error. 

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hmm... something else might be in play here. I'll keep digging in on that!

I believe you're running into a known bug in the application with your Birthday Card template. This bug is duplicating content in a sidebar of a template created using "save as template." We're working to resolve this bug, and I apologize for the inconvenience you're facing with these issues that seem to be piling up. 

With this bug in play, you will see that sidebar content duplicated in both Preview and the inbox. However, if you review and send your email, return to the editor, delete the duplicated content, then review and send again, the thumbnail still shows the duplicated content, but the inbox does not. 

I know this isn't an ideal workflow, but it serves as a good workaround while we continue our work to resolve this bug!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi United Way -- I wanted to let you know that this bug causing content to duplicate in the side bar of your save as template is fixed. Thanks for your patience!
Photo of Athlon Sports

Athlon Sports

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have used both Chrome and Safari and have been unsuccessful in being able to save an email as a template in order to use it across multiple accounts. This has been happen for a couple of days now. Can someone manually save that email as a template for me? This is a very time sensitive email blast that I need to get working on as soon as I can. I would like "BK15- Email Invite Template" saved for me to be able to use across any of our accounts. Can someone help please?

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Athlon -- Can you point me to the sub account that you're working in so I can take a look at that email you're trying to save as a template? 

It's also important to note here that emails can't be shared between sub accounts, even if they are saved as a template. Only templates created at the agency level in Assets can be shared across accounts.