Internal server error using Save as Template with formatted hard-coded text box

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

I cannot save my email as a template. Says internal server error. Does not work in Safari 7.1.3 and Firefox 35.0.1.
Photo of Yvonne Stepanow

Yvonne Stepanow

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Yvonne -- I think I know what might be causing this problem, but I'll need to hop into your account to confirm.
Will you please let me know the name of the account in which you're working? (The account name appears on your Emma invoices. That should be enough for me to jump in and check it out; no need to give the account ID.)

I'll also need to know which template you're using. Thanks!
Photo of Sedona Conscious Magazine

Sedona Conscious Magazine

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Emily,

1. I am setting this up for a client of mine, so I do not have the bill. Can I see the account name somewhere else?
2. I did not use any template. I created an e-mail which I want to save as a template, so we can reuse it every week as a template. I just can't save it "as template".

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Yvonne -- I can see now that you're posting from Sedona Conscious Magazine! I couldn't find an account linked to your email address before, but having your Emma account opened in a tab in the same browser is a great way to use Emma Community! It will automatically bring over your account details (privately, of course) when you participates that way.

Any time you're building a mailing in our drag & drop editor, you're using some kind of template as a starting point. It looks like you're using the Blank with an Editable Header template from our gallery. You can see that template name right below the name of the mailing you're working in:

What you're running into here is a bug we just recently discovered in the application. This bug causes an internal server error when trying to use the "save as template" function on any template that has formatted text in a hard-coded text block. There happens to be a hard-coded text block at the very bottom of the template you're using, so when you formatted the text you added to that block, this bug came into play:

We're working to resolve this bug and will post an update on this conversation when the bug is resolved. You can click to *follow* that conversation, which will alert you when we reply there!

Thanks for your patience as we work to resolve this issue. If you need to save that mailing as a template, you could switch to a template that doesn't have a hard-coded text block. You can alway drag extra text blocks in as needed from the drag & drop content blocks along the left-hand side of the editor!
(Edited)

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Whoops -- it looks like that conversation I linked to is private, so you won't be able to see it. :)

I'll be sure to upate you here as we make progress on resolving this bug!

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is the hard-coded text block the footer? Or what does hard coded mean? It seems I cannot delete the footer anymore. Can you suggest what template I should chose. I do not want to chose another one with the same problem

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
You're right, a hard-coded content block is one that you cannot delete (because it's not included in the flexible area of the template where you can move and delete content blocks). It's just a feature of some templates. In this case, it's that grey box right before the footer (where your address and the Emma logo are).

You can choose any template from the gallery that doesn't already have a text box with pre-populated text (like "footer text here" or "contact information here").

Like the Fenster:

Keep in mind that most templates are customizable using the editor. You can easily swap out your template by clicking the "show templates" link under your mailing name: 

We understand this is an inconvenience, and we're working to get it resolved quickly! Let me know if you have any other questions!

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have been able to save it as a template. Now how do I use this template for my email campaigns? I clicked "Create new e-mail", but nothing seems to happen. I waited for about 7 minutes. ( see screenshot) I would like to use the same template for a weekly  email. So I was hoping to just exchange the ads. 
Photo of Yvonne Stepanow

Yvonne Stepanow

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have been able to save it as a template. Now how do I use this template for my email campaigns? I clicked "Create new e-mail", but nothing seems to happen. I waited for about 7 minutes. ( see screenshot) I would like to use the same template for a weekly  email. So I was hoping to just exchange the ads.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Yvonne! I took a look at your template and found a little bit of code that had gotten wonky during the save as template. I've fixed that now and was able to open your mailing using the "template final" you created.

Please give that a try and let me know if you have any more trouble. Thanks!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Yvonne! I took a look at your template and found a little bit of code that had gotten wonky during the save as template. I've fixed that now and was able to open your mailing using the "template final" you created.

Please give that a try and let me know if you have any more trouble. Thanks!
We have been having this same issue in our account. I created a couple of templates, but whenever someone tried to use them, they would run into this delay when creating a new email. It will create a new Untitled Mailing, but you can never open it up to edit it. 

I thought the problem was the templates, so I deleted them and planned to create new ones. Now, I can't save anything as a template. It throws an Internal Server Error every time I try.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- Can you point me to the mailings that you're trying to save as a template? If there is a hardcoded text box in the template you're using, you may be running into this bug as well. 

You can work around the bug by not adding any text to that hardcoded block and dragging in a new text block instead. Let me know if I can help or take a look at those templates to help isolate the issue!
I don't think we have anything hardcoded in. We're just using the Text blocks built into Emma. The two mailings I'm trying to save as Templates are actually labelled as such. "Official UMKC template" and "Chancellor eblast template"

It looks like the first one actually saved as a template despite the Internal Error, but it's still doing the thing where it hangs forever when you try to create a new mailing using that template.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
I'm sorry I didn't explain that very well... :)

A hard coded text block in any template will look like this:

I pulled that screenshot from your "Chancellor eblast template" mailing (deleted your address and phone number so as not to share them here). You can see that this text block doesn't have the 4-way arrow that the other drag & drop content blocks have, meaning you can't move it around within your mailing layout. Your "Official UMKC Template" mailing was also built using a template with a hard-coded text block.

I do see that your "Official UMKC Template" mailing successfully saved as a template. This bug should only come into play if your *format* the text in one of the hard-coded text blocks, which it doesn't look like you did here.

I tweaked a couple of things in that template code - you should be able to create a mailing with that template now!
Thanks! It looks like it's working. I'm not sure how that got hard coded, but it sounds like it might be because we didn't start from a blank template. It's a weird glitch, but at least we've gotten to the bottom of it. 

Thanks for your help!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Glad we got it working!
We've been following all your recommendations, but this has happened again. I don't know how because we were careful not to use any hard coded blocks, but now it appears the last text box in the email has become hard coded because we can't delete it and we can't save as a template. Can you help?! Or do we have to recreate this email from scratch?

The email we're trying to use as a template is called UMATTERS FINAL TEMPLATE

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi! I opened your UMATTERS template code and tweaked a couple of things. You should now be able to open and use that template!
Photo of Lighthouse Writers

Lighthouse Writers

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi there! It looks like we're having this trouble as well. I'm trying to modify the pre-made Toronto template for my organization, but each time I try to save it as a new template I get the "Internal Server Error" message. I assume this is because the bug with the hard coding is still in play, correct? Or am I doing something to goof things up? Thanks in advance for your help!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there! This bug is definitely still in play here, but you can avoid it by leaving the text in the hard-coded block unformatted. I opened a new version of the Toronto template and was able to save it as a template after editing (but not formatting) that text.

Let me know if that doesn't work for you!

Lighthouse Writers

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for giving it a try! So just to be clear, there's no way to save a template with content already included, such as the organization's logo, phone number, etc? I have to input and format that information every time we create a new mailing? That's mostly what I'm trying to avoid.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Correct -- With this bug in play, you can add text to the hard-coded blocks but won't be able to save the template if you format that text. I suggest adding the text and making all other edits as needed and then saving the template. Then all you'll need to do when you open a new mailing with that template is *format* the text that is now populated by default in those hard-coded blocks. 

Then when the bug is resolved, you can save a version with formatting in those blocks. :)

Lighthouse Writers

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Oh right, duh! I see what you're saying. Yes, that will have to work for now. Let us know when the bug is taken care of! Thanks so much!
Photo of Greenspring Media

Greenspring Media

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi, this is also happening to me. I try to use an existing template and re-save it with updates. I think because I have the formatted footer at the bottom, it is causing the system to say, "Internal Server Error," when I try saving it. Please let me know when this has been fixed!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Greenspring! Yes, you're right, this formatted footer will not allow you to save this email as a template while this bug is in play:

We'll reach out here to let you know when it is resolved!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi friends -- I'm happy to report that this bug is resolved!

Thanks for hanging in here with us as we worked to fix this issue. You should now be able to save those mailings you've been working in as templates *with* formatted text in the hard-coded text blocks!

Let me know if you have any questions.