Can't log into account

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

Hi - for some reason, we are having issues logging into our agency account. It's giving me a "webpage is not available" page once I put in our login info. Any way to remedy this? We need to send a time-sensitive campaign out today.
Photo of Hands On Call

Hands On Call

  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • unsure

Posted 5 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

  • 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Hi and thanks for reaching out.

I am sorry to report that the Emma application is unavailable at the moment. Our development team is aware of this issue and is working to resolve it as quickly as possible. We will post an update here as soon as we have more details or can provide an estimated time to resolution.
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

  • 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Emma is back up and running as expected. Our developers are continuing to review the cause of today's outage in order to take appropriate preventative measures moving forward. We are sorry for any delay this may have caused in your work day or marketing goals. We do not take these events lightly as we know they can have significant impacts on our users.
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

  • 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
I received additional information from our development team concerning today’s outage and wanted to share those details with our users.

At approximately 3:55pm CST there was a significant increase in connections to one of several Emma databases. This increase in connections quickly caused all available connections to be in use. In layman’s terms this basically means that information stored, used and updated on the Emma system could not be accessed because there were no available connections to the database. This didn’t result in and data loss but simply caused a bottleneck in process which eventually caused Emma to be unavailable to our users.

At 4:00pm CST we received our first report that the Emma application was completely unavailable with users receiving 500 errors and “page unavailable” responses.

Between 4:10pm and 4:33pm CST we made several attempts to bring Emma back online by restarting the Emma API, which is how information is passed in and out of the Emma databases. Each attempt did result in several minutes of uptime but would quickly result in another bit of downtime for Emma.

From 4:33pm to 4:40pm CST our team continued to observe the activity on the affected database with the goal of identifying the root cause of the downtime. What we learned is that the connections to our system were waiting for a specific database query to complete. Our team was able to clear that specific task from the queue which then allowed all other connections to be completed appropriately and for Emma to be brought back online.

At this time we are continuing to closely monitor the Emma database for any similar instances and exploring the options available to us for corrective and preventative measures.

IMPACT TO EMMA USERS:
Along with the inability to access Emma there was one other byproduct that I want to make users aware of here. During the times when Emma was unavailable, those people who clicked a link in a mailing sent through Emma may have received an error message rather than being taken to the appropriate web page. The function that counts those clicks and presents them to our users response page was still working correctly. This means there was no loss in response data but there may have been a less than stellar experience for some of your readers between 4:00pm and 4:40pm CST on July 31. 

Please do post any questions you may have below. I will be happy to assist in any way that I can.