How do I enter a custom color code for my text?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I am trying to change the background color of the footer and some of the text in my email. I used the template - "blank with an editable..." I can change the colors but it only shows me the swatches, not RGB or hex options, where I can enter my own color code. It looks like this should be an option based on a tutorial I saw.
Photo of Internews Network

Internews Network

• 59 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi! I jumped into your mailing called "Test Responsive template,” highlighted text and clicked the font color button in the toolbar. This is what appeared:

In the # field, enter the hex value of your color, and click the Apply button that appears:

Let me know if you have any questions!
Photo of Internews Network

Internews Network

• 59 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
For some reason, it's not showing in IE but works in Chrome. Thanks.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Are you in the latest version of IE?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
I want to add that we released an update this morning that did away with the Apply button. Now when you enter your hex value, the text color will change in real time:

Photo of hbfus

hbfus

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi,

I'm trying to change a line of text to a branded color. I highlight the text, click the font color button, and try to enter the RGB value. But when I go to enter the value, the text becomes un-highlighted and remains black. Can you tell me what I'm going wrong?  

Thanks!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hmm, it sounds like you’re taking the right steps. Would you mind watching this screencast I made to see if you’re following the same process as I am? Or are you able to take a screencast of your process?

Also, what’s the RGB value you’re entering?
Photo of hbfus

hbfus

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for your response. I watched the screencast, and that's exactly the process I've been following. It works fine if I select one of the swatches, but as soon I click to enter the RGB value, the text is deselected and I can no longer change the color. That's true of any RGB value I try to enter.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Are you trying to format regular text that doesn’t have any formatting (font family, size or a hyperlink) applied? What’s the RGB value you’re using?
Photo of hbfus

hbfus

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It is regular text, and the RGB value is A8CD6A (R 131, G 184, B42), though I've also tried other values.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Would you mind pointing me to the mailing name and specific text you’re attempting to change? I tried using these values (here’s my screencast) and they work just dandy for me. I’d like to check out what might be different between the text I’m formatting and you’re formatting.
Photo of hbfus

hbfus

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sure thing. The mailing's name is: "Liane: Resource Mobilization Mailing." The text is in the last box at the bottom: "The Heinrich Böll Foundation North America has a NEW WEBSITE. For our Climate Finance publications, visit us at: http://us.boell.org/categories/climate-policy-finance." We had wanted the text to be green on a white background, but since we could only change the background color to the correct RGB value, now the text is white on a green background.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Very strange! I’ve created a copy of your mailing with “Katie’s copy” added to the end of the mailing name to test this. Here’s a screencast showing how I change the background color of that text box to white and then highlight and change the text to green.

I’m not sure why this wasn’t working for you, but I hope this helps!
Photo of hbfus

hbfus

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Great, thanks for changing that Katie! For the future though, it would be useful to be able to take care of this on our end, and we have been following the steps you took in the screencast. Is there anyone to continue this conversation over the phone?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Yep, you should definitely be able to take care of this on your end. :) I didn’t do anything special to get it working, so I’m thinking there could be a setting on your end that’s holding up the process. Have you tried clearing your browser’s cache and cookies, shutting down the browser and restarting it, as well as making sure you’re in the most recent version of your browser? You’re welcome to call us at 800.595.4401, if you’d prefer to speak with the team by phone.
I know this is an old post, but i'm having an issue in IE11 where I don't have option to enter a Hex color into the form. Any tips? RGB and Hex color boxes are not showing up.
Photo of Midwest Bank

Midwest Bank

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

I'm encountering the same issue as Children's Hospitals.  I ended up using Chrome and it is working. 

Also, is there a way to save my colors after I enter the hex code?