Contact Status: Error for delivery

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Not a Problem
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

I just sent out a mailing to about 612 people but 100 of those were contacts are now in the error field. The reason says "delivery" which I'm not sure what this means. I looked over a few of the emails and I did not see any problems with the addresses themselves. Have any insight why this occurred? 

Group: STARS 

Browser: Chrome 39.0.2171.71
Photo of Heidi Rogers

Heidi Rogers

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • awesome.

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Heidi -- Great question. Any time an address bounces, we have the ability to look up the reply codes that the receiving server sends back to us when it decided not to accept the mailing. I took a look at the reply codes for your December 5th mailing, and it looks like 90% of those are due to the addresses no longer being valid or not existing, making them undeliverable. 

I see that a lot of the addresses that bounced have internal domain names. We see this a lot because of personnel changes at those companies. The address becomes invalid as soon as that person moves on. I don't see any reply codes in the list that would indicate strange delivery behavior!

I hope this helps.
Photo of CPP Global

CPP Global

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hello, Emily.  I just sent my first email and had about 18 Errors.  The above "Delivery" explains some of them -- thanks! 
What does the Reason called "Format" mean?  The email addresses look like they are in a valid format......
Thanks!
Beth
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi CPP -- The "format" reason for error status means that Emma doesn't recognize that contact's address to be formatted as a valid email address. You may want to check those addresses for extra spaces at the end, as that is a common reason for the formatting error. You can look for those by opening the contact record and clicking into the email field. If a space exists, you'll see it there!
Photo of CPP Global

CPP Global

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
That was it!  Thanks, Emily!

Beth