Copying a campaign from within the Campaign editor does not copy over the Google Analytics code

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Not Planned
  • (Edited)
There are currently two ways to copy (or clone) an existing campaign: one can copy it from the Campaign listing, or from within the edit view of a single campaign.

Copying it from the Campaign listing does also copy over the saved Google Analytics code, but copying the campaign from the editor view does not copy over the GA code.

Edit:I should clarify that the expected or desired behaviour is that the GA code is copied over. This has forced me to copy campaigns from the Campaign listing view instead of from the editor view.
Photo of Joel Pan

Joel Pan

• 29 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Damian Gatta

Damian Gatta, Official Rep

• 342 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Hi Joel!

I would like to get a better understanding of where you are making the copy of the campaign from within the Drag and Drop Editor.  Are you clicking on the Review and Send page and entering in the Google Analytics information and then clicking the arrow next to the save button to save a copy?  

I would like to do some testing but I want to make sure I following the same steps you are when you make a copy from the editor.  I'll be on the lookout for your reply!
Photo of Joel Pan

Joel Pan

• 29 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Damian:

This method correctly copies over the GA code (Campaign Listing view):

This method does not (Campaign editor view):
Photo of Loh

Loh

• 28 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I am experiencing the same problem, in that the Campaign Listing view copies over the from email and from name of the base campaign: behavior I want.  The Campaign editor view reverts from email and from name to the defaults, not copying them over:  behavior I don't want.  I caught it in time, but it would have been messy if I hadn't noticed it.   Copy isn't copy, it's mostly copy...
(Edited)
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Thanks Loh, I've got you added into the list for this request!  

It is currently not slated to be added, but I'll keep you posted as I hear anything from the Developers! 

Cheers!

- G
Photo of Damian Gatta

• 342 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Thanks for providing those details Joel!  I am digging in to see if this is expected behavior, a bug in the app, or if I need to log a feature request.  I will be sure to update here once I have more information!
Photo of Damian Gatta

• 342 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Hi Joel!

The copy mechanisms  are separate features, and although it does make sense that they would perform the same way, that's just not how the individual tools are built currently.  I have gone ahead and submitted a feature request tied to your account to let our development folks know that you would like these to be uniform in performance.  

Thank you again for providing your feedback on this.  We definitely appreciate it!
Photo of Joel Pan

Joel Pan

• 29 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm curious, then: what are the intended differences between the two?
Photo of Damian Gatta

• 342 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Hi Joel, 

There isn't necessarily an intended difference between the two, just that they were built separately resulting in different functionality.  I did go ahead and submit this to the correct folks here to see what the plans might be for making both of these features act the same.  We will update  you here.

Thanks again for your feedback! 
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Joel! I'm stepping in for Damian. I spoke with our Product Team, and this isn't planned for the current round of work we're looking at with the editor. I'll keep you posted as that changes!