Create an Emma Audience Member, from within SFDC, by assigning to an Emma Group?

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Conversation moved to email

Or Do I need to recreate the SFDC Contact as an Audience Member, from within Emma, first?

I figured its the later but just wanted to verify. Thanks! 
Photo of Videology

Videology

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Good morning! You can create the audience member (contact) within SF and assign them to your desired Emma group. That should do the trick, but please let me know if I can assist further.
Photo of Videology

Videology

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hey Tyler, We are still seeing some unexpected behavior (see comments below)..perhaps we could sync up, or I could send screenshots you way?
Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Good morning! Those steps should indeed work and no need to click that refresh member group button since that info should automatically sync up. Can you please grant us access to your Salesforce account and we can then do some digging to see why that information is not transferring over to your Emma account. Please just give me a shout once you've completed the steps below. Also that refresh button in Salesforce is an SF component and doesn't really do anything. As I mentioned above that info should just sync without having to click any button. So it is really just for show :-) We do not currently have a way to remove this button. 
  • Click into the Setup sub-menu from your personal dropdown menu at the top-right corner of your screen.
  • In the menu to the left of your screen, click My Personal Information > Grant Login Access.
  • Select "1 week" (or whatever period of time you're comfortable with) next to "Emma Support," and press "Save."
(Edited)
Photo of Videology

Videology

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm kind of paranoid about doing that to outside resources (no offense). Would you be able to screenshare for 10 mins later this afternoon? Or would it be helpful to me record a 5 min screencast with Jing and send to you? Would you need me to dig into apex logs or just show where I'm having problems
Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Hey there! I reached out to our integrations team here and we would need access to dig in. A screencast/screen-share would only really help us determine if you're taking the right steps of adding the member in Salesforce, which it sounds like you are already taking the right steps. Here is a link with further information on what granting us access entails. Hopefully this helps put your mind at ease, but please just let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Photo of Videology

Videology

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Got it, okay, I've granted 24 access. The Emma Group I am testing with is "MattTestCreateFromSFDC". Only the Lead has been added to the group, from Emma, the 3 contacts have not. Any idea what I am doing wrong here? Note that this is our sandbox we are testing with. Not sure if that matters. Thanks!
Photo of Katie Watts

Katie Watts, Support Team Manager

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Good afternoon, Videology.

I can definitely see what you're describing, and I'd like to get some additional information about your process. When you created the "MattTestCreateFromSFDC" Emma Group in Salesforce, did you manually add those four lead/contacts to the group or did you create a Salesforce Report and send the results to the group? If you added the four leads/contacts from a report, what's the name of the report you used?

I'll watch for your reply and then will dig back in! Please go ahead and extend that granted login access out to a week. It's currently set to expire tomorrow, and if I'm not able to pinpoint the trouble once I have your answers, I'll need to loop in our Salesforce developers for some deeper troubleshooting (which will definitely take longer than tomorrow).

Thanks a bunch, and please let me know if you need further clarification on any of this!
Photo of Videology

Videology

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Mucho Aloha Katie,

I used a report, at first. the id of that report is 00OS00000014hJL  ('Matt Emma Contacts'). When that stalled, I manually added the Lead (initials B.E.), which did work. 

Access granted through the end of this week. 

Side question/tangent -

Ultimate goal is to have simplest path possible for a sales team member to update their emma group membership, within SFDC. So both removing people and/or adding people. So, fewest clicks/page loads, ability to edit en masse (?), etc. my questions are:

a) is there a best practice for doing this, possibly other than using reports, and

b) does the "email opt out" field have any effect, or do you simply reccomend that users leverage that field, and then we filter our reports in sfdc using that field, to make it easier (is that the best path?)

thank you!
Photo of Katie Watts

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Good afternoon!

I took a look at the "Matt Emma Contacts" report in your Salesforce account, and there doesn't seem to be any leads included in that report data. I see just three contacts in those report results, and none of them have the initials B.E. When you say you manually added the B.E. lead to the group, did you do that within Emma or within Salesforce? Was there something else that led you to expect that the B.E. lead would be added to the Emma Group even though it wasn't included in the report data?

As far as the three contacts that are a part of the Emma Group in Salesforce but not reflected in the audience group within your Emma account, I'd like to do some testing to see if I can replicate that trouble -- and if I can replicate, I may be able to locate some entries in your apex logs that lead me to pinning down the trouble.

For data security purposes, the granted login access doesn't give me export permissions, which means I'm not able to actually send the report data to an Emma Group to test it on my end. I know your Salesforce username, but can you please save a document in your Emma document library that contains your Salesforce password? That will allow me to actually login to Salesforce as YOU, rather than being in there in the restricted granted access, and I'll be able to setup some tests to further troubleshoot the issue. Please give me a shout on this thread once that document has been saved within your Emma document library.

Now on to the side questions. As far as adding multiple people to a group, the process of adding the data from a report to an Emma Group in Salesforce is the most streamlined method for doing that. This link outlines the process of adding report data to a new or existing Emma Group within Salesforce, and it's a super simple process with just a few clicks! If you want to exclude a set of multiple leads or contacts from an existing Emma Group, the easiest way to get the segment you'd like to send to is just to create a new Emma Group that only contains the folks you want to email.

If you're looking to add or remove an individual to/from an Emma Group, the most streamlined option to make that change is from within that particular lead or contact record. From within a lead or contact record, within the "Emma Groups" box, you can click "Del" beside any listed group to remove that lead/contact from that particular Emma Group. If you want to add a particular lead/contact to an Emma Group, from within the lead/contact record, just click the "new Emma Group membership" button at the top of the Emma Groups box, and you can add the group in to the Emma Group field on the next screen and save to get that lead/contact added.

The "email opt out" field is one that should be synced to Emma to reflect in Salesforce those leads/contacts that have been opted out within your Emma account. No real need to do any filtering based on that field since Emma automatically doesn't send an email to the folks who aren't in active status in the account, even if you send to an audience group that includes that member.

Hope this helps clear some of it up! I'll watch for your post here letting me know when that document is saved in your Emma document library, and then I'll dig in on troubleshooting why the report data didn't sync over correctly from the start. If any additional Emma for Salesforce questions come up, you know where to find me!

Thanks a ton,
Katie
Photo of Videology

Videology

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Katie! Happy Friday!

Any chance we could catch up on Skype IM, or other IM, today, about the above? Please let me know!

I'm on skype:  m(dot)walsh00 

the (dot) is really a period. Sneaky!
Photo of Katie Watts

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Happy Monday, Videology!

We don't offer IM support, but I'm happy to catch up by email or to schedule a phone call on this. I'm going to email you offline, and we can go from there!
Photo of Videology

Videology

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Cool sounds good! You can reach me by taking my skype handle, sans the "." and the two zero's, at Videologygroup.com 
Photo of Katie Watts

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Gotcha! I emailed yesterday at that marketing@ email we had on file, so I'll forward along that message to your email directly.

Thanks!
Photo of Girls Leadership Institute

Girls Leadership Institute

• 36 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Tyler, I added someone in SF and then added them to an Emma group and it did not create an Audience member in Emma. Am I missing a step?
Photo of Videology

Videology

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This was my experience as well. I created a new contact, added them to the emma member group in SFDC, and hit "refresh member group". However, looking at the respective group in Emma, that new contact is not a group member.  (side question, what does that "refresh group members" button do?). 
Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Hey Girls Leadership! Can you please give us access to your Salesforce account as well? Here are those same steps and please just let me know once you've completed. We'll then jump in to do some research. Thanks!
  • Click into the Setup sub-menu from your personal dropdown menu at the top-right corner of your screen.
  • In the menu to the left of your screen, click My Personal Information > Grant Login Access.
  • Select "1 week" (or whatever period of time you're comfortable with) next to "Emma Support," and press "Save."

• 36 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Tyler, Access granted. 
Thanks!
Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Great, thank you! I've sent a note over to our integrations team and we'll be in touch soon!
Photo of Katie Watts

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Happy Monday, Girls Leadership!

I'm doing some digging on the syncing trouble. To be sure I'm pointed the correct direction, can you please tell me which lead/contact you added in Salesforce and also which Emma Group you added that new lead/contact to?

Thanks a ton!
Katie

• 36 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Katie, 

I just realized that the person I added to a group made it to Emma. I think it took about an hour plus. Is this time frame always expected when a Contact is added in SF? I guess I need to provide enough time for the sync to occur before sending any communications?

Thanks,
Samantha
Photo of Katie Watts

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Hi there, Samantha!

Since you're using the webhooks syncing option (which offers the fastest available connection between Emma and Salesforce), I don't expect that the majority of your syncing will take that long. Oftentimes with webhooks syncing, the update in one application will be reflected in the other within a few minutes. But depending on system load, connection and several other varying factors, it's totally possible that syncing may take longer at times like you saw here.

So glad to hear that contact did sync over! If you run into further trouble with the integration, please give me a shout. Always happy to help!

Thanks a bunch,
Katie

• 36 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Katie,
I must say, it's a bit odd that it took over an hour and I only added 1 contact into an Emma Group in Salesforce. It makes me question who has been synced in both applications and when that is exactly supposed to happen.... If it's an error or if its still syncing. And when you say "connection" what does that exactly mean? Does "system load" mean the number of contacts I'm loading at a time? 

If you could shed some light, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Samantha 
Photo of Katie Watts

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Good question, Samantha!

Emma’s webhooks should fire virtually instantaneously whenever a webhooks event (ex. email open, contact update, etc.) is made, and those webhooks appear to be working normally. Our integration listens for those webhooks and makes changes appropriately, but it’s "listening" within the context of Salesforce's available bandwidth to receive and act on updates. That bandwidth can fluctuate based on a variety of factors, especially overall activity in their systems. Salesforce system activity and performance fluctuates so widely that their status page is dedicated to helping customers understand where and when noteworthy performance degradations have occurred. However, even those alerts are generally indicators of outliers -- some degree of fluctuation is expected even in the normal range.

Hope this helps clear things up! If I can provide any further clarification, please let me know. And, of course, happy Friday!