Customizing the opt out section

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: resolved

We use Emma to distribute information to our employees and students. We own their accounts and computers. We've argued with Emma previously on this issue and we were able to remove the Opt Out notice from our emails, however, some users have figured out how to opt out anyway.

Now that issue is coming back to haunt us. We've had complaints that users didn't get an important message from our HR department, or from our President. Research found that the user(s) opted out from another message we sent from a different department.

People do not understand that if they Opt Out of ANY message sent using our Emma account, they will receive NOTHING, including critically important information that may have dire consequences if not received. We have roughly 50,000 people on several different campuses, healthcare facilities and satellite locations, and our method of communication has to be email. We do not allow departments to have access to the email lists (which can change several times a day). They have to use us, and we are using Emma to replace our featureless old homegrown system.

We are considering adding a disclaimer at the bottom of our templates that warn people of this problem and include alternative methods of hiding the content they don't want, but we may want to use a portion of the content in the [% management %] tag. Is there a way to modify that tag, including font, color, size, placement, text and links? The marketing people are quite finicky about the look and feel of everything, so we need to be able to fully customize everything to please them.

Also, is there a way of warning users who request Opt Out that this will stop ALL institutional emails from ALL Departments and ALL topics?

Also, I can not Sign In to the community with the Emma Option! It opens another screen to my account homepage, but never reports back to the login prompt that I have logged in. When I click on Sign Up, it just refreshes and asks me to sign in. I tried the Facebook option and got server error from getsatisfaction. I tried to attach the screenshot and got an Internal Server Error........
Photo of Melissa Bishop

Melissa Bishop

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

• 28 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yikes....we just started doing what you are already doing. I was able to remove the optout in a special sub-account and Emma will allow the message to be distributed. I entirely removed the managment area. However, Students do receive other emails from other departments that include the Opt OUT at the bottom. We have noticed that some staff/faculty/students ARE NOT recieving emma internal emails. So, from your note, it makes sense that some of these folks have 'opted out' from an emma email from another department and now, it affects OUR internal emails....I am interested in following this post..Thanks for posting.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Melissa -- So sorry for the trouble getting logged into the community! I manage the community and am looking into what could be causing that. Did you have to create another username to get logged in here finally, or did you log in using the google option? We definitely want to get that resolved for you!

Now, let's talk about opt outs. First, I want to make sure you know that as an agency account, your opt outs are limited by each sub-account. So, while opt outs within each sub will affect all groups in that sub, you could limit the global affect of your opt outs by separating some of your audience groups out into separate sub-accounts. That may affect your pricing, which we can discuss in more detail, but that is really your first defense against people opting out of all communication without realizing it. Let me know if I can clarify any of that for you.

You could customize the manage preferences link in the footer, but I'd recommend using the [% management %] tag in the body of your email to call more attention to it! You can hide it behind a button for a nice, clear call to action, or you can simply link text to it and format that text as you wish! 

Let me know what questions I can answer for you and we'll dig into the options!
Photo of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

• 28 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Melissa, I am following this discussion with interest. I previously asked about the clarification of the opt out feature and was told this by Lauren Ackerman. Now it seems that we can segment our audience by sub account. So you are saying that if a distribution list only exists in one sub account A, and a person receiving that email, from that sub-account A, opts out, only all emails from that 'sub account-A' (and not sub-account-B) will never receive an emma. I doubt our students/staffers will ever 'opt in' as the article describes below...too much trouble. Here is the email from Lauren:

Hey there!

Your understanding of opt outs is correct - when they opt out from one email, it opts them out from receiving all emails from your account. As a workaround, you can encourage your recipients to manage preferences instead, and here is an article with more info.

I also wanted to point you to two more resources. This one has more info on opt outs in general, but there is a section with more about managing preferences as well. It is toward the end of the article and the header is "If your efforts are already underway...and you want your contacts to choose what types of email campaigns they receive from you." This article includes info on how to opt people back in.

Please take a look at these options and let me know if you have any additional questions!

call to action button

VIEW REPLY

Photo of Melissa Bishop

Melissa Bishop

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
As my follow up comment explains, sub accounts won't work for us. We send emails for hundreds of departments, all to the same audience (staff and/or students). Messages can go to any number of subsets of the audience pool. We use custom templates that are very simplistic: Logo - Department name, horizontal rule, and message, and maybe an occasional image.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Embry Riddle -- The opt outs for agency accounts are not global, as I described above. For Org accounts like yours, the opt outs are global and apply across all sub accounts. So the description above does not apply to your account. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Photo of Melissa Bishop

Melissa Bishop

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Emily, I ended up using my Google+ login. My FB account is personal and I don't want it connected to work issues, and I'm not a big fan of Get Satisfaction as I've never had a good experience; as my troubles logging in here support.
  • I send messages for every department and/or sub-department/committee/program, etc... (hundreds of them) on campus.
  • Some requesters cover multiple departments/programs/committees. 
  • Some departments have dozens of people sending me requests.
The people on campus who control the look and feel of everything will not be please by any changes to the "approved" templates, including any instructions we include. There will be no buttons, widgets, calls to action, etc.... At most, it will be a thin rule and grey text below it. 

While I don't want to go this route, we could create our own footer that points to a webpage on my server explaining why they don't want to opt out and how to create filters to move the unwanted content to a spam folder. However, the option to manipulate your [% management %] tag would be optimal. We would need to have full control on how it looks, where it is located and where it points to. 

Your opt out information is vital to us as we attempt to reduce the 11,000,000+ emails we send every year. We have already used the response data to quell several annoying "spammers", and proof that it is THEIR message that cause a user to opt out, and therefore no longer receive the President's messages, is vitally important to us. Here is how we used it yesterday:

We had a bit of fun with one of the biggest spammers we have.... We've repeatedly asked him to reduce the emails he wants to send. In his most recent reply he included his boss, and his CEO when he claimed that his 156 annual emails only amounted to 0.00014% of our total a year and obviously weren't the issue. He changed his tune real fast when we corrected him and said that his volume was actually almost 1,700,000 and amounted to over 15% of our total. Funny, we haven't heard back from him........

So, after all that... Can you please provide detailed information on how to use/manipulate/customize the opt out information?

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Melissa -- Thanks for the additional info! I suggested using the tag in the body of the email just because it would be easiest for you guys. I totally understand the brand restrictions here, though. Here's what you need!

Since your team builds the branded templates at the agency level and shares them with your sub-account, they can make this change at the template level. The [% management %] tag in the footer of the default template code is an Emma tag that encompasses several other tags. You can remove that tag and replace it with a different bit of code in order to be able to edit the various components of that tag. You'll want to replace [% management %] with this bit:

<a href="[% manage_url %]" style="color:#63c4ee; text-decoration:none;"><strong>Manage</strong></a> your preferences | <a href="[% unsub_url %]" style="color:#63c4ee; text-decoration:none;"><strong>Opt out</strong></a> using <strong>TrueRemove<sup>&reg;</sup></strong><br> Got this as a forward? <a href="[% signup_url %]" style="color:#63c4ee; text-decoration:none;"><strong>Sign up</strong></a> to receive our future emails.<br> Want to view this online? <a href="[% webview_url %]" style="color:#63c4ee; text-decoration:none;"><strong>View online</strong></a> 

You can see there that now the various tags and language you see in the footer are accessible to edit and style as needed. Feel free to edit that language to whatever you feel is necessary! As long as there is still a clear method for unsubscribing, you'll be in the clear.

Does that give you what you need to make those edits in your templates?
(Edited)
Photo of Melissa Bishop

Melissa Bishop

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Wow! Thank you so much! I'll start playing with this today. I'll let you know how it turns out.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey Melissa -- When you were attempting to log into the community using the Emma button, were you already logged into your Emma account in another tab or window? If so, can you give a try next time having logged out of your Emma account? Trying to diagnose the issue here. :)