Date that someone joined or left a group?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Although I know how to view the date that a contact was added to our Emma database, I am not aware of a way to view when a contact was added to a particular group. That's a field we would find really useful -- one of our clients specifically asked for it today, in fact. Is that data available in the database somewhere and could be revealed somehow on the contact record page or on the when viewing/exporting a list of group members?
Photo of Meaghan

Meaghan, Champion

• 83 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Meaghan! That isn’t a date we have access to behind the scenes. Group association is so fluid that adding yourself to or removing yourself from a group ( by using a signup form with group options, by the accountholder deleting someone from a group or by that group itself being removed) isn’t timestamped.

I’m curious how your client would use that date. Do they have an engagement plan in mind for users who remove themselves from a group?
Photo of Meaghan

Meaghan, Champion

• 83 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Got it. I didn't realize that data wasn't even collected so no wonder you can't reveal it! 

We use signup forms and groups for lots of purposes for which they weren't necessarily intended. For example, we'll use a signup form for a basic event registration form, and we'll use that form to drop folks into a specific group of folks registered for the event. It would be handy to have a timestamp of when somebody registered for the event, but since most of the people registering for the event are already contacts in our database, we can't use the "contact since" date. I'm having trouble thinking of other specific examples at the moment, but I know we've frequently wished we had a way to find out when someone joined a group (it's the join date we're usually more interested in; I can't think of a case where we've cared when they left a group).

Thanks for the info! We're going to ponder some options here -- including exploring setting up segments based on signup forms -- and I'll post back if we come up with a good workaround! 
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thanks for explaining that, Meaghan! This is helpful to know. Do let me know if you find a workaround that gets you what you need.