Delete contacts

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Since the upgrade, I can't see how to delete contacts anymore. I added some accidentally and one is not even a valid number . My only options seem to be to change their status from active, error and archive.
Photo of Oregon Zoo Foundation

Oregon Zoo Foundation

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Laura Dickerson

Laura Dickerson, Official Rep

• 778 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi there,

I am not sure if it was an effort to make it seem less threatening in the use of the word "Archive" instead of "Delete" -  but the "Archive" option is the delete function.

You'll check off the boxes to the left of whichever contacts you don't want in the system, and select "Archive" from the dropdown:

This will take the folks out of the system that you do not want. If you find you have archived someone in error you can find them under the name dropdown and recover them:

Let me know if you have any questions!
(Edited)
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Maintain mailing lists.

How do I delete the Error contacts from my mailing lists under Groups?
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there Nationwide!  See Laura's answer above :) 

The only thing you'll need to remember is that you'll want to select the ERROR tab first then you can click the ACTIONS button and choose "Archive All"

Let me know if you have any questions here!

- Grey 
Photo of FSG Agency

FSG Agency

• 32 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The Action button pulldown menu doesn't work at all in Firefox in the new UI. 
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi there FSG!  That is a bug that we are aware of and are working to squash.  It actually affects both Firefox and Internet Explorer.  It should still work for you in Chrome or Safari.  
Photo of Melanie

Melanie

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
So... it's been kind of a while on this... any plans on actually getting it repaired? No functionality in my approved work browsers is really frustrating.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
I don't have an ETA on when that fix will go out.  I do know we're working on it, but sometimes these fixes take some time.  So sorry for the inconvenience!  
Photo of Country Kitchen International

Country Kitchen International

• 90 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
If I want to delete a segment, but NOT the contacts in it, can I select "archive" from the dropdown on the segment name? And vice-versa... if I want to delete contacts inside the segment, can I be inside the segment and select "archive all" from the actions dropdown?

I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again, I HATE this new "archive" equals delete thing. Because in some cases, it still means archive...but sometimes delete. Confusing as hell...as you can tell, because I have to ask everytime I need to do one or the other... Please put in a word on how frustrating this is for endusers. Thanks!
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi there, what you're asking is totally possible, exactly in the way you described.  Archiving the segment itself does not archive the contacts, and opening the segment and using the Actions button to "archive all" will archive the contacts themselves.  You have it right! 

Regarding the Archive v. Delete confusion, there is actually no difference between Archive and Delete.  Exactly the same.  

Before, you would delete and it would go into the deleted folder, where it could be permanently deleted.  

Now, you just archive and can go into the archive folder to permanently delete.  

I will certainly put in a word that this transition was frustrating and could have used some explanation.  
Photo of Event Fabrics

Event Fabrics

• 14 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I too find this super confusing.  I simply want to delete the contact and certainly archive and delete are two entirely different ideas.   Sorry Emma, you've made this too complicated!
Photo of Johnston and Associates

Johnston and Associates

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I delete a contact from my audience? Since the system has updated I cannot....

I no longer have the option to delete from group or entire audience. If I the contact information and remove all the information it still maintains the email address. 
I am currently operating under Google Chrome
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi there Johnston and Associates, 

I believe Laura has provided what you're looking for above.  

You're looking for the "Archive" option under "Actions" at the top of the list.  

NOTE:  We are currently experiencing a bug in our system with Firefox and Internet Explorer that is causing the Action buttons to not work.  For any of these Actions, you'll need to use Chrome or Safari.  

Let me know if you have any questions! 

-G
Photo of Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta

Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is there a way to delete a single contact if they are opt-ed out?
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Yup!  You'd just want to search for that contact using the search bar at the top of the "CONTACTS" page, click on the "Opt-Out" tab to find that contact, then use the ACTIONS button at the top to ARCHIVE them.  

Let me know if you have any additional questions! 

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I don't see an action button at the top. Here is a screen shot of what I see: 
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Looks like perhaps you went one step too far.  When you search for the contact, you don't want to click on the email address to open it.  

Just there from the search results, you want to select the contact by ticking the checkbox on the left, then use the actions button.  

Like this:

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nevermind...I figured it out!