Deleting Contacts - My contact total is still the same after deleting over 2,000 contacts. Any one know why?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Deleting Contacts - My contact total is still the same after deleting over 2,000 contacts.  Any one know why?
Photo of Marena Group, LLC

Marena Group, LLC

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Laura Dickerson

Laura Dickerson, Official Rep

• 778 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi there,

If you've deleted the group name, the contacts are still in the system. Groups are like containers. If you delete the container, the contents remain. You have to go into the group, delete the people and then the name of the group. 

I would suggest you create a Limbo Segment. This will find anyone in your list who is not attached to a group:
In Audience go to the Segments tab, click Create a new segment: 

-Name your segment 

-Find contacts based on "Audience groups" 

-Contacts "in" and select "LIMBO (not in any group)" at the bottom of the Select a group dropdown 

-Click Add 

-Click Save 

This will provide you a list of all the people in Emma who are not attached to a group. Then to delete them:

In the Limbo Segment:

- In the Active tab you will see directly below it the wording "Active contacts are expected to receive your mailings." Below that you will see the word "Take"
- In the drop down next to the word "Take" toggle "selected contacts"  to read "all contacts"
- Click the delete button and confirm the deletion. That will delete the contacts. This will lower your contact number. 

I hope this helps!