View template in actual size without creating new mailing

• Idea
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Not Planned
  • (Edited)
There are often occasions when we need to look at a previously sent email or one of our templates to check something, but we are not creating a new campaign at that time. When we open a template, an untitled campaign is automatically generated. When we open a previously sent campaign, a copy of that campaign is automatically generated.

This is very frustrating because the draft tab gets cluttered with campaigns that then have to be deleted. With the untitled campaigns (generated from templates) it is really confusing because they all are "untitled" so you can't be sure you are deleting the one you created unless you open it.

It's overkill to generate all of these drafts automatically. Seems like it makes a lot more sense for the user to save a new draft if they want one rather than automatically generate one.

Pretty please change this feature! :)
Photo of Ceramic Arts Daily

Ceramic Arts Daily

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • frustrated

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thanks for requesting this! I want to make sure I’m on the same page before taking this to our product owners: It sounds like you’re looking for a way to view your templates in actual size (instead of just in the template gallery) before selecting to use it in your mailing, avoiding the new mailing creation. Does that sound like what you’re seeking?

Ceramic Arts Daily

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes, that sounds about right. And also the previously sent mailings. I just wonder why they new campaigns or copies of campaigns are automatically started. Seems like you should be able to view a past campaign or template for reference without a new one being generated. Does that make sense?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thanks! I’ll share this with a product owner.

As for previously sent mailings, you can view them without creating a copy by clicking the view button in the View Email column on the Sent tab. That was actually an idea created by another Emma user, and I’m so glad it’s been implemented.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Here's what I've learned: There are changes to come to the template gallery, but a larger view of a template isn't currently planned. I'm going to mark this as Not Planned for now, but we'll keep this in mind during the template gallery's makeover later this year to see how it fits into the plans.

Upon rereading your original post, I wonder if I misunderstood and took “template” to mean one of the readymade templates in the template gallery when maybe you were referring to mailings. Did the above link with information about the view button help?

Ceramic Arts Daily

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Katie! Yes, I was referring to our templates - not the template gallery.

The view button does help in the sent campaigns area. I guess I never noticed it there! It would be nice if there was something like that in the "My Templates" area.

One other thing, is it possible to view or edit our existing templates without going through the "Create a New Mailing" tab?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
OK, got it!

You can’t view or edit an existing template without clicking to create a new mailing, since that brings up the template gallery. But if you need something edited in the template that you don’t have access to — for example, if we’d previously hard-coded text into your template’s footer for you — we can edit that on our end. We’d just need to know the template’s name and the needed change. :)
Photo of Second Chance Technologies

Second Chance Technologies

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Left a message on a separate thread, but here is the gist: This seems like a gross oversight. So, lets say I want to update an existing template. I have to Create a New Mailing, pick the template I want to change, make my edits, and then save the file as a new template because it won't let me save over an existing template. Seriously, have you thought this through? This will ultimately lead to a bloated family of templates that no one can make sense of.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi there! Yep, we have thought this through. :) Our Design Team creates a lot of custom templates for which Emma users pay. If you could save over a template, we would constantly be getting requests to revert back to the original or to undo one piece that was changed.

We don’t have the resources to manage that, nor would we we able to provide support for something you may have inadvertently broken with your own code, so while we do allow saving something you’ve edited as a new creation, you aren’t able to save over top of a template you paid for or one in the readymade gallery.

When you do save as a new template, it’s added to your personal template gallery instead of the readymade template gallery, which is shared by all accounts. This way, you can keep separate what you’ve customized and the readymade options available to you.
Photo of Innovative

Innovative

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
A problem that I am having, that I think other people are also eluding to, is that we can't overwrite a template in our own 'personal template gallery' and we would like to. (Seriously, if we accidentally mess something up and need to revert, that's on us and we'd be out of luck. We understand and accept that.)

But since we can't overwrite, our own 'personal template gallery' gets bloated with a lot of similar templates that we've made minor changes to as we developed them. And there isn't even a way to delete the templates that we've created that we don't want anymore.

Please note, that this is all about our personal customized template galleries and has nothing to do with your "readymade galleries".
(Edited)
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi! I’m not sure I understand your workflow. When you say you could mess something up and need to revert, are you using the Save as Template feature to create a separate, reusable template? If that’s the case, are you often finding that you’re saving versions that are messed up?

Also, I want to let you know that you can delete a template from your personal gallery.
Photo of Innovative

Innovative

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Last night I finally figured out how to delete a template from my gallery. Thank you. That helps a lot in maintenance and clean-up. It's not very intuitive to manage templates in the creation of a campaign process, so maybe you can make that known to new members better.

It would still be nice to overwrite our own templates as we work on them and modify them, but at least with saving as a new template, deleting and renaming, it's manageable.

thanks.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thanks! This sounds a bit different than the original request to view the template gallery without having to click to create a new mailing. Are you up for creating a new idea conversation I can take to our product team about your idea for overwriting templates? If you’ll share there what your workflow is and what type of trouble you’re running into, as well as how you’d want it to work if you overwrote something and wanted to undo it, I’ll share it with the product folks.