Hard returns are duplicated when saving HTML

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

Hello,
For some reason I cannot get edits to the html of a text block to remain saved. I'm href'ing an image from our college server using an image tag, and am floating the image to wrap with the text. It seems to work great, as long as I don't save and walk away.

However, after I save and exit, and then return to edit the email later on, the float style has been stripped and the image just stacks on top of the paragraph.

Additionally, there seem to be a series of break tags that persist even after I open the html and remove them and save. Once I hit save, the break tags return.

Any ideas? I'd really love to be able to work in html but it's not letting me get the results I'm after. Thanks for your help,
Dan
Photo of Champlain College

Champlain College

• 23 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Hey there! Sorry for the saving troubles, but can you please let me which campaign you’re currently working in and I’ll jump in there to take a look to see if anything sticks out to me in the HTML.

Champlain College

• 23 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thanks Tyler- Would it be possible for me to email you my issues? I feel I could explain myself better with some screen shots.
Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
There is actually a great feature here you can add images to your post. If you click on add image there in the lower right corner, you’ll have a popup which you’re able to select the image from your computer and then upload to your post. It will only show the file path of the image file initially, but once you click reply you’ll see that image(s) appear. Please let me know if you run into any troubles.

Champlain College

• 23 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thanks Tyler. It's the Young Writers' email. So as an example: the footer of the email has the names and contact of two directors. It looks fine:

Then, all I do is click the Code button in the toolbar, make no edits, and close it. The footer now looks like this:

When I open the Code view again, i see that Break tags were mysteriously added.

When I remove them and start over, the same thing happens.
What's really odd is that, in addition to adding tags, it also removes style tags (such as floating) I may have applied to an image tag.

I do the majority of my edits in the Code view, and would love to be able to work in there without wondering if anything will be added or removed.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks,
Dan
Photo of Katie Watts

Katie Watts, Support Team Manager

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Thanks for this additional information! I know exactly what’s going on here. There is a current glitch in the system that causes those line breaks to duplicate when the code view is edited and saved for a text box. I apologize you’re running in to that trouble, and I’ll update you on this thread as soon as I hear from our Development team that they’ve fixed that issue.

There are a couple workarounds. The first would be to do your editing from within the main editor view, rather than going into the HTML. We offer the combo block layout elements for instances when you want to have a picture floating to one side of the text. If there’s a section that you want to fully code in HTML, you can just drag in and drop one of the HTML blocks. The code you paste there won’t be impacted by the line break duplication bug you’re experiencing in those text boxes.

If you do need to go into the code view of a text box, one option is to delete all of the line break tags in the HTML. If you delete them all, when you save, there won’t be any added. Then in the editor view, you can insert your line breaks back into your content. (You can insert line breaks in the drag and drop editor by hitting shift + enter.) Or, if you don’t delete them all and they do duplicate when you save, you can just use your backspace or delete keys on your keyboard to remove the extra line breaks once you’re back in the editor view.

Because the text boxes aren’t designed to support images being inserted into the code view, the styling you apply to those tags (such as floating) will be stripped. If you want to use text and images together, you’ll want to either use a combo block or HTML block. (If you opt to code your own HTML, please review our guidelines for building your own HTML email to ensure your code will solidly render in the wide variety of email clients out there.)

I apologize you’re running in to this trouble with the line breaks duplicating when the code view is saved. Hopefully the workarounds will work for you, and I’ll post here as soon as I have an update on the bug!
Photo of Katie Watts

Katie Watts, Support Team Manager

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Good news ... I've heard from our Development team that the problem of those duplicating line break tags in your HTML has been fixed! I'm so sorry you were running in to that issue, and I appreciate your patience while we worked on getting a fix in place. Please give me a shout if you run into further troubles on this!

Champlain College

• 23 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Great, thank you Katie!