How do I edit an email address in a member record?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
How do I edit an email address in a record? Every time I try to edit it, I receive a message that there is an error and it reverts back to the old email address.
Photo of Vanderbilt Institute of Imaging Science

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Ben Vance

Ben Vance, Alum

• 328 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Hi! Does the error message that you’re getting provide any other information? Would you possibly be able to take a screen shot?
Photo of Wilson County CASA

Wilson County CASA

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm having the same problem. (I cropped out the name and e-mail address)
Photo of Ben Vance

Ben Vance, Alum

• 328 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Official Response
I think the first thing we need to check is the deleted items in the account. If you’re trying to change someone’s current email address to one that was previously stored in the account but has since been deleted - you can get an error message like this. For example:

Let’s say my current email address in your account is employee@work.com. But then I win the Awesome Employee contest, and my email address changes to awesome.employee@work.com - so you delete my old record (employee@) and create a new record for me with the new address.

Well, the next time around, I lose the contest - so my email is back to just being employee@work.com. If you hop into my member record and try to change my email address back - then you’ll get this error because employee@work.com was previously deleted from the account.

To check your deleted Items for deleted audience members, click on the Account Settings button at the top right of your screen:

Then choose Deleted items:

Look for the Audience tab, then for members:

If the address you’re looking for is there, you can restore it to the account by clicking on the drop down arrow to the right of it and choosing “Undelete this item:”

I hope this helps! If you’re still running into trouble, please let us know. We may need to take a more specific look at your account to pinpoint the problem.
Yes, that is what happened. I am trying to change my address from my maiden name to my married name (which is in my email address). I was getting frustrated at one point so I made a new account with my married name. I started getting 2 emails for every notice I was sending out (maiden and married email) so I wanted to try to remedy this. However, I wanted to try to amend my maiden name account first as it would keep my date of joining more accurate than the account I carelessly created for my married name. Does this make sense? Is there a way to fix this?
Photo of Ben Vance

Ben Vance, Alum

• 328 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Hi! I’m so sorry that we got disconnected here, and I wanted to check back in to wrap up our conversation.

Once you’ve created member records for both email addresses in Emma, they’ll be treated separately from that point forward. There’s not a way to change the address containing your maiden name over to your married name once you’ve already created another member record containing your married name address.

Let me know if you have any further questions!
Photo of Cheapskates Web Marketing

Cheapskates Web Marketing

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm having a similar problem trying to update an email address.

The message it get is "There was an error editing that contact. Please try again. "

I've followed the steps above and can't find any deleted addresses for this contact. What else can I do?
Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Good afternoon! Can you please let me know the current email address and the new one which you're attempting to update to? I can then do some research here on the back end. Go ahead and spell out the email address, so it doesn't link. For example tscott at myemma dot com.

Thanks!
Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Hello! I wanted to be sure you saw my post above. Please just give me a shout if you still need assistance.

Thanks!
Photo of The Big Sky Centre for Learning

The Big Sky Centre for Learning

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having the same problem, It tells me there is an error editing and there are no names in the deleted items folder.
Photo of Benton Cummings

Benton Cummings, Senior Manager, Customer Support

• 491 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Hi there Big Sky Centre,

I'm going to shoot you a quick email to get the email address you're attempting to edit in order to keep that secure- then, we'll circle back up here to finish the conversation. Thanks so much, and see ya back here soon!