How do I add email sign-ups to audience groups?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Hi all,

I think I'm managing to confuse myself on Emma's sign-ups. When I create a sign-up, do I also have to create a group/mailing list for them to go into? Or does the sign-up automatically create its own group/mailing list?
Photo of Jacobson Consulting Applications

Jacobson Consulting Applications

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
I'm sorry to hear you're getting confused! Let's start at the beginning: When you create a signup form, you're giving folks a way for them to sign up for your emails. Since that signup form is connected to your Emma account, those people will be filtered to your audience, but you want to tell them exactly where in your account you want them to go. Like sheep. You're the herding dog.

You have a few options when creating your signup form:

• People who sign up are automatically added to the audience group(s) of your choice
  • People who sign up have the option(s) of which group(s) to join
  • If you don't determine one of the first two, people who sign up are added to your general audience and not into a specific audience group for you to send to. (If you think this might have happened in the past, you can create a search to find all members who are in "limbo" and assign them to a group. You can read more about that here.)

The first two options can be determined when editing your signup form; check out step #8 on this page.

I hope this helps! Give me a shout if you're still scratching your head over this, and we'll take another look.
Photo of Southern Grind

Southern Grind

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Katie,

I came across this post while trying to figure out a solution to my problem. We are making use of the API successfully, except that the emails we collect from the signup form on our site are staying in limbo. How can I edit my PHP script to automatically enter the submitted email address to an existing audience group?

If there is some documentation that you can point me to, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,
Kevin
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Kevin! You'll find our API documentation here.

We don't provide support for the API, so I'm a bit limited when it comes to wading through code that I'm sure makes much more sense to you than it does to me. From looking at a PHP signup example, your signup form's ID will be added in the member data section just below email. Here's where you'll add the ID of your signup form:

//Member data other than email should be passed in an array called "fields."
$member_data = array(
"email" => $email,
"signup_form_id" => $signup_form_id,
"fields" => array(
"name_first" => $first_name,
"name_last" => $last_name
),
"group_ids" => $groups
);

You can find a signup form's ID by looking at the URL for the form, like this (which isn't a real form, just created as an example):

https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/123456/789012/?v=a

The first group of numbers, 123456, is the signup form's ID, while the second set is the account ID.

I hope this helps, Kevin, but please let me know if I'm not quite hitting upon your question!
Photo of Strategic Design Studio

Strategic Design Studio

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
signup form.

On my newsletter signup form, I gave people the choice of newsletter signs ups. When they choose, can their info be directed to the appropriate audience list(s)?
Photo of Chinook Medical Gear

Chinook Medical Gear

• 36 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
When someone completes our email sign up form, where do those addresses get stored?.

How can I specify which audience group new sign ups are added to?
Photo of City of Vancouver, Washington

City of Vancouver, Washington

• 37 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Multiple lists in one sign up form.

We have multiple lists and would like to create a single sign-up Web page that allows the visitor to see all the lists available and choose which lists he/she wants to sign up to receive. How do we do this?