Emails not being received but Emma is showing they were. Basically no one got our newsletter we sent this a.m.

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Not a Problem
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

Sent an enewsletter at 8 a.m. Nobody on my team or other department received it. However, Emma is showing it was sent/received. What is going on? We send this every month internally, but suddenly it's not making it to our inbox. None of the "bounces" included me or my colleagues. Please help. I called this a.m. and customer service was supposed to send some info for me to check with our IT dept. Never received the email. I tried calling and have been on hold.
Photo of UC Health

UC Health

  • 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Sue Gallardo

Sue Gallardo

  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I also have emails that were sent over the last few days, that Emma says were received, but were not. I even resent one to a person who was waiting for it, and he never received it the additional one either.
Photo of Seemab Hussaini

Seemab Hussaini, Champion

  • 36 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi all!

Thanks for reaching out, I know it can be frustrating to show that your mailer is "received" on your sent mailer and it not arrive to your inbox. One of our best (Katie Lewis) had a great write-up to a similar situation here:

All Emma can really see is the mailer being accepted by the server, how that server chooses to route it is up to the server and it's protocalls. If your server is not allowing the mailing to get to your inbox, the 2 steps Katie outlines for Whitelisting and Setting your SPF record should set you straight.

Yes this may be new, but servers and the IT that run them always have updates and changes that may inadvertently affect certain IP's (in this case, ours).

Also, please note that you also want to wait until the mailer is no longer "In progress" and has a "completed" status. This exists for these very reasons. Once completed, you can be sure that this is taking place at your server level.

I hope this helps folks! But please keep me posted here as to the results of your current situation and if you were able to overcome these obstacles =)