Error 500 when adding new contacts

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Conversation moved to email

I'm getting the Error 500 message whenever I try to save a new contact. It's happening in every browser I've tried on multiple operating systems. Two browsers I've tried include the latest version of Chrome and Safari 6.1. I've been trying to add new contacts since yesterday. A few will go through and then this error makes it impossible to continue to add any more.

The full error reads: "Oops, that wasn't supposed to happen.
We're sorry, something unexpected happened and your request could not be completed. Use your browser's back button and try again, or contact your technical support team."

Please help so I can send my campaign to all of my new subscribers!
Thank you :)
Photo of Andean Institute

Andean Institute

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- I'm sorry for the trouble you're having!! It sounds like you're adding contacts manually. I tried adding myself to your Subscribers group and had success. Have you cleared your browser's cache and cookies lately? Sometimes those errors are just a cached version of an error you've encountered previously!

Let me know if that does the trick!

Andean Institute

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the suggestion, Emily. Yes, I am adding contacts manually. We sometimes gather email addresses at in-person events and then need to add them to our list. It seems to be a selective error because I can add some of my addresses, (like you were able to add yourself) but others get hung up with the error. And then later, I can add an address that once gave an error. The error also shows up when I search for certain people or email addresses to see if my input had in fact saved the contact. But again, some I can search with no problem and some give the error. I tried resetting the browser, but that doesn't change anything. I also received the error message when trying completely different browsers for the first time on another computer, so nothing could have been cached on that browser itself...unless there is caching within our account. Any other ideas? Thanks!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
This sounds most like an intermittent connectivity issue to me. I'm not able to replicate any of those errors, and the inconsistency of them is leading me to think it's related to your internet connection. Are you connecting via wifi?

Have you gotten these errors when working on any other pages in the account, like Campaigns or Response? 

When you've searched to see if a contact saved even though you got an error...did they in fact save or did you have to add the contact again?

Hopefully we can narrow the issue down further from here! Thanks :)

Andean Institute

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My internet is wifi, but it's super fast and reliable. I never have pages time out or issues with anything else that would make me think that I am dropping the connection (we engage in a lot of very large uploads and downloads, website design and maintenance, etc. in my office without issue). I have not received this error message in any other part of Emma. If I've received the error when entering a particular address and then try to search it, I seem to always get the error message again so I am still unsure if they save. I could privately send you some of the names / emails I am trying to enter or search to see if you could replicate it that way? Let me know if you'd like to try that. Thanks so much!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey there -- Ok. Yes, let's dig in on some of those specific email addresses. You can email me via that thread we already have going. :)