How do customers whitelist externally?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Can you please confirm if when requesting external whitelisting (request to customer), that the request would be simply to whitelist e2ma.net?

I see your internal whitelisting instructions page here: https://support.myemma.com/Emma_resources/Account_how-to/how-to-whitelist-emma, but I want to confirm this is what should also be sent externally.

Thank you, 
Darcy
Photo of Western Energy Institute

Western Energy Institute

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Darcy! Yep, that’s what you can send externally. But I also suggest that your IT Team set up an SPF record, which makes your mailings look more appealing to hesitant receiving servers. The SPF record is something you’ll do on your end.

Hope this helps!
Photo of NCIL

NCIL

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm trying to set up the SPF record and I don't understand this instruction:

2. Turn your SPF record into a Sender ID record.

Now that you've wizarded your way to an SPF record, you're a few tweaks away from a Sender ID record as well. And what's Sender ID, you ask? It's basically Microsoft and Hotmail's version of an SPF record, tweaked with a syntax that Hotmail's servers prefer. We recommend publishing both SPF and Sender ID records so you can optimize your delivery across the board, including Hotmail.

Here's how to make the tweak.

Change the text in bold in your original SPF record:

"v=spf1 a mx include:e2ma.net -all"

to this instead:

"spf2.0/pra a mx include:e2ma.net -all"

How do you "change the text in bold in your original SPF record"?<br>

Photo of Paul Zimmerman-Clayton

Paul Zimmerman-Clayton, Official Rep

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hey there! Hopefully I can clarify that step for you. From the original instructions, you will have set up an SPF record that has the following:

"v=spf1 a mx include:e2ma.net -all"

and in the instructions (not in the record itself), "v=spf1is in bold. Swap that bit of text out with the bold text in the next line "spf2.0/pra 

so "v=spf1 a mx include:e2ma.net -all"

becomes 

"spf2.0/pra a mx include:e2ma.net -all"

I hope that clears things up! If I've missed it completely, please let me know! I'll see what else I can can figure out!
Photo of NCIL

NCIL

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Paul,

Swap it where? By going through the wizard again? 
Photo of Paul Zimmerman-Clayton

Paul Zimmerman-Clayton, Official Rep

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
You'll just take the output of the wizard, update that manually, then pass that along to your IT team. If the wizard gave you this (for example): 

v=spf1 a mx ip4:192.168.x.x include:e2ma.net -all

you would pass along to your IT team the following: 

spf2.0/pra a mx ip4:192.168.x.x include:e2ma.net -all

I couldn't say where to add that completed line, but you'll want to get in touch with your domain's administrator, or, alternatively, support from your hosting company. Where to place that line will vary from host to host, and I couldn't tell you exactly where to place it. 

Let me know if I can help with anything else!