Organize images by folders in image library

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
We would love if it was possible to organize your images in the asset library by folders. It would make it so much easier to find images we use over and over. Please make it so!!
Photo of Ceramic Arts Daily

Ceramic Arts Daily

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thanks for the idea! We’ve had previous requests for campaign folders and audience group folders, too. I’m checking in with our product owners to see what they think. :)
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hello again! If you’ve read through those previous conversation I’ve linked to, you can see there are several types of organization — folders? tags? keywords? — that Emma users have thrown out as options. We’d love to get more feedback here as we shape image and document management. What would be the most effective way for your to organize your images and documents? (We often lump them together, since they’re side-by-side on the Campaigns page and should function similarly.)

Ceramic Arts Daily

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I think any of these options could work.

We have several different types of images we upload. For example: call to action buttons; text ad images for products we sell; sponsor images; newsletter images; etc.). A lot of these are used over and over again, so it would be great to not have to look for them manually. Also it would be a more efficient use of storage space as images wouldn't accidentally be uploaded more than once (it is easy to miss an image that has already been uploaded when searching through as it is now).

I suggested folders because that is how we organized them in our previous emails service. But I don't see why searchable tags or keywords couldn't work just as well. Does that help?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Yes, thanks! Can’t wait to see what everyone else comes up with, too!
Photo of ASSA ABLOY EMS&OEM Group

ASSA ABLOY EMS&OEM Group

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Folders in the image and document library would be very helpful to us to. Any word on how far out this is?

Ceramic Arts Daily

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
yes, I was wondering too! I hope it is in the works!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi there! There’s no change to this yet, but I’ll let you know once there is. :)
Photo of Winding Oak

Winding Oak

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Having folders would also be a great way for Emma to provide ready-to-go images and maybe even approved third parties that want to share "globally."
Photo of Winding Oak

Winding Oak

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I would also like to see the ability to change views of the image library. The grid view is nice but it truncates file names and doesn't provide any other information about the images. Being able to switch to a list view that also had file size and maybe date created would really be helpful.
Photo of Petersham Rugby

Petersham Rugby

• 23 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Organisation of Images and Documents.

Are there plans to be able to organise Images and Folders into a folder heirarchy? Since this is essentially a little file system inside Emma it would be nice to be able to have file system functionality.

It makes everything tidier. Imagine if all your files on you PC or in your filing cabinet were in one pile.

Unfortunately I cannot be relied upon to consistently come up with decent names for files so a cataloguing system is very helpful. e.g. TeamDinner.doc works fine until another TeamDinner.doc needs to be loaded for a different team or year. One can name it 1stTeamDinner2014.doc but then then the first document cannot be identified without downloading and opening it. (Also it is not currently possible to rename documents). Also ordering by name is dependant upon the naming convention de jour. Sometimes I might put 2014 at the front or some other combination.

I saw for campaign a suggestion of Keywords. Keywords do serve a purpose, much like an index at the back of a book but they cannot convey hierarchy or order very well. I would suggest implementing both but my preference would be for folders first.

The internet and Google have increased the usage of keyword searching but once you get to a page everything is in a menu structure (i.e. folders) and the back end of websites are all in folder structures. A website with just an alphabetical list of pages and a search field would not be very user friendly.

Anyhoo, I seem to have ranted on enough.

Cheers
Kent

PS. Folders please
PPS. and then keywords

Photo of Liz Stephenson

Liz Stephenson

• 35 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Folders work for us, but I love a keyword search tool too. If we can train users to tag as they upload, and then place in appropriate folders it would really be beneficial. Our images now are a nightmare, and like the previous poster, we have graphics, buttons, and photos, so an organizational system would be fantastic.
Photo of Jennie Eukel

Jennie Eukel

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
This is actually a big concern for my company too. We are a publication company and between managing multiple publications and consumer events, as well as advertiser emails, we really need a better image organizational library for the hundreds of photos and graphics we manage. 

I've worked with five email management companies (Mailchimp, Streamsend, Contactology, Constant Contact and now Emma) and in my opinion, Constant Contact's image library is the best out of all of these. Some of the features that are great:
  • Drag and drop multiple images into the library at once. 
  • Ability to add a keyword to each photo for searchability
  • Ability to search for an image in the library by keyword
  • Folders are set up so you can add/sort photos
  • ALSO you can resize the photo within the photo editor. Right now Emma just has large, XXL, medium, large, small, best fit, etc. It is so much more user friendly to also have the ability to tweak the pixel dimensions (and keep the dimensions constrained).
There are a few other bugs with the UX, but this image library is the biggest obstacle for my company as we set up our account. 

Please, please, PLEASE make this a development priority! 

~Jennie Eukel
Greenspring Media
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thanks for sharing this, Jennie! Content management is definitely on our radar, and your list of tools important to you is helpful as we shape those features.

This is still under consideration, and we'd love to be able to reach out to you once we dig in. Would you be up for that?
Photo of Jennie Eukel

Jennie Eukel

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Definitely. Happy to chip in from a user perspective.
Photo of Edge of the Woods

Edge of the Woods

• 40 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
i definitely agree with Jennie that these features are sorely needed in the emma interface.

Edge of the Woods

• 40 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
In order to organize my photos I am actually downloading them all to a folder on my desktop I am calling 'emma photos' and I will use that instead of the emma library.  It will be easier for me to find them here than looking through the library emma has.  I'm deleting all my current photos but a few oft-used ones.  It's slow going, deleting them one at a time.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hey there! I'm sorry to hear this is causing a headache. As for deleting your images, I want to make sure you've spotted that you can delete more than one image at a time by jumping into your mailing, clicking an image placeholder and clicking to open your library.

Once there, check the boxes of the images you want to delete, then click the orange Delete selected button that appears.

While this doesn't resolve the image organization you need, it'll help get rid of those unwanted images faster!

Edge of the Woods

• 40 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
thanks!

I am trying to systematically download, then delete, the large ones first.  Because it turns out I have ALOT of photos in the library.  I'm tyring to have several windows open at once so I can easily download, and then move into my new folder on my computer.

I'll see if I can do that, or something else not-to-tedious  through the interface you just pointed out to me.

When I'm in the popup window I get from accessing the way you showed me a bit ago, after every 'delete' i am returned to page one of the library.  Maybe that's something they could fix?

I'll go try this method now.  thanks.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
When you delete from within the image library on the main Campaigns page, you're right that not only must you delete one by one, but the page also refreshes to the first page of the image library. I find that to be a bit of a bear, especially if I'm wanting to mass delete, so I'd jump into an email to delete multiple images in one fell swoop.

Now, since you're wanting to download the images to your computer and then delete them, you can only download an image when accessing the image library from the main Campaigns page, so you'll be sitting through the page refresh each time

You're probably thinking, "Um, why is the image library's functionality different based on where you access it?" I wondered the same thing, too, and I sent that head-scratcher to our Product Team. (Every time an Emma user lets us know in the community their use case for a new feature or a functionality change, we share that use case with the Product Team. These use cases help them build out the story for their work toward a resolution, so it's really, really helpful for us, even if you have a specific use case like this one.)

I hope that bit of background helps, and I hope it also helps to know you're heard! We do get this request a lot, to organize specific types of assets/content into folders, and we're thinking through how that would work. I'm so glad you voted for this one. :)
Photo of ASSA ABLOY EMS&OEM Group

ASSA ABLOY EMS&OEM Group

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I cannot express enough that a function for organizing images is paramount.  Need to be able to create folders with a drag and drop feature.
Penny Parker - proud EMMA user
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Penny! I'm so glad you commented here. I'm letting our Product Team know how critical this type of organization is for your work.
Photo of Stroller Strides Org

Stroller Strides Org

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Katie!

We are also in dire need of folder organization in images as well.  Not only in our own Corporate account but in the Image Asset Global Library we manage for our franchisees.  Thank you!
Photo of Sinai Schools

Sinai Schools

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes! I agree organizing images would be a great feature
Photo of Kelli G

Kelli G

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Better Image Management.

Ability to search the image library, rename images, and categorize images.
Photo of Northpoint Bible College

Northpoint Bible College

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
+1 for folders in images, campaigns, and audiences.  We have several different categories of emails, and it would make sense for us to sort them into folders rather than having to find them in a list of all our emails.
Photo of Steamatic

Steamatic

• 22 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Any update to this? I was under the impression that this was in the works?
Photo of Cale Mooth

Cale Mooth, Product Owner

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Hi everyone!
I wanted to let you know we have been hard at work bringing improved organizational tools to the image library. 

In the next few weeks you will have both the ability to sort images into folders and search for images by name.

Additionally, you'll also be able to drag an image directly from your desktop into an image block (completely bypassing the library if you so choose).

This follows last week's release of the improved image library UI and ability to upload several images at once to the library.

We're currently testing folders and search with plans to start enabling the features for some accounts at the end of this week.

Now is a good time to delete some of those old unused images and make sure your file naming conventions are solid. Stay tuned!

Cale
(Edited)
Photo of Steamatic

Steamatic

• 22 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Woohoo, awesome! I'd love to be included in the test group, if that's possible. Thanks!
Photo of Cale Mooth

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Hey there, Steamatic! We've enabled folders and search in the Editor image library for your account. Let me know how it works out for you. 

We're still planning to turn these features on for the majority of accounts, next week. 
Photo of Steamatic

Steamatic

• 22 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Where would I access the Editor image library? When i go into the usual image library or the Asset image library, I'm not seeing that function. Thanks!
Photo of Cale Mooth

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
The library is accessed by clicking on an existing image in your mailing and then clicking the "Choose another image" option in the upper left. 

Clicking on an empty image placeholder in your mailing will also bring up the library. 

Hope that helps!
Photo of Steamatic

Steamatic

• 22 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
That did help me find it, thank you! So just to confirm -- we can add new images into the folders, but won't be able to move existing images into the folders. Is that right?
Photo of Cale Mooth

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
You're welcome! Existing images can absolutely be placed into folders. Once you've created a folder (click "Add folder" in the lower left), you can then select the checkmarks on each image you want to place into the new folder. 

From there you'll see an "Add to folder" dropdown appear where you can choose which folder to place those images into. 

When uploading new images they will appear in the "All images" section and can then be placed into folders. 
Photo of Steamatic

Steamatic

• 22 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Ah! I see now. Wonderful! So excited about this new feature.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Official Response
This work is fully implemented across all account types. You can read more about folders for the image library here!