Formatting Issue in Lotus Notes

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

Hi,

My name is Sasha Naborne, and I am the administrative assistant here at the Ben Hudnall Memorial Trust. In my role. I am responsible for sending out a monthly newsletter to our participants who are KP employees using Emma. A majority of the email addresses we have on file in Emma are KP email addresses. When I test ran our edition last week, I noticed that the content was missing, the formatting is off, and it appears nothing like it has in the past. But when you choose to read the newsletter online, it appears normal.

I know that in the past, there was an issue about Lotus Notes blocking correspondences from Emma, but now I've been told by KP IT that Lotus Notes no longer recognizes the language/code sent from Emma. I have not seen this with any of the other editions in the past, but it seems like since the last I sent out a newsletter, which was 1/24, there has been a change somewhere. To make things even weirder, the past editions I have saved in a folder in Lotus Notes have changed formatting as well. I was hoping to gain a little more insight on how to correct this problem if at all possible.

Thank you so much for your help,
Sasha Naborne

Photo of Kaiser Permanente National Workforce Planning & Development

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Cassie Berman

Cassie Berman, Alum

• 153 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Thanks for checking in on Lotus Notes rendering. I'd be happy to assist! Can you please let me know what version of Lotus Notes KP uses? We list the versions that are currently supported here. If you visit the link, and scroll down to review the list of desktop mail programs that can handle sophisticated HTML, you'll see that Lotus 8 & 8.5 are supported, but the older versions — Lotus 6, Lotus 6.5, Lotus 7 — are not. So if your email program is Lotus Notes 8 and above, the rendering issues may be campaign-specific, and that's something we may be able to fix. Hoping that's the case! Just let me know which version, and we'll go from there.

Hi, Cassie,

Firstly, thank you so much for your assistance. This is issue has been mind numbing to say the least. I checked with our IT department, and we are actually using Lotus Notes 8.5.
Photo of Cassie Berman

Cassie Berman, Alum

• 153 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
That's great news! Not the mind numbing part, of course. But the fact you're using Lotus Notes 8.5 means we have something to work with. Can you point me towards the specific edition that arrived in your inbox with missing content, and let me know if it was some or all content that didn't render?
Photo of Cassie Berman

Cassie Berman, Alum

• 153 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Yoo-hoo. Do you still need a hand with Lotus Notes rendering, or have you been working with another Emma staffer to address these issues? I just want to be sure you have assistance if you need it. Please give me a shout back if I can help!
I am so sorry for the late response. All of the newsletters have changed format. I have several archived, and those have changed as well. Anything sent to an outside Lotus Notes email address is fine, but in Lotus Notes it appears very jumbled.
Also anything that was a "newsletter" or "update" are the editions I'm referring to. Thanks so much for your help!
Photo of Cassie Berman

Cassie Berman, Alum

• 153 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Sure thing! I just sent a test of your February Update to see how it renders in Lotus Notes 8.5, and it actually looks great -- just as it appears in Emma. Perhaps the way your email program is displaying the content is more specific to your IT setup than Lotus Notes 8.5's HTML rendering engine in general. I think a good next step would be for you to take some screenshots and post them here, so I can see the campaigns as you do in your inbox.

Another good test would be for you to create a new template from scratch, and send that to yourself to see if you get a better result. I am not sure how long ago you created your BHMT monthly newsletter and BHMT Monthly Update templates. But I can tell by looking at the HTML code for both that they are based on the readymade Blank Template, that is standard with all Emma accounts.

Try starting a fresh campaign with the Blank Template that is in the top row of the template gallery options, and re-creating the layout you use for the newsletter and update. Send that to yourself, and let me know if you get a better result.

I suggest this because it is possible that some of your rendering troubles could be the result of re-using the same campaign over and over again. If your process is to create copies of sent campaigns, modify the content, and send new issues, and you do that over and over again each month, then you could have some built up/old HTML from the previous editions lurking in new ones. Starting from scratch ensures you’ve got a clean slate, and your email program will have an easier time rendering clean code than built up code with new copy. Not that you have to do this every single time. But if you re-use old campaigns ad infinitum, it could be that your email program is having trouble rendering the built up code.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this strategy! And certainly feel free to post screenshots showing how specific campaigns are rendering in your archive and email program. If you go that route, please also let me know the specific campaign name you've posted so I can check the HTML for that edition.
(Edited)
That's what I initially thought, but my whole department received the jumbled version for some reason.

I took your suggestion about starting a new template, and this is what I got in Emma vs. my Lotus Notes

Photo of Cassie Berman

Cassie Berman, Alum

• 153 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Oh my! I'm glad you didn't spend too much more time composing content if that's the result in your inbox when you start from scratch.

To your earlier question, I hear what you're saying about your colleagues getting the same odd rendering as you did, but if you are all using the same technical setup, and the same desktop email software, then it could still be the case that there's something unique about your version of Lotus Notes 8.5 that the general rendering engine for that program doesn't have going on. It's possible that your systems engineers have add-ons that affect HTML rendering on top of Lotus Notes' default setup. Being more in the Emma email design world than the IT world myself, I couldn't venture to make an educated guess about what sort of component would be installed that interferes with the appearance of sophisticated HTML on your computers.

Speaking of that, you mentioned in your first post that KP IT said "Lotus Notes no longer recognizes the language/code sent from Emma." I have published the results of my rendering test for February's Update, and you can view them here. In addition to being able to view your campaign in Lotus Notes 8 and 8.5, I also tested rendering in other common desktop and web-based email clients, so you can check those too.

After seeing your latest screenshot of the email when you started from scratch, I went back and tested that campaign going back as far as I can for Lotus Notes, which is version 6. I've published those results here. In that rendering test, you can see Lotus Notes versions 6-8.5, as well as a bunch of other email programs. To me, Lotus Notes 7 matches your screenshot much more closely than version 8 or 8.5, so you might want to double check which version you're using. We don't support Lotus Notes 6, 6.5 or 7, and I expect that is because the HTML rendering of those older programs isn't something we can accomodate when coding templates that write HTML for more current email applications.

Please let me know what you think after viewing the rendering tests in Litmus.