Text formatting changes in the inbox

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Didn't hear back from community member

When I send test emails I notice that the formatting is changed. Paragraphs either have too much or no space in between and dividers always disappear. This is really frustrating since it looks great one second then it changes when I save and/or send. Please help.
Photo of UCLA - Dept. of Library Services

UCLA - Dept. of Library Services

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Ben Vance

Ben Vance, Alum

• 328 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Hi! I’m so sorry for the frustration here. Would you be able to point me to a specific campaign in your account that I can view as an example? I’d be happy to take a look and do some testing for you!
Photo of UCLA - Dept. of Library Services

UCLA - Dept. of Library Services

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, please!

It is the campaign titled "Newsletter Fall 2013", it is the only one saved under the new drag and drop feature.

Thanks!
Photo of Ben Vance

Ben Vance, Alum

• 328 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Hi! I checked out the HTML code for this campaign, and I noticed that a a good portion of the text appears to have been copied and pasted from a Microsoft Office program, maybe Word.

When you copy and paste in text, not only are you bring the text itself, but also any HTML formatting that’s been applied to it. The problem here is that the HTML code that Microsoft uses is intended for the print-based world of word-processing and not the web-based world of email. This can lead to those inconsistent and unexpected results like you’re experiencing.

Whenever you copy and paste in text, I would recommend that you then use Emma’s “Remove Formatting” button to clear out any troublesome formatting that might have come with your text from Word. Just high-light the text and press this button on the toolbar:

After that, you can use Emma’s toolbar to re-apply your styles of your choice. That should lead to a much more consistent result in your recipient’s inbox. I hope this helps, and let me know if I can assist with anything else!
Photo of Kelly Scott Madison

Kelly Scott Madison

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Ben... I'm also having the same issues, and I even went through all the text boxes to replace any copy/pasted material with manually entered text. Still the same problems arise once i mail a test version...

The issue is with a mailer titled "KSM Company Bulletin 6.9.14." A header called "KSM CARES" at the bottom of the right column of this document has a huge space below it and the corresponding content that it's linked to. Can you help us fix this asap?

Thanks,

-Jon
Photo of Rachel Rogers

Rachel Rogers, Communications Strategist

• 89 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hey Jon! I'm currently taking a look at your campaign. I see that you added a new community thread as well, so I'm going to post my findings there. I should have some more information for you soon!
(Edited)
Hi, Ben, I am actually having the same problem with the formatting. I tried your suggestion, but I am still experiencing the same problem. Even newsletters that I have archived in my work email have been changed. These are editions that I myself did not work on. Is there a solution?
Photo of Rachel Rogers

Rachel Rogers, Communications Strategist

• 89 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hey there!
My sincere apologies that we missed your post here.  If you're still experiencing formatting issues when sending mailings from Emma, I'd love to offer any help that I can. If you have a specific campaign in your account that I can test for you, please let me know!

Best,
Rachel