Image quality degraded after send

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Anyone else experiencing this? We'll build an email in Emma and preview it -- images look sharp. Once we send and open , though, the images look blurry and the quality has been degraded. Example:

Here's the App Store button we've inserted:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/emma-assets/od6ab/24183a1b807b9788ccb640e762d5535f/Apple_App_Store_Button.p...

After being sent:
http://d31hzlhk6di2h5.cloudfront.net/20160413/24/18/3a/1b/807b9788ccb640e762d5535f_400x118.png

I thought this was an issue with Gmail, but the issue persists in the "web view" of the email as well.
Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Phillip M

Phillip M, Official Rep

• 247 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hey Matt,

Phillip from Emma Support here! It is common for the rendering of images to vary from the editor to inboxes and there could be several things in play in this instance. However, I think the most likely culprit is image size. I hopped into you account and after viewing that particular image, I think this issue may be resolved by importing a larger image. Also, as a best practice, if you need to change the file extension for the image, do so before adding it to the Emma image library. If that is the only photo you have access to, another possible solution is to enhance the sharpness of your current image with the image editor tools. I hope this helps and just let me know if you need anything else!
Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Philip, I'm a little confused. We had to intention of changing the image size. This happened all by itself upon sending. I'm not sure why we would upload a larger image? Keep in mind, too, the image quality was like this in the web view, not just in email clients.

There should be no enhancements or editing required as the image was perfect as-is when we uploaded it and exactly what Apple provides.
(Edited)
Photo of Phillip M

Phillip M, Official Rep

• 247 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hi Matt, 

Thanks for getting this additional info to me! What Cale is discussing in his post is definitely part of the foundation for my original suggestion. However, I would like to take some time and investigate this a bit further. Hopefully, we can unravel the mystery quickly and get you back to creating those great looking emails with super crisp images. As soon as I have some new info, I'll let you know!
Photo of Phillip M

Phillip M, Official Rep

• 247 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hey Matt,

After taking a closer look at the images and talking it over with a few colleagues, it appears as if the best course of action here is to upload those images at 1280px wide as mentioned in some of our previous threads. We have found that this should fix these issues and is best practice moving forward. If you have any additional questions, please let me know. Thanks!
Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Phillip, I don't mean to be difficult, but that's not a very reasonable solution. Some of our visual assets for digital aren't large enough for that. Plus, the size of the email will be huge if we do that for every image. Large filesize = slow for mobile users = more abandoned users and fewer clicks. Large emails also get "clipped" in Gmail.

I understand that we would need to do that for sharp images on high-density "retina" displays, but we shouldn't be having problems on regular displays.
Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Thanks Cale. I guess we'll have to work on creating larger elements. Did I miss the announcement for retina support? I still have concern with GMail clipping, but it doesn't seem we have much choice.
(Edited)
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey Matt -- No, you did not. I announced the new features of the image library here and here but did not specifically call attention to the added retina support. I'm sorry about that confusion. You will find that our help documentation on the image library is fully updated to reflect all new features, including the retina support!
Photo of Cale Mooth

Cale Mooth, Product Owner

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Matt,
I want to apologize for the image trouble you're seeing. With certain images, especially images with high-contrast text, we've noticed fuzzy edges when those images aren't retina-ready. We're looking into that, and currently exploring potential solutions. 

However, I do want to encourage you to consider upgrading your assets to be retina/high-density display ready, as that will ensure you're sending the most clear and detailed images for all devices and screens. 

With mobile views around 55%, that means a large portion of your audience is seeing blurry images, as most mobile devices have high-density displays.

Current industry trends suggest 600-800K as a reasonable size for image heavy email. Customers that are taking advantage of Emma's new retina feature are seeing an increase in send size, but so far we're seeing those sizes come in well below 600K.

Apologies again for the trouble. 

Sincerely,
Cale
(Edited)