Changing the Google Analytics source parameter

• Idea
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
Hi -

In my analytics I can see where my changes to the Google Analytics box correspond to the campaign name, but I see no way to change the "Source" on a per email basis. Is there a way to change this, as currently it shows up as "newsletter", but not all of my emails are newsletters.

If anything, if it's not possible to change this it should say something like "Emma" or "MyEmma".

Thanks,

Kyle
Photo of 59E59 Theaters

59E59 Theaters

• 17 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • hopeful

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Paul Zimmerman-Clayton

Paul Zimmerman-Clayton, Official Rep

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey Kyle, 

When you add Google Analytics by adding the campaign name, Emma automatically fills in the Medium and Source. There isn't a way to manually change the source if you're adding Google Analytics on the Test send or Review and Send screen, thought I can definitely see how that would be a useful feature for you. I'll let our development team know you're looking for more control over your Analytics, and hopefully we'll see that built in the future. 

For more information on the feature as it stands now, head here.

In the meantime, there is a workaround, but it would require building your own links. Head here to Google's Link Builder tool and you have complete control over each parameter. Then, once you've built those links, add them to your text or images, and don't add Google Analytics on the Test or Review and Send screen. 
I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions!
(Edited)
Photo of 59E59 Theaters

59E59 Theaters

• 17 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for the info.

A way to change the source from "newsletter" on a per email basis would be really useful.

Thanks,

Kyle
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Kyle! I want to jump in to let you know I've talked with our Product Team about getting this added to our work down the line. It isn't on the current roadmap, which is why this conversation's status reads Not Planned, yet we'll keep you updated about any changes to that status. I'm so glad you've shared this!
Photo of Jason Buzzell

Jason Buzzell

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'd love to have the paramters for each mailing automatically tracked on every email in an account/sub account. It's really rare for everyday users here that they will remember the step to add in a Google Analytics mailing name on every mailing. Even just getting newsletter / email and mailing subject line passed through would be great.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Jason -- Can you tell me the name of your account so that I can be sure to associate this feature request with the right account? Thanks!
Photo of Jason Buzzell

Jason Buzzell

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Emily. Unomaha.edu is our agency account.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi friends -- I've updated the status here to Under consideration. Our Product team is considering this work as part of a more expansive Google Analytics integration. Keep sharing your use cases with us here, and I'll be sure to pass it along to the team. :)
Photo of Jason Buzzell

Jason Buzzell

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for the update Emily. 
Photo of Cleveland Zoological Society

Cleveland Zoological Society

• 22 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
We would also benefit from being able to customize the utm=source (I'd love it to say "Emma") and the utm=medium (we send out "newsletters", "eblasts" and "erenewals.) Still trying to figure out a better way to see these results in GA without doing everything manually. Thank you! 
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Thanks for your feedback!   I'll get you added into this request! Cheers!
Photo of Noah Shunfenthal

Noah Shunfenthal

• 21 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
+1 

Just started using Emma and the ability to change the utm_source on the email review/send screen would be great. Got some long emails that I don't want to always have to hardcode utm_source in - since not everything we send is a newsletter!

Thanks!
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 7 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Need this!

If we can't edit the source and medium, how about completely removing the default values for source and medium and the tag we add in the Google analytics field is appended to every link in the email. 
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Thanks Mike, I'll pass along your feedback! 
Photo of Samuel Bethel

Samuel Bethel

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Just wanted to chime in and add that this would be extremely useful for us as well. My organization has a specific UTM naming convention, which doesn't align with Emma's default text. It would be a HUGE improvement to just remove the default values for source and medium.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Thanks for the feedback, Samuel!  I'll pass it along!
Photo of Samuel Bethel

Samuel Bethel

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks, Grey — it's much appreciated. Out of curiosity though, what's the rationale behind pre-populating the values for source and medium? Is it intended to be more convenient or is there another reason?  
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
I'm not entirely sure of the rationale, but for creating something with consistency for things coming FROM Emma.  The idea of using Emma generated GA tags is that it is quicker than building your own. 

The other option, if you are wanting to use different GA tags, would be to generate the links in your own and not use the Emma-applied tags.  It doesn't really make any difference whether Emma applies the tags or the links are brought in with the tags, so long as you don't do BOTH.  That would double the tags and break the links.