Hard Bounces for verified email address with small local provider domain.

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Not a Problem
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

We are getting hard bounces for verified email addresses, many from a small local provider with domain eoni.com. This is not a whitelisting problem. I just called the support team at EONI, tried to send a test email, and he didn't receive it.  This affects all of our groups. 
Photo of Hells Canyon Preservation Council

Hells Canyon Preservation Council

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Paul Zimmerman-Clayton

Paul Zimmerman-Clayton, Official Rep

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hey there, thanks for posting! You're right, this doesn't sound like a strict whitelisting issue, since you're not having problems receiving at the same domain as your sending email address. Whitelisting could potentially be a solution, however, if it's done at on the receiving end at eoni.com. Here's what I see, and what what we might be able to do about it:

I'm seeing inconsistent delivery across eoni.com email addresses. Delivery is inconsistent across the whole domain, as some addresses are receiving and some are not. Delivery is also inconsistent for individual email addresses; some email addresses are hard bouncing one day, but receiving the next. The combination of issues makes it difficult to determine exactly what's going on, but if you've verified each of those email addresses and know for sure that they're all good, we can be certain the problem lies with eoni.com receiving Emma mailings that are sent on your behalf. 

To get to the bottom of this, I would start by updating your SPF record to let receiving servers know that Emma is authorized to send on your behalf. You can find more information about that process here. If that doesn't resolve things, the ideal solution for delivery would be for eoni.com to whitelist Emma. This would let that receiving server let any emails sent by Emma to pass through without scrutiny. Information on whitelisting is here. That document also includes sending IP and domain ranges, which may be helpful for troubleshooting. 

If you've updated your SPF record and you're still seeing inconsistent delivery to that domain, let me know! Also let me know the testing email address to which you're sending, and I'll see if I can uncover any more details.
(Edited)

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Paul, thanks so much for looking into this.  The test email address I was sending to was davidp@eoni.com.  I think they also have a general email of support@eoni.com.  I will definitely start digging in to the SPF stuff, and will update here.  Unfortunately we pretty much send mailings monthly, so it might be a while before I know the success of it.
Photo of Paul Zimmerman-Clayton

Paul Zimmerman-Clayton, Official Rep

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
No problem! Just let me know when you do your next mailing, and we'll see if there are any improvements!

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We did send one "Save the Date" email after updating SPF and had a 97% delivery rate.  Yay!  However, most of those emails were from the Portland area and didn't include our local email provider that we've been having trouble with.  I'll keep you updated once we send our monthly newsletter, but initially, it is looking like it has helped.  Thank you!